Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Starter Wiring Problem

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've been searching it for a while and getting help with my projects. This time however, I couldn't find an answer to my problem without registering.

So, I've been having starter issues, intermittently for a while but then a couple weeks ago it gave out completely. Like an idiot I jumped the gun and ordered a new (high torque) starter figuring that was the issue, before I did the proper tests to pinpoint the problem. Well, of course I put it in and it doesn't even click. So I came on here, and researched a bit, then started testing things in a more logical way.

Tested the ignition switch at terminal 50, I can hear a click like a relay coming from up front, near the smuggler's box, but it doesn't jump start the car.

Tried testing continuity on the yellow wire then, and I get nothing.

So my question is...Where does the yellow wire go? I'm having trouble tracing it after it enters the wiring harness and disappears under the dash.

I know that it goes to an A/C relay, and heater switch, but admittedly I don't know where these are... Please help, I would much rather find the bad connection rather than have to rewire the whole thing.

Thanks - Graham
Old 11-28-2009, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Also, not sure how helpful it is, but the car's an '82 SC, and it had A/C, however it was broken, so I removed it, and then shortly after all of this started happening. Did I just bump something when taking everything out, or do you this is even related?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
not sure how helpful it is, but the car's an '82 SC, and it had A/C,
Yes, the type of car you are working on is important. The earlier narrow bodied cars have a much simpler wiring setup. Here is a good link that includes the following information:

For an early SC like yours, the Yellow wire, terminal 50 at the switch and at the starter, has a long route. It goes from the switch, through a bulkhead plug, to the 14 pin engine compartment harness, and on to the starter. Disconnect the plugs and clean and separate the pins with a razor blade. Since you had A/C, there is also a double plug coupler buried in the heater box, that taps the yellow wire to the A/C relay in the smugglers box. The yellow wire is also tapped into the heater ventilation switch. You need to trace, unplug, and clean all of the connections. Since your A/C has been removed, I'd start with those connections first.

Have replaced about everything and STILL no juice to starter
Old 11-28-2009, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Like an idiot I jumped the gun and ordered a new (high torque) starter figuring that was the issue, before I did the proper tests to pinpoint the problem.

Hello Graham,

Don't be so hard on yourself, you probably did the right thing and will save time and money in the long run. Are you sure you have it hooked up correctly ? Don't forget you have to fabricate a connection for the Cold Start Valve with a mini starter (blue or yellow and blue). There is no shortage of starter problem posts to read, and I've described the yellow wire route for a late 911SC in my other posts. One problem is that you really can't test the wiring without a known good starter to provide the correct load. The rebuilt Bosch starter have a poor reputation that gets worse every year they age.

I would disconnect the battery and while the battery is charging, clean the terminals, the ground stud next to the battery, the ground stud next to the gearbox mount and the other end of the ground strap. Hook the positive end of a voltmeter to the large yellow wire (some late SC's have two yellow wires at the starter, the large one with the 90 degree end is from the ignition switch) and the other meter wire to the engine/gearbox ground. Turn the key to start and see if you get full voltage at the yellow wire. If not, work from the rear of the car forward, start at the 14 pin connector under the plastic cover on the driver's side rear engine compartment . Then move on the the plug behind the heater blower. There are relays on your car to turn off the A/C and heater blowers when the key in in the start position to save power for the solenoid load. The electrical part of the switch can fail, and the mechanical switch can fail separtely, then it is time to go for a push button. I like to fit a engine compartment starter button on all of my cars and the $8 is well spent at this time. Then if you have an intermittent fault that takes weeks to trace, or the eventual switch failure, you can simply laugh at the key, get out of the car smiling, lift the lid and crank the engine. Just make sure it is in neutral first.

Last edited by psalt; 11-28-2009 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: brain fade
Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yellow wires at 14-pin connector @#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub117 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've been searching it for a while and getting help with my projects. This time however, I couldn't find an answer to my problem without registering.

So, I've been having starter issues, intermittently for a while but then a couple weeks ago it gave out completely. Like an idiot I jumped the gun and ordered a new (high torque) starter figuring that was the issue, before I did the proper tests to pinpoint the problem. Well, of course I put it in and it doesn't even click. So I came on here, and researched a bit, then started testing things in a more logical way.

Tested the ignition switch at terminal 50, I can hear a click like a relay coming from up front, near the smuggler's box, but it doesn't jump start the car.

Tried testing continuity on the yellow wire then, and I get nothing.

So my question is...Where does the yellow wire go? I'm having trouble tracing it after it enters the wiring harness and disappears under the dash.

I know that it goes to an A/C relay, and heater switch, but admittedly I don't know where these are... Please help, I would much rather find the bad connection rather than have to rewire the whole thing.

Thanks - Graham

Graham,

Open up your 14-pin connector located in the engine compartment by the fuse panel. Located at #1 are two (2) yellow wires:

BIG yellow wire coming from ign. SW @50 and going to STARTER @ 50.
Small yellow wire coming from E16 (heater blower sw) and going to J14 (heater blower relay).

In your case, concentrate on the big yellow wires going to the starter. In case like this, I would make sure that the starter is good and working before doing any further investigation. Once you have verified the integrity of your starter, you could proceed to the wiring connections or others.

Tony
Old 11-28-2009, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

good advise from the 2 above,as always.

cleaning is the first thing.

you said you heard a click from up front. do you have a car alarm? if so, that is your problem. usually there is a realy up front for disabling the start. take all that crap out and connect everything back to orginal. usally there is a relay spliced into the yellow wire. if so, remove it and get a good crimp and crimp and solder the wire, if you know how to solder.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , starter , yellow wire