Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroggers View Post
Interesting. I spoke to Johan von Berens this morning and he said "Car has to look like a Porsche. And that as an example, my modified Boxster is ok".
Well, that's petty good news!

924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by safe View Post
Well, that's petty good news!
Yes it is
Old 10-12-2013, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Had some more time in the garage, and now have the bent arm removed from the car and the replacement arm has been reconditioned and is looking like new...

Here is the replacement arm ready. I hope to be able to install it early next week, just need to deal with the bearings etc first.

Here is some pictures to show how the old arm is bent and compared to the new one.

Wonder if there is any value in the old bent arm, is it possible to bend them back?

Just a reminder - this car is for sale
Old 10-12-2013, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Car has now been advertised on Race cars Direct - racecarsdirect.com (Race Cars For Sale) » Porsche 912 based 911 RSR replica
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Time for another update on this project than...

The replacement arm has now had the bearings installed and the bushing and is close to ready. I am missing some small parts that I hope to have arrive in the post soon, and then the new arm will be installed. Then the car will be put back on the ground for a first road test before I start on the body work and some other small things. Will be great to get the car back on the ground and give it a good drive up the road

Not sure how far I will go on working on this car, but as long as it is in my garage I will keep fixing and improving on things
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
The pins from Wevo arrived today to be able to install the arm back into the car with the engine and transmission still installed. Will install the replacement arm in with these and keep the other one to give to the next owner for the future.

My good friend Heikki who owns and runs LTStudio, a great paint and body shop here in Finland who looks after my Boxster racing car when it comes to body repair and paint came round to look at the 911. We decided that he will take the car as soon as it is back on the ground and fix the body work for me - if the car has not been sold before that...

So, once I have the replacement arm on and the mechanical stuff is confirmed to be good, the car will be relocated up to LTStudio to have the body damage sorted out
Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Kroggers,
What type of rear calipers does that car use ?
How are these mounted.
Can you please show pictures of the rear brake assembly ?
And the rear calipers and it´s adaptor.
Thanks.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donporfi View Post
Kroggers,
How are these mounted.
Thanks.
The car has Boxster calipers front and rear. I will take some pictures for you the next time I am in the garage...
Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donporfi View Post
Kroggers,
How are these mounted.
Thanks.
So, not sure what you are looking for, but here are two pictures of the adapter mounted to the old bent arm before I move it over to the new one.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Thanks for the picture.
I just wanted to know how the larger calipers were installed.
If you have a chance to take a picture of the assembled arm with caliper and disk please post it.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
As this car is for sale and I have not yet received the last parts I need to put the replacement arm back in, I thought I would post some more general pictures of the car like the interior...

Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
I have had some interest in the car, and a lot of questions. Figured I would put some more details here as well.

The car was converted to RSR look quite some time back when it was built as a road car for the then owner of Bella Boats here in Finland. At the time Bella were one of the main sponsors for Matti Alamäki, one of the leading rallycross drivers in Finland. This car was built as a copy of the car that Matti drove at the time. The front fenders, front bumper and rear bumper are fibreglass. The rear fender extensions and side skirts are steel. The car was converted into a racing car several years later after it was sold by Bella Boats.

I would describe the car as in used racing car condition and not show car condition - there is some rust in places, but structurally the car looks to be sound. If you are looking to convert it back to original 1966 912 speck and look, then I would recommend that the car is striped and acid dipped. If you plan to use it as a racing car, then I think some general attention to some details will be nice - but the car does run and can be used to race as is (so it is race ready).

Here are some pictures from under the car, which many have requested.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Another step closer to having the arm replaced. The bearing seals have arrived in the post, so now I can put the last bits onto the replacement arm and get it installed into the car.

With some luck I should have the car back on the ground and ready for a quick spin round the block by the end of the week - need to solve the problem of the missing key first maybe!

And then the car will go off to my buddy Heikki to start getting the body work repaired.

This is maybe a good time to remind that the car is for sale, and at the moment for €15000 ono (with the replacement arm installed). Once the car is delivered to Heikki to have the bodywork sorted out, then the price will go up to reflect the additional cost...
Old 10-29-2013, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Happy moment

The car is now back on all 4 wheels with the new arm installed. All that remains before the car goes to the body shop is to bleed the brakes and get the car started with the ignition switch removed...

The alignment on the wheel is a bit out, but that I can sort out after the body work has been done and as a last thing
Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
I do not have any new pictures, but I do have an update

Last night I made up a temporary ignition switch and started the car whilst it was still up on the lift. I wanted to confirm that the transmission was good, and it is Put the car in gear and she spun the wheels with no strange feeling or noise...

Spoke to Heikki today and the car will go to his shop on Monday morning.

Last edited by Kroggers; 11-01-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Old 11-01-2013, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Have you tried a locksmith? I had the same problem once before and I have a friend that is a talented locksmith. He polished a blank key and then turned it in the ignition switch over and over. Somehow he could figure out what to file to make a new key by hand. Worked out great for me.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgyglfr View Post
Have you tried a locksmith? I had the same problem once before and I have a friend that is a talented locksmith. He polished a blank key and then turned it in the ignition switch over and over. Somehow he could figure out what to file to make a new key by hand. Worked out great for me.
I removed the complete unit and handed it over to Toni. Told him that the car should come with a key and he has to sort it out - he is taking it to a locksmith to get a new key cut (or more to the point, I hope he is!!!)

For now, the switch I have put there will do...
Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
OK, a small update again

Good news, the missing key has been found and I should be getting it by the end of this week...

The car has now been delivered to Heikki at LT-Studio, and they have started to fix the damage to the left rear. As such, I need to put the price up to cover this work. The car is now for sale at €18000 o.n.o.

I will update with pictures when I get the from Heikki on the body work progress...
Old 11-04-2013, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Time for a little update....

First good news, the missing key has been found

Second good news, Heikki and his team over at LT-Studio (LT-Studio) have now fixed the crash damage to the rear fender and the small crack in the front fender - the car is looking as good as it did before the crash...

So, in theory, the car is now in the same state as it was before the accident. And nothing more for me to do but find the car a new home...
Old 11-21-2013, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Pulled the car out from the garage today and gave it a good clean to get some new pictures to put on the For Sale adverts. Looks nice and clean and ready for a new home...

Old 12-30-2013, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: