Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.43 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

438 lbs gone in 5 days - My Build Story

I am on my third 911, and got a bug to do something to it. My last one was a Cab, and I felt it was too nice for the track. So I sold it, but not before buying an 87 Coupe.

I have always been mechanical, but I really never worked on the first two, and I really cannot answer why that is. I would of course do basic repairs, but I never dove in. When I bought the 87 however, things started to change. I started doing Autocross, and DE. I love Karting, so this big car stuff has all been awesome for me. So...after getting the know the car a bit, and reading all of the things on this site, I decided to build my car.

I did not like the weight of the car and how it got out of turns. I also had some brake overheating issue even though the brakes are ducted. I looked at the history of the 911 and the weights just keep going up. The power did not make a huge jump until the 3.6L engine, so I decided to take some weight out of the car. I have read plenty of articles about guys who get their cars to 1900 lbs wet, and I have NO intention of getting in this deep. (famous last words!) I love the way the pre "driver aid" 911's feel, and particularly the early cars. So, my intention is to remove what I do not want or need in the car, while keeping it civilized to drive on the street. I want to backdate to some degree, and just end up with a great looking and great performing ride.

Here is where the car started. These are pics of the car at Sebring. Please notice that I have the car set pretty low. You will not believe the pics I will post in few days. It is a basically stock 87 Carrera. It has SW Chip, Turbo Tie Rods, AJ Brake Ducts, Ducky, Cat Bypass, and GHL muffler.

When I started doing the research, I found a ton of info right here on this site. I have asked for help and the responses have been unbelieveable. What I could not find was a real accurate weight chart for taking stuff of out of the 74-89 SC/Carrera's. It might exist, but what the heck I might as well make one. I went out and got a very accurate scale and weighed EVERYTHING that came out of the car. Not only that, but I listed every item by the Porsche Part Number so that there is no confusion about; "Is it the same for my car" for any future slippery slopers. I also include the PCar models the part is applicable for. This is a sample of my front bumper breakdown just to wet your appetite.

So - I am armed with the Porsche Part and Technical Reference Catalog, The Porsche 911 Carrera Service Manual, my friends at Pelican, and my 6 year old son who wants to help. I started on Sunday July 20th, and I have worked on the weekends for a total of 5 days as of today. I have, in that time, removed a documented 437.71 pounds!! and there is still more to go. Please keep in mind that I am not going weight loss crazy. I am not stripping undercoat, or drilling holes. But what I am doing is documenting the items that would be typical of a backdate project. I hope to answer questions such as:
  • What is net loss on RS bumper install?
  • What is net loss on different seats?
  • What parts are hard to take off the car and how I solved it!
  • What does a car look like when you take off 400+ lbs?
  • Is going to the RSA door panel worth it?
  • How do you get your fiberglass bumper to line up with your short hood?
  • What does it all weigh?
Please enjoy.

Last edited by ShakinJoe; 08-05-2008 at 07:55 PM..
Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
1-6-2-4-3-5-1-6-2-4-3-...

Garage
That is ****ing beautiful man! Great job!
I have no intentions of actively losing weight on my car but it is clearly evident how valuable this info will be for others. I can also imagine a setup where people can weigh parts and go stick that number in online.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PSportoVeloce
Brilliant! I can't wait to see more.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

This is shaping up to be one of the best threads of the year in my opinion. You have clearly decided to put a lot of detail work into this and it should be a BIG help for later comers. One idea if it was square with you would be to also make the data available to those interested in the excel file (or whatever you used).

Great job, I want to hear a LOT more about what you actually removed to get the 400+ pounds off besides the front bumper.

- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Great thread!!! Can't wait to see how it all pans out, if you need anything put in excel for a "calculator" type file let me know and I can help out.

Love to see these proejcts!

And on the door panels, you loose minimal weight but it sets the attitude of the car from high street cruiser to cafe racer.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Excellent thread - subscribed.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Great stuff

I just finished building a "light weight" 911SC coupe, I weighed a few things, but have guessed at the total savings. Let me know if you need any "tips" or want to exchange info. Hopefully you'll bring the car to the next DE at Sebring.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
AirBorne!

subscribed
2008 997 C4S Silver, Kitty Cat, 1989 3.4 911 Silver Carrera, Erica, 1989 944S2 NASA GTS2, Iris, 1988 944 DE Car, Backdate 1970 3.0 PMO from a 1975S - Roxanne, 1970 911T widebody w 3.0 and megasquirt - sold to a great home to be reborne as a 911 ST, 1967 912 soon to become 912/6 with a 67s motor, 89 VW Cabriolet - 2.0 conversion - sold and missed
Old 08-04-2008, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
At the track = great day

Garage
Nice! Keep up the good work. I'll be interested in seeing the full breakdown when you are done.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I will make it available to all in spreadsheet form when complete. The date should be around September. Prior to making it available, I will send word out to find out if there are any items that I have missed or not weighed that you would like added.

I will be at the DE in Sebring in September if all goes according to plan. I want to shake the car down for a couple of weeks prior to the track.

Last edited by ShakinJoe; 08-04-2008 at 08:11 AM..
Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
I saw Joe's car on sunday - you should see how high it rides now (and was quite slammed - below euro height) Looks like a dog humpin a football now.

To me this is an ideal way to go - buy a fat a$$ carrera. Sell the heavy weight stuff to buy light weight seats and other go fast goodies.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Torsion Bar Hole Fix?

Does anyone have pics or a solution for fixing the torsion bar hole on the 87-89 Carreras? When you take off the side skirts it is a semi circle.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakinJoe View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will make it available to all in spreadsheet form when complete. The dat should be around September. Prior to making it available, I will send word out to find out if there are any items that I have missed or not weighed that you would like added.

I will be at the DE in Sebring in September if all goes according to plan. I want to shake the car down for a couple of weeks prior to the track.
That would be excellent. I put my signal/marker lights into my RUF bumper but it's good to know what they weigh.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Home Depot/Lowe's/local mom and pop should have plastic plugs in various sizes. A utility knife and some light weight epoxy should get it to fit and stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakinJoe View Post
Does anyone have pics or a solution for fixing the torsion bar hole on the 87-89 Carreras? When you take off the side skirts it is a semi circle.

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Excellent!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Just a thought, 15" 7X8 Fuchs w 225/50 Michelin Pilot Sport Cups can be good for 40+ lbs savings.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Tire and Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Just a thought, 15" 7X8 Fuchs w 225/50 Michelin Pilot Sport Cups can be good for 40+ lbs savings.
I have two set of Fuchs 16" and both are 7's and 8's but have very different tires. Are you saying that going to the 15's vs 16s save that much?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Looks like 15 v 16 alone is good for about 20 lbs.

Tires depending on choice can be another 20 lbs. I am running Dunlop Star Specs 225/205, the Cup's are about 22lbs lessif I ran 225/50's per TireRack.com.

http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/WheelWts.html
Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Plus about a 4% gearing advantage with 24.9" v 23.9".
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

So what were the top three weight saving part changes?

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
backdate , carrera , weight