Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil pressure sending unit help

hey guys,

my druck press gauge reading is stuck at 0-0.5 and I'm out of ideas, I suck at electrical troubleshooting, please help.

engine running at idle, wire on sensor gauge shows = 0
engine running at idle, wire not on sensor gauge shows = 5
engine running at idle, wire grounded on the engine gauge shows = 0

tested sender unit itself by placing red lead to the sender's prong and black lead to ground, started car and measured resistance in Ohms. I was told if I got fluctuating readings with changes in rpm, sender is good. if sender is bad it should read infinity. I got fluctuating readings, so I assume my sender is good.

battery reads 12.5v, so I assume my alternator is still good.

I thought maybe the female connector was too loose, so I ran a separate wire connecting the female connection to the sender's prong, started the car and still got a reading of 0.

suggestions anyone?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Information Junky

If you take the green/red (iirc) wire off of the Oil Pressure Sensor (just right of the engine fan, 7mm nut) your dash-gauge should peg up to the top. That is, the gauge reads resistance to ground. -if that wire goes directly to ground, the gauge should read zero(ish) and if not connected it should read max.

ps, there's this Oil temp & pressure gauge / sender operation
Old 06-02-2014, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
The senders have a habit of breaking/ corroding at the threaded brass portion where the nut goes on to secure the terminal stud.
Try using a little bit of solder and a soldering gun on the end of the threaded brass (get it good and hot) and see if it works again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

if the gauge reads 0 with the wire connected and 5 with it removed, the sender is bad, just buy a new one.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 06-03-2014, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
druck , gauge , oil , pressure