Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 87 Targa starts cold but takes 3, 4 sec cranks to start when hot

My 1987 Targa 3.2 starts instantly when cold but takes up to 3 - 4 second cranks to start when hot.
It has never failed to start when hot just takes up 3 crank attempts to start; sometimes 4. I saw the same issue here but failed to find the thread again to review for a solution. Once it starts, it runs as normal as always. I just hate cranking it for an extended period of time. During the winter, it cranks and starts right away, the summer or warmer days is another story.

What I mean by hot is after it has run for a while. It can be 100 degrees (ambient temperature) here and still start quickly the first time after sitting all night long.

Any help, suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Democreature; 06-27-2016 at 03:36 PM..
Old 06-15-2016, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had a similar but flipped issue, difficult starting when outside temps dropped.
Mine was ICV related, but, I wonder if yours might be related to O2 sensor or CHT.
Others may chime in.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 06-15-2016, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Have a similar issue too, waiting for others to chime in.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Crank attempts? Do you just crank for 3 seconds and stop/repeat? What happens when you keep cranking until it starts, like most people do?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
Crank attempts? Do you just crank for 3 seconds and stop/repeat? What happens when you keep cranking until it starts, like most people do?
Correct, I crank for 3 seconds and repeat the process until it start which it always does. I don't do a continuous crank, that process seems to take much longer to start.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
It could be your starter, after a run it will get heat soaked and take longer to start.

As JW stated, keep it cranked until it starts, for extra measure push in the clutch pedal so start doesn't have to work so hard.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
It could be your starter, after a run it will get heat soaked and take longer to start.

As JW stated, keep it cranked until it starts, for extra measure push in the clutch pedal so start doesn't have to work so hard.
The starter cranks over like a champ. I was thinking timing or poor spark performance. Maybe a new distributor, not sure that's why I ask for input.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democreature View Post
My 1987 Targa 3.2 starts instantly when cold but takes up to 3 - 4 second cranks to start when hot.
It has never failed to start when hot just takes up 3 crank attempts to start; sometimes 4. I saw the same issue here but failed to find the thread again to review for a solution. Once it starts, it runs as normal as always. I just hate cranking it for an extended period of time. During the winter, it cranks and starts right away, the summer or warmer days is another story.
Your post is confusing.

Quote:
What I mean by hot is after it has run for a while. It can be 100 degrees here and still start quickly the first time.

Any help, suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Does it still start when hot even during the colder months ?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Your post is confusing.

Does it still start when hot even during the colder months ?
During the colder months, it starts normally or within the first crank. When I drive for and hour (during the cold months) and it sits for half an hour or less, it starts as normal. It's only when it's been driven during the hotter months that the issue arises.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Do you have an Ohm meter? You could check the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

had a similar issue when my DME relay was failing, it would turn over quite quickly but would initially not show any "interest" in starting, but then would fire right up.

Replacing the DME relay solved my issue (its cold soldier joints eventually passed current) -- identified issue by tapping the DME relay while cranking - tapping would trigger a start. Have you tried replacing your DME relay yet?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
had a similar issue when my DME relay was failing, it would turn over quite quickly but would initially not show any "interest" in starting, but then would fire right up.

Replacing the DME relay solved my issue (its cold soldier joints eventually passed current) -- identified issue by tapping the DME relay while cranking - tapping would trigger a start. Have you tried replacing your DME relay yet?
I have, that was the first thing I though it was. New, Old do the same thing.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I was leading toward cam/crank sensors. I'll check the CHT sensor and report back.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Over rich condition does that. Leaking injectors? Bad fuel pressure regulator, bad idle control valve?
You need more solid data before buying parts. Does it smell of fuel from the exhaust when it starts? Does the ICV click when you turn tbe ignition on?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest3416 View Post
Over rich condition does that. Leaking injectors? Bad fuel pressure regulator, bad idle control valve?
You need more solid data before buying parts. Does it smell of fuel from the exhaust when it starts? Does the ICV click when you turn tbe ignition on?
I does not smell like fuel, had the pump replaced within the last few months. Pressure was within specs according to the shop. ICV clicks, bad idle valve never checked.

If the cars sits for hours in the hottest of days, it will start right up but if I run it for ten minutes then stop it, that's when the delay in starting happens.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Immature Member

Garage
Sounds like vapour lock. If fuel pressure is not maintained when shut down the heat from the engine can cause fuel to vaporize in the lines and cause difficult restarting. Check valve at fuel pump may be failing or perhaps a fuel injector is not closing fully. Testing for residual fuel pressure after shut down would be a good place to start.
"Lowering the bar with every post!"
Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentist90 View Post
Sounds like vapour lock. If fuel pressure is not maintained when shut down the heat from the engine can cause fuel to vaporize in the lines and cause difficult restarting. Check valve at fuel pump may be failing or perhaps a fuel injector is not closing fully. Testing for residual fuel pressure after shut down would be a good place to start.
I had the pressure tested, the shop said it was within limits. No fuel injector failing. The search continues.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Immature Member

Garage
Pressure tested just while running, or watched after shutdown? The problem with vapour lock is not inadequate fuel pressure while cranking or running, but the gradual loss of pressure after shutdown. Maybe ask them if they checked that too..
"Lowering the bar with every post!"
Old 06-29-2016, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentist90 View Post
Pressure tested just while running, or watched after shutdown? The problem with vapour lock is not inadequate fuel pressure while cranking or running, but the gradual loss of pressure after shutdown. Maybe ask them if they checked that too..
The pressure was checked before, during and after; all within specs. They were thinking electrical, they are not a Porsche Shop.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I also was experiencing this problem with my 87 Carrera, after I changed my high pressure fuel line the starting issue was no longer a problem and my car starts with a twist of the key.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
cold , crank , hot , normal , start