Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

911 t clutch doesnt release enough

Hi a while ago i had a new clutch installed in my 1970 911 t. it worked good for 2 years and the car is stored every winter in the garage. this year its been giving trouble and oesn not release enough and car wants to grind when putting it in gear. i took it to someone to adjust it and its even worse. now to get it in reverse i have to put it in reverse before i start the car. the pedal engages the clutch down near the floorboard. it seems that if the clutch is adjusted enough to sufficiently release that it also hyperextends and makes a grindinging noise. there is such a fine adjustment between the cable adjustment and the pedal stop adjustment that there is no room for error. after driving it seems that the problem gets worse after the clutch heat up. could it be dirt, dust or debris from mice? or oil on the disc that has burned and makes it stick? or just adjusted too tight? when i first got the car i got used to driving it with a worn clutch that would slip if you floored the car too hard and it the pedal released up higher. any ideas are appreciated.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

clutch release

I just run into the same problem on my 72 911T
my bushings are all brand new and the clutch cable is only one year old.
When I put the car on the hoist and checked the cable, I seen that the cable cover from firewall to transmission is not smooth any more. It looks like it collapsed on two spots. Meaning that the cover is now shorter and I had to tighten the adj. on the cable.
Have to test drive it when it is warm again and see.
Also check if the cable restraint webbing is still OK or broken.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I had this problem on my '75. In my case it was worn bushings at the transmission. This caused the cable to stretch with every pedal press, and changed the engagement point.

Check to ensure your cable isn't stretching. Additionally, disconnect the cable at the transmission check the action of the lever-arm it connects to. In my case, it became obvious where the problem was once that was done.

'75 Targa in "Arrest Me" Red, 3.0SC ('79) engine, Bilsteins, Turbo Tie-rods, SSIs into 2-1 M&K muffler... and looking for my next upgrade.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Probably dissimilar problems between a ’70-’71 type 911 and the ’72-> type 915.

The ’70-’71 clutch release system was engineered by Herr Professor Rube Goldberg. (With apologies to the late cartoonist Rube Goldberg.)

This clutch requires all the pieces to be in good (like new) condition and properly adjusted (a real challenge).
The usual suspects are:
The “dreaded’ plastic piece (best replaced with an aftermarket aluminum part available from our host).
The support ‘ring’ on the side of the differential side-cover casting is worn.
The clutch cable is failing.
The clutch release arm pivot is worn/backing out/etc.
The chassis bulkhead where the Bowden tube seats is cracked.
The ‘loop support’ is missing or out of place.
Some PO has been there with an ‘inventive repair’.

Search Pelican on my name and “pull-type” to find lots more, including pictures and diagrams.

Best,
Grady

Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: