Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

KW going to offer suspension parts for pre 89 cars

KW is going to start suspensions for the pre 89 cars. They seem to make good quailty stuff - priced near the top of the "tuner" market generally. Competition is good. I wonder where pricing will be and how the performance will be?

KW suspension unveils compression and rebound adjustable Variant 3 Dampers for Porsche 911 G-Series > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Comes with a new strut body so saves the cost of raising spindles maybe? not going to be cheap

Old 11-21-2016, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have Bilstein struts with coil overs and raised and de-cambered spindles, with reinforced steering arms, and I don't want to change those out. Would it be possible to have the KW coil overs in the Bilstein struts?
2000 Boxster, sold, 1995 993, sold, 2004 Maserati, sold, 2000 996, sold, 1971 914, my college car, 1966 911, sold way too cheep, Lots of VW's...
Old 11-21-2016, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would think that if you have custom valves bilsteins it would be a lateral move. To improve on bilstiens any significant amount you probably have to step up to Ohlins or Penskes or similar

Last edited by Elombard; 11-21-2016 at 04:36 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I searched around until I found a price - about $2500.00 for the V3 kit:

New KW Suspension kits for impact-bumper Porsche 911 - Ferdinand

Would be a bargain if they are as good as they claim but that remains to be seen. Encouraging to see they have a car on a test rig..... ride height looked pretty low, too.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Lets see:

re-valved Bilstiens ~$400 each I think = $1600
raising spindles ~$700

So fairly similar pricing.

I wonder how these compare to the VONs?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
I had the KW Variant 3 on my 951 and have rode in a few other cars with the same setup. I absolutely loved them in my 951. All i can say is i think they were perfect for a fun street car. For dedicated track i found they were on the soft side but the ride on the street was fantastic, it handled uneven roads and bumps with no drama. I think it was the perfect setup for a dual use car that you drive to the track. I also had ST coilovers on my E36 M3, they are the same as the KW Variant 1 (non adjustable coilovers) with steel bodies instead of stainless. More geared towards street... also a fantastic setup. With that said they definitely know what they are doing.

The only thing i wonder is how the setup will feel with no increase in spring rate with keeping the stock torsion bars. Might need to contact them to see what they say in regards to revalving them for a larger torsion bar if need be.
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1
Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Good point they dont mention if the T bar version is for the stock T bars. I suspect that it is.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Do anyone have a helper spring set up with stock or existing TB's on the car? Seems like an effective way to adjusted ride height, change spring rates quickly and possibly adjust for preload?

I seem to recall Porsche themselves did add coil overs to supplement the TBs at one time or another
Old 11-22-2016, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
If a guy already has bilstein struts that have been modified (raised 19mm, extra shear arm, bump steer kit, extra gusseting, and a collar welded on for a coilover sleeve) am I better off buying the full KW kit, or just buying the coilover conversion from elephant or rebel s racing as planned? I'm still running torsion bars, but plan on getting rid of them.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I would add the collars to your existing. If you change the spring rate significantly you may need to re-valve the inserts. That is a nice set up you have.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The beauty of the KW setup is that the valving is adjustable. So if you're one who tunes on the car throughout your day at the track, you've then got damper tuning in your toolbox of tweaks you can do. Whereas our typical Bilsteins are obviously non adjustable and they always "are what they are."

Let's also not forget the internal design of the KW damper is likely to be much more intricate and effective at damping vs. the rather basic Bilstein damper. My understanding is the Bilstein damper is pretty archaic in terms of its damping design.

Adding another name to the list, JRZ also can modify your struts to incorporate their adjustable dampers with remote reservoirs. A local friend had Olsen Motorsports convert his Boge struts to the JRZ dampers.

Notice in the JRZ picture below that the steering arm is gussetted along it's length. I've been told that testing found the steering arm flexes under heavy loading from sticky tires. I was surprised to hear that the steering arm can flex because it has a pretty beefy cross section. But what the heck do I know, because I was just going by my intution about the steering arm's resistance to bending and nothing else.

I don't know if the lower support brace, like the yellow Bilstein shows, is as effective at bracing the steering arm. It seems to me the Bilstein brace is actually there to address the increased leverage created by the long tie rod drop link/bump steer kit?

Old 11-22-2016, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Kevin, those JRZs are juicy. As expensive as they are pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elombard View Post
Lets see:

re-valved Bilstiens ~$400 each I think = $1600
I think that is high. You should be able to get re-valving done for under $300/pair.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Fastest Hunk of Junk

KW is very well respected in at least the tuning side of the German car world. I can't speak to their track-worthiness, but I for one would love a bolt-on KW coil-over kit near $3k, with raised spindles, etc. That's about what most of their kits cost for BMWs, VWs, etc.
'91 BMW M5
'10 Mini Justa (hers)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Yep they are indeed pretty. I was really impressed with the reconditioning and adapting they did with the Boge strut housing. They threaded the housing for coilover perch (this car runs torsion bars) raised the spindle, gusseted it and the steering arm ?anodized? the housing black. Really nice finished product.

Best part of the whole thing is having a guy that knows the setup of the JRZ's like the back of his hand. So we're not starting from scratch to figure out the compression and rebound settings.

Only thing we found awry was they didn't remove the grease seal collar (so now it's anodized on there) and the wheel bearings are a tight fit on the spindle. Not a big deal. Doing it over again, they should either not anodize the spindle (honestly we should have pulled off the grease collar) or we need to hone the ID of the bearings to same dimension as the measured diameter of the spindle. I think it'd just be easier to not coat the spindle at all, to avoid the hassle of honing the bearings.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
Yep they are indeed pretty. I was really impressed with the reconditioning and adapting they did with the Boge strut housing. They threaded the housing for coilover perch (this car runs torsion bars) raised the spindle, gusseted it and the steering arm ?anodized? the housing black. Really nice finished product.

Best part of the whole thing is having a guy that knows the setup of the JRZ's like the back of his hand. So we're not starting from scratch to figure out the compression and rebound settings.

Only thing we found awry was they didn't remove the grease seal collar (so now it's anodized on there) and the wheel bearings are a tight fit on the spindle. Not a big deal. Doing it over again, they should either not anodize the spindle (honestly we should have pulled off the grease collar) or we need to hone the ID of the bearings to same dimension as the measured diameter of the spindle. I think it'd just be easier to not coat the spindle at all, to avoid the hassle of honing the bearings.
Being familiar w/ the setup aspects are key. I know more than one person who bolted JRZ triple adjustables onto their track car only to spend months dialing them in.

Coating actually looks like Cerakote. Hard to tell from the pictures.

Agree w/ you on not coating the spindles. Plenty of grease on them to keep them in good condition.

How are you handling brake hard line to soft line transition?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

With new spindles at $820 each from our host, I have a feeling these are not going to be economical.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
I don't know if the lower support brace, like the yellow Bilstein shows, is as effective at bracing the steering arm. It seems to me the Bilstein brace is actually there to address the increased leverage created by the long tie rod drop link/bump steer kit?
That was my understanding when I purchased them. My intention was to get the car much lower than stock, and keep decent geometry. I'd like to go to coilover in the future, will be doing my rear strut mount braces this winter, not sure if I'll delete the torsion bars yet though. Planning on going to a 935 rear spring plate eventually.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
As im working a lot with KW i allready spoke to Jürgen Wohlfahrt from KW about a set for my build with raised spindles and extra support for the bumpsteer adjustment like i have it on my modified oem struts, i will bring them as a sample to KW to see if they can copy that on their setup which would make it the perfect package them, raised spindles and bumpsteerkit included
Will updated when i have been at KW.

Last edited by Nine-one-one; 11-22-2016 at 11:22 PM..
Old 11-22-2016, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: