LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.2 intake on my EFI 2.7?

Hey:

Will the 3.2 intake bolt up to a 2.7?

Thank you.

pat

'74 911 options delete no sunroof. lowered, swaybars, tie bar, braided brake lines, corner balanced, "s" gauges, 993tt seats, Momo wheel and knob, 993 mirrors, blacked out window trim, H4's, short gearing, S pistons, stand alone EFI, other stuff.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Physically, yes it will fit with no issues. functionally, the ID is a bit large for the 2.7 and you will need to blend the head intake diameter to match the nominal 40mm intake runner.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had the same question recently about a 3.0. I had some (maybe faulty) memory that there was an incompatibility with the 3.0 heads but I guess it's a straight bolt up also?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Guy posted some pics a few days ago, you need to machine in the indent for the injector and mate up the intake runners to the earlier heads. He said he used some sealer between them.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Scott, are you referring to 2.7 or 3.0 or both? Could you possibly post a link to the thread - I can't find it

I want to know if it's possible to put a 3.2 intake on a big port 3.0 without machining the heads. The ports are only off by 1mm so I'm not really worried about that issue.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

You need to clearance the CIS injector port. The EFI tip in the 3.2 manifold is in a slightly different position compared to the CIS runner. I am sure much has to do with the diameter of the injector bodies. There are some pictures here.
EFI conversion

Keep in mind these are for a 930 head where the port diameter is quite small. If you look at page 2 of the thread (post #50) you will see a spacer that can prevent modifications to the head from being made. It would be easy to fab the spacer from phenolic or ABS and install longer studs to compensate for the distance change.

SO yeah, it can be done without grinding the heads. Slight, yet reversible head modifications are required.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KobaltBlau View Post
Scott, are you referring to 2.7 or 3.0 or both? Could you possibly post a link to the thread - I can't find it

I want to know if it's possible to put a 3.2 intake on a big port 3.0 without machining the heads. The ports are only off by 1mm so I'm not really worried about that issue.
Machine some spacers, sell them and make a fortune?
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 06-08-2010, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
You need to clearance the CIS injector port. The EFI tip in the 3.2 manifold is in a slightly different position compared to the CIS runner. I am sure much has to do with the diameter of the injector bodies. There are some pictures here.
EFI conversion

Keep in mind these are for a 930 head where the port diameter is quite small. If you look at page 2 of the thread (post #50) you will see a spacer that can prevent modifications to the head from being made. It would be easy to fab the spacer from phenolic or ABS and install longer studs to compensate for the distance change.

SO yeah, it can be done without grinding the heads. Slight, yet reversible head modifications are required.
Nice, post #50 is just what I wanted to see. I wonder if there's any chance the injectors would just fit though, with the 3.0 big ports.

When you say "slight, yet reversible head modifications are required" you mean bolting on the spacers? does that count as modifying the head?

In any case, if I have to use spacers I should be able to make some very much like the ones in post #50 with some phenolic or ABS, but it should be easier because the port size is almost the same. Make a fortune? I don't think so! Now, where did I put that CNC?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
Machine some spacers, sell them and make a fortune?
And/or make some that taper from the 3.2 intake manifold to the small intake ports on the 2.7.
Anyone have a solution for the port size difference between the two. (FYI I'm working with a 1977 2.7)

'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: