Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1st Porsche - 1977 Carrera 3.0

Hi,

About 2 months ago a friend asked me to retrieve his Porsche from Scotland back to Bristol, England. It had been with a mechanic in Scotland for the last 6 years, supposedly having some minor work done before being sold.

Nothing had happened in the 6 years and, as my friend is no longer able to drive, he just wanted it brought home, recommissioned and sold.

So I went and collected it, expecting to drive it on my trailer, but when I got there the mechanic explained that although it had been running a few days earlier, it had run out of petrol and he hadn't been able to restart it since.
Also the battery kept going flat so he'd removed it. Luckily I have a winch so we winched it on and headed home. The car had been dry stored for the 6 years so looked very good.

Back home I chatted to my friend and his family, and foolishly volunteered to get the Porsche back on the road and then manage the sale for them. I'd always liked the 911's but had never looked at one closely, and didn't even know one of this age had fuel injection, so started searching the web for more information which led me to this excellent forum

Believing the mechanic, I filled with fuel, fitted a new battery, bled the fuel lines and injectors but there was still no life. With the help of my landlord, a retired engineer, we discovered there was no spark, checked the plugs (which were all brand new), checked the new points and found they were incorrectly set, adjusted this and then had a spark.

Now there were signs of firing, but only if I tried to start after manually triggering the injectors and it would only run for a few seconds. I left it for a few hours, thought it might be a problem with cold starting, so the next time I tried as soon as it fired I revved the engine to 3000rpm and kept it there. This worked and the engine stayed running although you should have seen the clouds of smoke from the exhaust

After 10 minutes of running, the smoke cleared, she settled down to a fast idle and everything seemed fine, although the alternator light was on permanently.

A couple of weeks later, after more forum reading and fixing other minor issues (no windscreen washers, drivers window motor burnt out) I tracked the cold starting issue down to a faulty thermotime switch - now bypassed with a simple switch, on for cold start and off for everything else.

A few miles on the road to loosen the brakes and off to the MOT station for the yearly inspection which she passed!
By this time I was having so much enjoyment from tinkering with the Porsche and my first drive surprised me how quick it was, so I made my friend a good offer and bought the Porsche off him.

He had owned the Porsche since 1991 and gave me a history file which included a lot of previous MOT's and also the original handbook and service record. The car was first sold by a Porsche Dealer in Colchester to a company in London and was registered on 24th January 1978. The history also shows the mileage of 74k is correct. It looks as though the car is very original, although some body repairs have been done over the years, there have been no modifications (the VIN number, engine type and number seem to be correct for the model year) so my plan is to keep it original, do a few thousand miles a year and tidy up / fix any minor issues...

Gavin Rogers
Old 10-04-2013, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Looks like you got a really sweet machine. Not sure if you know that the Carrera3.o are on the rise. Good time to have bought.

Is it 74K kms, or miles?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
Fantastic vehicle one of the best mid year models. The engine case uses the turbo case. The crank is the 2.7 and lighter. The body is galvanized. A super car.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Gav,
Very nice indeed ! Love he car exterior and interior especially the seats. All very correct. Not sure about the rubber tail. But check on marketplace discussion. There is a great thread on early Carrera options, much of the discussion is about tails.
None of my business but please remove the shark fin stone guard.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
1977 911S

Garage
Nice Score Gavin!!! I just recently got a 1977 911S that I will be posting a build thread on. Take it easy and Enjoy!

Regards...
Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It's 74k miles.

I was confused to start with as it's registered in '78 so I thought it was a 911SC, but then checked the VIN and started reading about Carrera 3.0's

No idea if the rubber tail is original - I've been reading some of the discussion on tails but difficult to tell

Thanks

Gavin
Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The rubber tail was a factory tail in 1977. I had a friend that once owned a '77 that was equipped with the same tail. I have a 77 Carrera 3.0 that has the fiberglass tail that originated on the 1975 Carrera and was used up until the 1980 Weisssach edition cars. There is some confusion in the 1976 and 1977 years, at least in my mind, regarding which tail you would get on a given car, in a given market. Mine is a genuine tail and appeared to be original to my car when I bought it. It had all the usual Carrera 3.0 options on it, like the rear window wiper and I could see no evidence that it had been added later. My car was originally delivered to a buyer in Germany.

JR
Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
You're sure that still has the 3.0L engine? I see red shroud but 5-blade fan. I didn't think the 5-blade fan was fit to any of the 3.0L engines.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Red shroud is correct for his motor.

I've seen two other 'Carrera 3.0' both with the five blade fans. Likely correct I suspect, but odd as you point out.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It was fitted to the engines in the Carrera 3.0. Not odd at all.

JR
Old 10-05-2013, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

All Carrera 3.0s had 5 blade fans.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Nice Pick up.

Only 3682 C3's ever built and <15% were RHD.(as opposed to 58000 911SC's and 70k + Carrera 3.2's)

Never sold in the USA new.

Some C3's did come with the rubber tail, some with the composite Fiberglass and Ally framed tail.

5 Blade fan was unique to the C3.

Pop out rear windows and the headlight washer jets(these are rare and expensive to replace) although some SC's had the jets up until MY1979.

C3's also shared the 2.7 Carrera/RS crankshaft so its lighter and spins up faster(as opposed to later 911 SC's)

In all a special and rare Model.

Don't let anyone tell you its nothing special. It is. (3682 units worldwide) Its special.
1992 Legacy RS Turbo Estate
Old 10-05-2013, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all your comments

I mentioned the alternator light was on, so that was first on my list of jobs
I changed the external regulator and replaced the brushes but it still wasn't charging so I started to dismantle it further.

The fan and housing were very corroded and it took a lot of careful hammering to remove the pulley, then I removed the 6 through bolts, all the terminal nuts and brush holder so I could split the alternator, leaving just the rear ally case in the fan housing. More careful hammering and it was apart. A close look revealed some rust and a few cracks in the diodes so I ordered a matching exchange unit.
Fan and housing not looking good.

It seemed sensible to clean up the fan and housing while I was in there, and it also meant the new alternator slid into the housing without any effort. I spent a few hours with a wire brush in the grinder and it definitely looks better, although nothing like the standard of some others I've seen, the fan blades are quite pitted in places. Back on the car, everything works as it should, and I refitted the original regulator.

Not knowing the recent history of the car, I also treated her to an oil change, a messy job as there's no drain hole in the sump plate, but I got a total of 11 litres out and refilled with Valvoline VR1 20/50.

My next job is to repair the steering wheel - luckily the leather is not torn, it's just the thread which has rotted, there is no thread at all in this picture of the top half of the wheel. I've got some strong thread and some curved needles so I'll have a go over the weekend...

Gavin
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
red shroud and 5 blade 245mm fan are correct oe fitments

i've seen both the rubber and f/g tails on C3s, it's my belief that the rubber tails were generally added by a dealer or at least late on the production line, it's only advantage is that no painting is necessary of it's added toward the end of the manufacturing process. It's down side is it's weight, just the spoiler w/o the lid or hardware weighs 20#s, right up there w/ a 930 Tea tray
Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
A nice looking C3. The rubber whale tail is correct it has a bit of weight but adds to the character of the car. The rear wiper is standard but a PIA when you open the engine lid as it hits the body at the top of the rear window (I removed mine).
As you are new to the C3 do not use the drivers side lever to try to get the heater to work as it will cause problems when you use the dial to turn on the heater.
Regards,
Richard.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Gavin,

Great find, welcome to the love affair that a C3 brings.

Interesting that your car does not have fog lights front or rear as I thought they were standard fitment on the UK supplied cars as thats what mine came with.

Otherwise your car seems well optioned, as the passenger side mirror and rear wiper were extra cost items.

Cheers
Bill
Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Lovely car. Too bad the steering wheel is on the wrong side...
Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

4 and a half years later, I've still got my Porsche and have been starting to do some work on it.

The first few years I did a few hundred miles or so in the summer, but in 2016 I used her for 2 months as a daily driver (when my normal car expired) doing around 2000 miles without any problems.

Then in September 2016, after being sitting for a month, there was a huge backfire on start up, splitting the air box... On closer inspection, the air box was already cracked and had been repaired in the past, so I bought a new airbox and pop-off valve.

I had also been having trouble with 1st and 2nd gears, especially on the downshifts, so it seemed like a good idea to take her off the road for a rebuild.
Nearly 18 months later, I've managed to make a start on the rebuild and dropped the engine and box out last month using my 4 post lift.

My lift has 34" between the rails which seemed like it should be enough from reading other threads. I started by removing the exhaust silencers, having to cut through the bolts as they were rusted solid. I also had to remove the engine tin to make the engine fit between the rails.

The heat exchangers need some work as well

Next I borrowed a pallet truck and built up a platform with some pallets and other blocks of wood. With the help of a friend, the engine and box was supported and the car raised up out of the way. I made one mistake, despite both of us watching on all sides, the throttle linkage from the box to the engine caught on the driveshaft and the pin snapped off the side of the box, luckily not damaging the casing!

My car was built in April 1977 and it's the original gearbox (915/61) - I bought a Porsche COA and the numbers match. How do I know if it's a mag case or an aluminium one? It has CROMODORA cast near to the part no.

Next job will be to strip the gearbox - I've printed off the Peter Z tutorial already

Gavin
Old 03-08-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Do the tunnel lines while the trans and engine are out.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
What a lovely 911. They're all great but yours is extra special.

I was born in Westbury-on-Trym, went to Cotham Grammar School, then lived in Clifton. Brissle is a great little city....all those hills and therfore great views... The Suspension Bridge..... Cabot's Tower.... Bristol Cathedral... Georgian architecture... And so much more... Any Americans visiting the U.K. should put it on their list!

Sorry for the tourist marketing. Back to your C3....John in CT
Old 03-08-2018, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: