Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Upgrade one engine '68 2.0 .......

Hello friends.

For my conversión to 911R, now this post is for working on the engine and have your ideas and tricks, steps and url's for have here diferents sellers with the parts are need for make this upgrade...........

Firts I search for the upgrade To 12 sparks and I think is good to the engine more high compresion and I dont know the parts need buy, for make the upgrade with one friend is mechanic good and repair anothers but he always mount, parts Oem and for the model, he never mount any 2.3 or 2.5, and because he not have any Porsche he not know whats the good upgrades.............

But because I make in his cars a lot of body works painting and repair now he would make the mechanic part on my conversion to 911 R..........

And I would make one car with engine racing and worked but without need spend as little as possible.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The engine is this and I would and I promise that with your help, here input all pics of this upgrade and the steps.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That does not appear to be a '68 engine; rather, it might be a '65/early '66 with center-oiler Solex camshafts. If it is, that engine is a treasure! My comment is based on the shape of the cam oil line, which appears to attach at the chain housing cover, rather than the camshaft housing as in later engines. Sorry, I'm fuzzy about the details (year/month when cam oiling design changed, etc.), and can't look for pictures now, but the "aeroquip" style cam line/hose is correct.

Plan on big bucks to duplicate an "R" engine; cams, rockers and connecting rods were all different.

Please post the engine number!

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 11-11-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes yes yes, Sr. Peter !! You are on the best way, the engine is one from 65, sorry for my mistake !!!

The car is from 68 and have one engine '65 i think .........

The engine number is nº 900418

But I have this now and would make one a littlel bit more power and look

What can make ???
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here are more pics of the engine :

Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
I would definitely not touch this engine as it maybe worth much more to someone with actual '65 car where it came from. Sell it and use the funds to build a hot 2.4 or 2.7 and you will have money left even maybe.
'90 944 S2 Cabriolet
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
i would not touch or mod this engine .Date of built 25 jan 65 that very early engine .Worth probably more than a nice 3.2.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Do you have weber carb of the solex type .
Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

As others have said, please preserve your '65 engine. If possible, contact someone at the Porsche museum, and try to learn if the engine was in a car that might have historical value, or if they might need it to complete an in-house restoration. Yes, by number, the engine is an early '65 (probably Jan - March) production unit and it was fitted with Solex carbs (the block off plate on the left chain box cover is where the twin mechanical fuel pumps were mounted).
Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Uuuuuffffff this is a littlel or big problem ???

I know of this engine only ten years ago, and when is buyed for me now can not grade ????

Is a not more long story, this engine know one fríend have 10-11 years ago is his garaje and when buy his 911 2.2 of 71, this engine entry with the buyment of the car have too his old owner.............

Entry without carburetors and when my friend of 2.2 stop his engine for one reconstruction mount this two years and work very good, a littlel bit less power, not more less but because he mount on his 2.2 a lot of new parts, when have finished return mount his 2.2 and now have five years stopped !!!

I make the buyment because I buy one SWB for make the transformation to 911 R, read a lot of the aluminium engines and because this is the only one I know, I buy this, the last I look is the year.

Now after I have before starting, I discovered the fan of alternator is not Oem because the size is 245mm and the Oem in 2.0 is 225 ........ Is possible ???

The littlel or big problem is the work of the body of the car is very advanced and would make one car more, more racing with the conversión to 911 R !!! And would make rallys of regularity because in my country are a lot of

Look !!! Presentación IX Rally Clásico Isla Mallorca - YouTube

Anybody would buy this engine and I buy another 2.2 or 2.4 and can give more power to my car............... Granted it was a little regret having bought one so small............
In my narrowbody maked one conversión to Pre-73, is one 75 !! have one engine 3.0 and have with K-Jetronik but all in Oem without modifications, and in my 914-6 gt conversion mount one 2.4 S Oem without upgrades (only the headers).

Last edited by jm993rs; 11-12-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Old 11-12-2013, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

And this is my 3.0 !!

Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I think it is no problem. For a 911R project this engine will be quite nice and give it the correct "character" that is missing from big engines. How much you build it up depends on how much you have to spend.

At the wild end: 906 P/C's, ported heads and big valves. Twin plug ignition. 906 cams. exhaust. 46 webers. Well then you have essentially a 911R motor for your 911R project!

Or dial it down just a bit with S pistons and valves, 40 webers with big venturies and jets. An open exhaust. Twin plugs if you can get away with it. Quite a few of these motors, very slightly massaged from stock, won major races back in the day.

Or you could just leave it alone. A well built 2.0 normal motor is good fun. More than enough oomph to get you into trouble on vintage rallies, especially in a very light car. And it is really bulletproof. It will just run and run and run and never wear out. Race it all weekend and drive it home afterwards.

There is something really wonderful about the way these early 2.0 motors rev and sound, and feel. It will be very rewarding and appropriate for a SWB lightweight car.

DG
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I think exactly the same Sr. Dave .....

I'm in the conversion of one 912 to one 911 R, but I not search máximum power and súper race car, I search a littlel bit more power +- 160/180, and not search exactly one number of cv.

I would make one car with some anger and style, and when finish the race, drive highway to my house........... ( in my country are 20 races for classics cars for year )

My question in the start of this post is whats is possible upgrades for give to this engine a littlel bit more power and some anger.............

I think is better only change the pistons for one kit of high compresion, but which ones?

And mount one JB distribuitor to 12 sparks , but is good this JB distribuitor ?? Any one have ??

Can mount this distribuitor with 2 Oem bosch with 3 pins ???

I have prepared one pair of goods webers 40 from one 2.7 from one friend of other country working very very good but now he mount MFI injection..........

And I have the headers and muffler of the pics.............

Have one 72 oil tank, and more more parts goods for make the conversion to 911R and my tarjet is :

Last edited by jm993rs; 01-26-2014 at 12:42 AM..
Old 11-13-2013, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Please give me ideas and sellers direccions for buy and after make my engine.

Or anybody would buy and I buy another two more 2.2 or 2.4 !!!! Jejejeje

Have one 72 oil tank, and more more parts goods for make the conversion to 911R and my tarjeta is :

Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Please friends !!

Where is possible buy one kit of pistóns for high compresion 2.0 ??

And we need make more ?? When mount this pistons .........

My work is body painting cars and I make all works of my cars but for engine need your ideas, and tips,mamd tricks, and steps.........

Thank you guys......
Old 11-15-2013, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Here you go. 906 at the top, and down the page is a 2.0 "S"

ELEVENPARTS - PORSCHE CARS - mahle

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project. I like that exhaust you have!

DG
Old 11-15-2013, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hello !!

Because I have the car very near of the finish with all body and painting work I return to the last step and is working with the engine.........

Now have the engine 2.0 of the 65 !!

And would give a littlel more anger and power to this but my think is.......

Make the conversion to 12 sparks plugs
Have one pair of webers 40 in very good conditciones and works
One pair of tree of valves from engine 2.0 E
The complet exhaust abd muffler of the pics.

Please any input here URL's of other similars conversions ???

Whats do you think Of this please ??

Thank you
Old 11-24-2014, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The car is this !!! Now searching the last step for prepair the engine ......

Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hello Jose
This is Andrew from the early 911s forum. I had a tip off that you are posting over here and I see your car is coming along very nicely but I am still waiting for my refund. Can you please pay me my refund you owe like you promised. I am still waiting....
Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: