Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

MFI Protractors P228b and P228c again

I have been working on remanufacturing the Porsche MFI correlation protractors, special tools P228b and P228c. These will be an exact replica of the original Porsche special tools, except they will be fitted with much stronger Neodymium magnets in place of the original Ferrite magnets.

The degree scales have been accurately calibrated to each protractor individually in 1-degree intervals as the originals and accurately printed Black on Silver foil vinyl with a clear oil resisting coating to protect the print.

Itís going to be a set of five protractors in spun zinc plated steel with 2mm brass pointers preformed to fit. I am intending to provide the sets in a durable plastic case with custom fitted foam insert. The sets of protractors will be supplied with detailed fitting and operating instructions similar to my Step-by-Step MFI pump guide.

The tooling for the protractors is now complete and I have made the jigs for bending the pointers. I expect to finish making the protractors by the end of January.

I would like to get a feel for how much demand there might be for them as the more I make the lower I can get the price. If anyone wants to express and interest can they send me a PM or email me their details to mjb@911mfi.com and I will add you to a database I started from replies from 911s register.

Michael
911mfi.com

Old 12-24-2012, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Fantastic work, Michael. I had a set back when I had a 73E. They were very useful tools. Pricey, but useful.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would be very interested, although a stratospheric price might scare me off.

1972 911t
1999 328is
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I am nearly finished making these now.

The set in the foreground are the new ones I have made, while the ones at the back are Porsche originals.

The prototypes in the photo have been given a light bead blasting to clean them up after welding the magnet holders in place but will have a bright Zinc finish to match the originals.

You can see the holders are smaller than the original ones. This is because the Neodymium magnets are much stronger. I wanted to have them the same size as the originals but they proved to be too strong.

I am having the scale flange on the pump protractor P228 604 reduced in width as its too wide on this prototype.

ETA on the protractors is the end of this month if the cases come in one time. I will email those who have expressed and interest but details with the price are on my site.

below is also the earlier prototype disks where you can see how they fit on to the disk to be laser cut then spun for form the shape.

I have also posted the tooling for the pointers. These look a bit odd but work really well for shaping the 2mm brass rods.

Michael

Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Photos not loaded. I will try again.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have finally finished my protractors project. The set on the left in the last photo are my new ones while those on the right are Porsche originals. There are more photos of the protractors, brass pointers and case with foam insert etc on my book web site if anyone wants to take a look. I am offering a discount at the moment of 20% from the listed price to forum members. I am very pleased with the way they have come out.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would be interested in a set, what kind of price are you looking for, with shipping to California?
2012 Land Rover LR4 HSE
2013 Mini Cooper S, 2011 Mini Countryman S All4
Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet View Post
I would be interested in a set, what kind of price are you looking for, with shipping to California?
Prices are listed on his website: 911mfi.com.

Blut Orange 911 E, 1969
Indisch Rot 911 Carrera 3,0, 1977
Alfa Rosso Alfa Romeo GT Veloce, 1967 (SOLD )
Old 10-22-2014, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Really looks like a nice kit with instructions, makes me want an engine with MFI so I can fool with it...

1972 Targa, nothing matching.
Looking for motor 6124265 and transmission 7720299
Old 10-23-2014, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: