Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Backdated Heat Tech Article

I've waded through dozens of backdated heat threads, but still haven't found one that explains it all for an 83SC. Lots of great info, no doubt, but I'll be using this thread to sort out my own backdate and hopefully it can evolve into something useful like the other threads. I'll be using pics from my own car, and a few from other threads (thanks Pelicans!)

So as I understand it, backdating the heat in an 83SC involves removing the blower motor and ducting. These parts:

I won't go into specific of removal unless there is something unique. Loosening hose clamps and nuts are self-explanatory.

Here's how the left side looks after removing the large ribbed duct between the blower and left heat duct:

Next up I removed the short hose from the metal Y of the blower, then removed it where it attaches to the rear engine tin, here:

Then I removed the longer hose from the right side of the blower's Y. This hose is one long piece that goes from the blower Y all the way to the heat exhanger below the engine. To remove the other end of the hose from the heat exchanger I first had to remove my A/C compressor and the bracket that mounts it to the engine. You can see the hose here, how it routes under the bracket and down through the engine tin (hidden by the engine mount chassis attachment in this pic):

Below is my engine with the following items removed:
-blower motor (metal "Y" duct came off as part of the blower)
-the large, ribbed plastic duct that goes between the metal Y of the blower and the left heat duct (the part that attaches to the fiberglass fan shroud to the left of the fan)
- the left flex hose coming off the left metal Y
- the longer, right flex hose coming of the right Y and routing directly through the right tin to the heat exchanger underneath the car.

The two highlighted parts are:
-the left heat duct (smaller part)
-the rear engine tin (the larger part)
Old 11-26-2016, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

continued from previous post...

Here's what the right side of my engine looks like after removing the long hose. The highlighted part is the block off plate that will later be replaced by an earlier part that allows a hose to be routed back under the A/C bracket, through the engine tin and down to the heat exchanger.

And here's a closeup shot of the tin piece on the right side of the engine (this is usually hidden under by the A/C bracket.)
Old 11-26-2016, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

continued...

Old 11-26-2016, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So here's my first question.

Left side of the engine. I've seen a few different ways of routing the left heat duct from the shroud to the heat exchanger. First option: keep my SC tin with the metal tube and use two pieces of hose to route to the heat exchanger. Will this routing work with SSI's?

I think that's what's going on here:

Other option is to source rear tin, and the two left pieces for a one-piece, and perhaps tidier routing of the left hose.

Here's my tin. Looks like I could cut a hole in the small piece B and keep the long piece C. Is this possible? I would still need to source an early rear tin to get rid of the metal tube, A, in mine.

Here's an example of that setup:

Old 11-26-2016, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I meant to add this pic. The tins I would need to do the more "proper" routing are lettered E F and G. Looks like F is the way to go, rather than cutting a hole in my B tin. Question is, will my C work with an F?

Old 11-26-2016, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes, your C trim will work with F
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 11-26-2016, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
Yes, your C trim will work with F
Thank you Sir!
Old 11-26-2016, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameel View Post
... Will this routing work with SSI's?

Yes it will, here is a picture of mine...

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 11-26-2016, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Yes it will, here is a picture of mine...

Great. But will SSI's work with my SC tin? The one where the metal tube is at the corner?
Old 11-26-2016, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
In post #3?

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 11-26-2016, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I just installed SSI heat exchangers on my 82 engine. I'm keeping the heater blower so I used a flexible hose from the bottom rear tin tube to the left SSI heater tube inlet. It's a tight fit.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
In post #3?
No, part A on my tin. Just wondering if that corner metal tube is too far back to mate up with SSIs.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerock View Post
I just installed SSI heat exchangers on my 82 engine. I'm keeping the heater blower so I used a flexible hose from the bottom rear tin tube to the left SSI heater tube inlet. It's a tight fit.
Aha, that's helpful. Got a pic by chance?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameel View Post
Aha, that's helpful. Got a pic by chance?
For some strange reason, lately I haven't been able to upload pics to Photobucket from my Android so I cannot share a few from yesterday.
Here is what I started with.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Don't know if there is much of a difference between an 83 and 82 tin, but here is the routing of my backdate on my 82 using the existing tin.

Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Here's my set-up. Used the existing port on the left side with a reducer, and JB Welded an elbow on the right side.

2001 996TT - Lapis Blue (Sold)
1995 993 C2 - Grand Prix White (RIP)

Last edited by SoCal911SC; 11-27-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Yes SSI will work with the stock SC tin on both ends. I used flexible orange high heat tubing on the underside. You can just see a little bit of it peeking out.

https://dergarage.com

'80 SC Weissach, '01 986S, '99 C2 Cab, '97 TJ, '01 Disco SE7, '06 KTM SM950

Last edited by CBRacerX; 11-27-2016 at 10:51 AM..
Old 11-27-2016, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
And the right

https://dergarage.com

'80 SC Weissach, '01 986S, '99 C2 Cab, '97 TJ, '01 Disco SE7, '06 KTM SM950
Old 11-27-2016, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I can see it Chris. Nice pics and thanks for adding.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

So I found another picture that shows clearly how the left hose routes through SC tin (the metal tube at the back left corner) down to SSI's.

It's also pretty clear that the short piece of tin with the hole (tin F) would allow a straighter path from the left duct.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: