Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bilstein or Boge on a Cab

I have an 86 Cab with Boge front struts, its time to update the suspension.

I use my car mainly for street with the odd sprint and motorkhana thrown in. The local wrench, who is very well respected in Sydney suggested to stick with the Boge's for a cab.

He suggested they are a little softer and will not over stiffen the ride or chassis.

What shocks are most Cab drivers running?

Cayenne Turbo - Cargraphic Stage 2 Power kit, lowering module
997 C4 Cabriolet - Basalt Black
86 Turbo Body 911 Cab - Many Mods

Gone and Missed:
97 993TT: PSS9, CarGraphic Exhaust
Old 12-19-2002, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vesnyder Send a message via Yahoo to vesnyder
I just upgraded my Cab with Bilstein HD's, and no issue with them being too firm. I debated over the HD vs Sport. I am upgrading the torsion bars to given me a little more road feel.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

Reading your postings, just wanted to tell you that I recently renewed my shocks of my 911Cab since I found them a little soft and suspected that they were worn. Well I stayed with the boges, and have to say that the cornering improved how ever the soft (at least feeling wise) ride remained. My former car was a 911S 2.7 with Billstein sports all around! Well this was definately a firm (teeth ratling) ride, but in all honesty I prefer it above the current cab/boge ride.

Now one of you was mentioning something with regard to torsion bars and replacing them in order to get more road feel, can somebody please explain how this works? Is it worthwhile updating to larger diameter torsion bars?

thanks for the response!

Joris
Old 12-19-2002, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My 1987 Cab just got Bilsteins HD & Sport from our host.

Happy
Old 12-19-2002, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dtfastbear Send a message via Yahoo to dtfastbear
David,

I've also got an '86 cab and upgraded from the clapped out old stock Boges to Bilstein sports all around. While they are perfect for me, as I do a lot of autocross and track work, I believe they would be too stiff for what you describe as your normal use.

I'd suggest the Bilstein HD. They will transform your car without making it too stiff. I've used Bilsteins in everything from my old GTI to my 911 to several 4Runner's I've had over the years. They are the best shocks made, IMO.

Good luck,

Dean
Old 12-19-2002, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My '87 has original shocks. Never been replaced. It's works fine.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Bilstein Sports hands down. I don't think it is bone jarring at all. The Boges are way too soft, like a Caddy.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vesnyder Send a message via Yahoo to vesnyder
Caliber - You may want to check thos struts? I thought my car was riding good. Had an '83 with original struts. Took the front ones out and they came out in pieces - totally shot. I compressed the strut and it stayed compressed. You will be amazed the diffrence a new set of struts will make!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

anyone using a front shock tower brace on their cab? Is this effective/ok?

Regards,
Mark
Old 12-19-2002, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Axeman
Bilsteins!

1972 Targa (3.0L)
1999 Boxster (Wife's car)
Old 12-19-2002, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dtfastbear Send a message via Yahoo to dtfastbear
Mark,

Putting a strut tower brace on my 86 cab made a big difference in turn-in. I used the Weltmeister (ordered from Pelican, of course). I highly recommend it. Relatively cheap, easy to install and highly effective.

Dean
Old 12-19-2002, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Dean,
Did you have to have an alignment done afterwards?

Mark
Old 12-19-2002, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wanna trade? I have Bilsteins on my SC, am looking to soften the ride a bit and would be willing to trade down if interested.

Regards,

Joe
Old 12-19-2002, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks - great to see a wide range of responses.

One thing I did not mention is that I have 18" wheels on the car with low profile tyres, this adds to the firmness of the ride.

I gather that the Boges will make some improvement to the handling, even if they are softer?

They have suggested that the Boges are adjustable - how adjustable are they and how is this process enabled on the fronts and rears.

I also have a strut brace, which is often used by the suspension guys in the fine tuning of the frontend.

Cayenne Turbo - Cargraphic Stage 2 Power kit, lowering module
997 C4 Cabriolet - Basalt Black
86 Turbo Body 911 Cab - Many Mods

Gone and Missed:
97 993TT: PSS9, CarGraphic Exhaust
Old 12-19-2002, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Yep, got a tower brace too. JM brand, bought here at Pelican. Maybe a bit better at turn in but that's pretty unqualified from me. Next year I'll be racing so I'm going to do some swapping in and out to see if there's any differences.

You may also want to get
Turbo Tie rods - big difference over stock. Best upgrade I've done. Also from Pelican.

Rack spacers to use when you lower the car with the new steering geometry your gonna dial in with all the new goodies. Spacers available from Pelican.

Oh and while your mucking around in that area
Lug nuts and a soft socket will make the car handle better and go faster too. Trust Me! They too are also available from............you guessed it....Pelican.

Cheers mate

Mark
Old 12-20-2002, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Caliper,

I cannot imagine how 15 year old shocks could still be good.
I recently replaced the original shocks and inserts on my '87 Targa with Bilstein sports/HD. The original Boge's could easily be compressed with one hand. Not to mention that the factory used oil damped inserts while the superior Bilsteins are gas filled.

As everyone has probably heard before - beware! Gas shocks / inserts likely will raise your ride height almost an inch. Replacing shocks normally turns into lowering, aligning, corner balance, turbo tie rods ( my original tie rods were very worn - I'll bet yours are too ) , bump steer correction bushings, and lots of smiles
Old 12-20-2002, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

GOT AN 85 CAB. PUT BILSTEIN SPORTS ALL AROUND & LOWERED FRONT END
FEELS LIKE A 911 NOW.
DO IT YOU WON'S REGRET IT!
Old 12-20-2002, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
What about Koni's? Anybody try them?
Old 12-20-2002, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Currently running Boge's. Not sure that it is a soft ride--as my prior 83 had Bilsteins. Honestly, cannot tell much of a difference, but I am not a racer. Except of course, for the occasional idiot ricer that pisses me off.

Those 18" rims with low profiles I am sure will stiffen the ride, so perhaps the Boge's might equal it all out.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: