Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Zack

Garage
Porsche Crest prirotizing HP gain methods based on cost

Prioritizing hp-gain methods based on cost

I have read several nice threads regarding gaining horse power for your Porsche 911. I have a Wide-body Porsche 911 with 3.2. Considering the relatively low power of the 3.2 engine compared with today's engine, I am frankly sick & tired of being taken over with most cars (including Mazda 3s!). I have been wanting to sink a turbo engine in the car, and get it over with - however, I have estimated the cost running over $15K (in Canada; and 12K in the US).

So, if you were ranking the best way to gain power (I am not talking meager 15-25 hp), how would you rank your suggestion, its hp gain and the associated approximate cost. I believe the information gathered in this thread would be encompassing and valuable to many in the future.

So, here is the result of my search
To change engine to a turbo.
1. Engine cost: Approx 10K (LA dismantler ), which includes the harness
2. Installation cost (approx $1500) - if DIY, you get no warranty from the vendor selling the engine.

Thank you for your time and interest.
The car-nut
1959 Triumph TR3
2004 Harley Davidson Deuce

Last edited by car-nut; 10-20-2014 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Sell your car and buy a Mazda 3. Probably make money from the deal. So that would be #1.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
I'm sick and tired of being overtaken when I go out on a jog. I want to run like Usain Bolt, but unfortunately I was manufactured in 64 and I'm too fat for my own good.

What you want is expensive, and would take away from what the car is. Personally I'm enjoying my 3.2 with about 240ish at the crank and about 300 lbs removed from it, more power IMO would change the essence of the what the car is.

Stay on the twisties if you don't want to be overtaken, our cars are more than capable there.

Good luck if you should taken on the endeavor though, it's nice that there's such a broad spectrum of directions people take on this site.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK911 View Post
Sell your car and buy a Mazda 3. Probably make money from the deal. So that would be #1.
This.

I could probably sell my 88 911 and get 30K, which can get me a nice used C63 sedan (ok plus maybe 5K). I get 2 more doors and larger rear end, twice the HP... but then it's not a classic 911.

If I spend 5K to improve the 3.2, I will not get double HP. I can get maybe 20 more. That's it.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The truth is, no matter what you do, there will always be a faster car.

With that said, it's all about power to weight with these cars. Set an achieveable goal, like 10 lbs per 1 hp. The will get you a low 5 sec 0-60 car. that is if you can get it to shift fast enough! So shedding weight is the cheapest means of adding performance.

As far as adding HP, do a top end and add displacement (3.4 L) and cams. Then an exhaust with a map tune to make it all work together. That would give you some noticeable gains.

Or, swap in a 3.6.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Very funny quote! I was made in 1963, and am also too out of shape to run fast.

To the OP: there are no winners when you enter the "arms race". There will always be faster cars out there.

Just enjoy the nice Porsche you already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren-TAG View Post
I'm sick and tired of being overtaken when I go out on a jog. I want to run like Usain Bolt, but unfortunately I was manufactured in 64 and I'm too fat for my own good.
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1965 Suzuki k15 Hillbilly, 1975 Suzuki GT750
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The only sure cure is an LS3 V8 transplant. An unbearable choice for many. Or just buy a Corvette Z06.

Porsche does what it does very well and a keenly driven 3.2L on a race track is a formidable weapon. Drag racing on the street plays to the greatest weakness of a 3.2 Carrera (straight line acceleration) and nearly always sets up an embarrassing loss to far lesser cars. A fools errand me thinks. Always more rewarding to play to a cars inherent strengths.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/chevrolet_corvette_z06-vs-porsche_911_32_cs_club_sport.html

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 10-20-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Have you considered close-ratio gears?

You'd need to spend $16-25K on the engine to match the improvements made by the correct gearstack for your car.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Zack

Garage
Surprised to see that SOME people:
(a) Do not (or CANNOT?!) read the post
(b) become too cute!

I make it simple: PLEASE READ AND ANSWER ONLY TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:

1. What have you done to boost your 3.2 hp?
2. What was the cost and what was the hp gained?

If I wanted to seek your advice on what else to drive, I would have asked so. My daily driver (2008 Cayman S) offers the hp I need; however, that was not my question!

Thank to those who can hopefully read ENGLISH!
1959 Triumph TR3
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm pre-356, have low compression, high leak-down and require high test zinfandel to run without wheezing and popping. In addition my suspension is shot as is my exterior as well as my interior.

But.... I'm still getting from here to there - kinda sorta.
PCA - 35yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
I bought a Mazda 3 and annoy the hell out of stuck up sourpusses out on the track.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
A Mazda 3 does the 1/4 mi in 15.6s and 0-60 in 7.2s. Well set up 3.2s can do that in under ~14s and 5s. I've seen lots of 3.2 that only make 150 hp because of silly things like not achieving full throttle or being way out of tune - have you considered yours might be of those?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
1. Join the local PCA, attend some autocrosses, get as many rides as you can to gauge what kind of horsepower you think would be to your liking.

2. Buy Wayne's "How to rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines" and Bruce Anderson's "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook"
I believe all the practical upgrades are covered in those books. The cost of each upgrade is easy to calculate.

Now, if you want to start swapping motors, it is a different ball game. Most doable swaps have been covered here in Pelican.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 10-20-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I recommend buying a backup engine to put in once you blow the original up so you can pass your car to on the next caretaker.

I hear a couple of SR20s pull a premium before Race Wars, so check the calendar before you order just in case 3.2L prices have an associated jump.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren-TAG View Post
Personally I'm enjoying my 3.2 with about 240ish at the crank and about 300 lbs removed from it, more power IMO would change the essence of the what the car is.
Very, very true. Total weight matters, but power to weight ratio can't be disregarded either. Losing 1 lb/HP (roughly what 300 lbs @ 240HP represents for a 3.2) is very significant.

The '77 weighed in @ 2490 with Fuchs, a 930/60 & 915 but without carpet, spare, fuel or tools. It was a monster with 330 HP, but it ended up with 425 (and some extra weight).

I've never driven a 911 with over 10 lbs/HP - but the difference between 330HP and 425HP in the same car is really quite marked...
Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-nut View Post
Surprised to see that SOME people:
(a) Do not (or CANNOT?!) read the post
(b) become too cute!

I make it simple: PLEASE READ AND ANSWER ONLY TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:

1. What have you done to boost your 3.2 hp?
2. What was the cost and what was the hp gained?

If I wanted to seek your advice on what else to drive, I would have asked so. My daily driver (2008 Cayman S) offers the hp I need; however, that was not my question!

Thank to those who can hopefully read ENGLISH!

Ask a lame question, get lame answers. You already looked into a 930 transplant and your caveat "(I am not talking meager 15-25 hp)" eliminated every other reasonable option. Getting much beyond 80hp/L with N/A air cooled heads is the stuff of fairies and unicorns.

As stated above, this is definitely what you need:
LS3 Crate Engine - Race Engine | Chevrolet
I have not done this myself but several have. Expect about $20k all in.
Anything else other than weight reduction is just re-arranging deck chairs.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 10-20-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Zack

Garage
Still people cannot READ!

What part of my question is "lame"? For God's sake, if you cannot answer a simple question, please do NOT!

I was hoping someone suggest what this buddy did for instance. He turbo-charged his engine for much lesser cost than transplanting a 930 (which I just found it on the Rennlist)!

"In my build I spent $2150 all set and done and made 315 WHP at 7psi. The car runs great and sounds great. It's a good feeling DESTROYING an STI in the straights. More people should do this. Good luck all!!!!"
1959 Triumph TR3
Old 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-nut View Post
Still people cannot READ!

What part of my question is "lame"? For God's sake, if you cannot answer a simple question, please do NOT!

I was hoping someone suggest what this buddy did for instance. He turbo-charged his engine for much lesser cost than transplanting a 930 (which I just found it on the Rennlist)!

"In my build I spent $2150 all set and done and made 315 WHP at 7psi. The car runs great and sounds great. It's a good feeling DESTROYING an STI in the straights. More people should do this. Good luck all!!!!"
Yes, that is exactly what you should do to your car. Enjoy!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
Thank you for clarifying! As it turns out, I do have a local PCA guy that turbocharged his 3.2 engine and is living large getting well over 320 HP for well south 6k with a lot of DIY of course.

But now I'm not going to tell you.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I chatted with this poster just a couple months ago via email. His factory turbo look 3,2 w/bolt on turbo is still going strong.

Sorry I don't have any smart arse comments for the peanut gallery.

Turboed my Carrera 3.2, youtubes and pics - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Old 10-20-2014, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: