Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing A/C? (1987 911)

I've been thinking about removing the air conditioning from my '87 911.

It's completely stock, but the air conditioner is pretty much useless. I've heard that they were not much better when they were new.

I resisted the temptation to remove the system last year, based upon the theory that even a non functioning system would enhance resale value, but I think that I love the car enough to keep it for the long haul. I will either live without AC, or replace the system with one of the aftermarket setups.

My questions:

1) Am I being foolish to consider this?

2) When installing an aftermarket system, are ALL the stock components removed?

3) If I choose to remove it, how do I go about it?

2006 Cayman S, Seal Gray

1983 911 Targa, Black: The Dirty 911 (GRM)
Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
'84 911 Targa

Garage
I just removed the Compressor and Evaporator and left everything else in place - so the next owner can easily install if he/she wants.

Mine never worked well anyway.

It really cleans up the engine and saves some weight.

Alternatively, you can remove all the hoses, electrical, etc. to really save a bunch more weight - but I am not that committed to the work and resale hit if I sell the car someday.

There are a lot of other posts on this - and i think i have covered both camps.

FYI - removing the bracket that holds the compressor is a pia. I had my engine out and it was a lot easier to remove. Definitely cleans the engine area up....
Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

1. No, lots of people have removed the AC systems. If it's what you want - do it. Can't imagine it will make a significant difference on resale if it's not working anyway. And you can just dump it all in a box to give to the buyer if you decide to sell. One caveat - if you think you might eventually install an upgrade kit - you may want to leave the hoses to the front condensor in place. That way you can tie a cord to them to use to pull the new hoses back through.

2. Depends on the upgrade. Lots of variations on the theme available. Can replace all or some of the parts. I replaced everything but the rear decklid condensor.

3. Step 1 - have any remaining refrigerant evacuated and reclaimed if possible. Then it's just a matter of disconnecting and removing the components. Not really all that difficult. Just a bit tedious and dirty.
1955 Chevy Apache 3100 Pickup

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jack

I did the full post op routine, all hoses, etc. Though I did save the mounting HW, especially the bracket and hose clamps.

The system really didn't work, and if you or someone else upgrades it, you will get new condensers and most importantly hoses.

-Jack
Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Jupiter 911

Woody I have the same situation, 87 Targa, the AC still works but like cr-p. So far I removed my belt but am hesitant about going any further. I live in Florida and it can get really hot but on the flip side if the AC isnt working that well whats the use. I hope someone can push me over the edge to remove it!
Euro pistons and cylinders.
2002 Boxster Artic Silver/Wifes ride.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
AC question

I have an 1987 and was not happy with the ac system in my car. I went the route of updating the system which included a Pro Cooler, serpentine evaporator, para ell rear condenser and all new hoses.

The results are great; it works like an ac system should. It has stood up to the summer weather we are having here in Dallas.

I would keep the system and up date.

History is the lie we all agree to..........
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Jupiter 911

I think I will look into the upgrade you did. Bottom line in Florida its almost a must in summer. I dont believe I will ever sell it but if I do it will be a plus.
Euro pistons and cylinders.
2002 Boxster Artic Silver/Wifes ride.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ironically, I just removed the A/C system from my '87 this past weekend. It was a remarkably cleansing experience. I had been fretting about it for a year and finally took the plunge. When I was finished I wondered why it took me so long to ditch the useless junk in the first place. Nothing permanent, after all. If I decide to reinstall A/C I'll need all new stuff anyway.

From start to finish it took about a day. The most time consuming part is removing the compressor mount from the engine.

Unless you want to upgrade to an aftermarket system, I say remove the old useless stuff now!

Randy
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

What's the trick to removing the compressor mount in the engine bay? I removed everything else last winter (very cleansing), but gave up on the mount. I think it looked like I had to pull the injectors. Is that risky?

Carl
'87 Coupe
Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Can someone actually document faster lap times by removing their ac system...as opposed to say, oh, I don't know...maybe making sure their suspension was dialed in?
Sorry, couldn't help myself, I'm in Dallas and it's been over 100 for about 20 of 21 days with no end in sight so getting rid of a/c really isn't an option.
Really regret selling my Audi A4...not sure if any manufacturer is more inept at ac systems than Porsche in the 80's...at least as far as anything I've ever owned.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Driver...

I just removed mine for three reasons...

1) It didn't work
2) With it gone, better access to the engine bay
3) I live in Seattle - natual AC all around us
'90 325is
'01 X5 (costs more to own than any 911)
Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
'84 911 Targa

Garage
I had the engine out so removing the condensor mount was really easy. I can't imagine doing it any other way.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

[QUOTE=cscholz;5515874]What's the trick to removing the compressor mount in the engine bay? I removed everything else last winter (very cleansing), but gave up on the mount. I think it looked like I had to pull the injectors. Is that risky?

Fortunately you don't need to touch the injectors but you do need to remove the muffler and the bracket covering the lower pulley. I did it with the engine in the car and it wasn't that hard - just time consuming.

Randy
Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I was in the same position and ended up replacing the compressor and getting a working AC. It is really nice being able to roll up the windows on the highway and driving comfortably. I live in hot Texas so it's almost necessary, but even if you live in cooler climates, being able to talk to someone while going 70mph makes it very nice. I think you will never regret spending money on a working AC (you will get some of that back on resale), but there will be plenty of times when you wish you had one. I did a heater backdate and that cleaned up the engine bay much more than removing the compressor.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I do like the heater backdate idea but I'm too old and feeble to not have a/c in Texas!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Jack

In all the AC threads, there is a very common theme that sums it up nicely.

1. The original version sucks.
2. If you live someplace temperate (west coast) rip it out, you or your mechanic will greatly thank you next time you pull out a wrench
3. If you live someplace muggy hot...well, looks like you are up to spending a couple grand to upgrade it to a functional level, do everything including the 25 year old hoses.

Seems like a decent summary.

-Jack
Old 08-20-2010, 08:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

I have an 87 930 and was checking it out after I got it and noticed that the PO had installed a 12V fan under the condensor in the tail, lots of room for it with the tail and my AC blows cold. I mean cold, my glasses fog over when I get out of the car, I love AC and would never consider taking it out of my car.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
SAIGON 68

Garage
i removed all ac stuff. then installed swing-out rear windows. (not easy) 1978 930. with sunroof and all windows open, 100 df is not really that bad. i'm glad i did it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_morrison57 View Post
I have an 87 930 and was checking it out after I got it and noticed that the PO had installed a 12V fan under the condensor in the tail, lots of room for it with the tail and my AC blows cold. I mean cold, my glasses fog over when I get out of the car, I love AC and would never consider taking it out of my car.
Are all on the other components of the system stock? Does the fan pull or push?

And I'd love to have flip out windows, but I've also heard that it's a PITA.

2006 Cayman S, Seal Gray

1983 911 Targa, Black: The Dirty 911 (GRM)
Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
AC Up Date

Living in Texas without ac would be impossible. I had a 1982 SC when I lived in south Florida and it was satisfactory, the temperature seldom got over 95 degrees, and I used the car as a daily driver; it was my only car. The only draw back was when the compressor, made by York, kicked on your could feel the car slow down

The heat in Texas is another story. you have to make mods to the systems if you want good vent temps. Mine are 39 degrees on a 104 day

History is the lie we all agree to..........
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: