Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Do MSD boxes give inaccurate initial timing readings?

I was wondering about something. Since an MSD ignition provides spark for 20 degrees of rotation at low RPMs. Would that mean that you are registering on your timing light, for a longer period of time.

So let's say your timing is set at 0. The initial spark is hitting at 0 and the light goes on. But the light stays on for 20 degrees, and therefore doesn't go off right away.
So when you are looking at your light, it is turning off later than it would at a single spark.

I think the distributor rotates twice per crankshaft revolution, so wouldn't the reading at idle, be off by 10 degrees.
It's still firing at 0, but reading until 10.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Don't really know but you time an MSD the same way you time the stock setup. I'm going to guess that 20 of rotation on your flywheel will last about 0.00001 seconds if it does stay on.
73 Targa (gone but not forgotten)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipso View Post
I think the distributor rotates twice per crankshaft revolution
Other way around.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

The light doesn't "stay on". It fires on the first spark and that is what you see on the timing light. The extra sparks May or may not show up with the light, but you will still see the primary spark lighting up the pulley.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: