Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Engine Compartment Seal?

I have been Cleaning, Fixing and Replacing issues in preparation to putting the engine back in my 81 911.

My old engine compartment seal was 30 years of hard brittleness so I removed it and discarded it months ago and ordered a new one from our host.

Today I started putting the new one in and noticed a section has the lower seal cut out.
Can anyone else verify if this is this normal?

Also when the motor goes back in does the seal go?
1 - on top of tin
2 - below tin
3 - split (both above and below tin)

My old one was only on top... I think

New seal pic,

Thanks,

MoosgrunMetallic 81 911 SC -(Carbon fiber Wrap)
Drank the Koolaid in 82
Old 12-30-2016, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
Why don't you take a look at the detailed pictures you took of everything before you disassembled it?

From what I recall, all the seals sit on top of the tin, nothing below; the idea is to create an air tight space to be able to cook the engine more efficiently. I've not done mine but it's on the list of to-do's when I rebuild my top end.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
I have always placed the tin between the two seals, a real PITA ut I gradually raise the engine as I hand fit the seals between the tin's edge
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

on my 83SC - no cuts in the seal.
One part goes above the tin, the other below the tin.

stan
Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Pretty certain tin goes between both parts.

The missing part on the bottom of mine lines up nicely with my turbo. There is so much heat there, it wouldn't last long.

Could it be there is a turbo and a non-turbo version?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Hmmm? I have a cut out section too. I thought it broke off but will need to take a closer look since engine is out too.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 12-30-2016, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Correct part

Thanks guys. (Detailed pictures, what is that?)

Looks like there is a separate late model 930 seal but this is what was ordered and received.

Fits both turbo and non turbo so I am going to leave it and run it.

FWIW - I slid the front in - (PITA)
On the rear seal I saw no way to make the corners doing this. so i put in the top lip and used a dull tool to pop the bottom half in the grove, much easier.

Still researching the engine tin to seal but I can tell from the wear marks on the my tin that the seal was only on top. I just can't see the German Engineers designing this to be split in engine install.

Drank the Koolaid in 82
Old 12-31-2016, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ok so I was wrong.

While my seal was only above the tin I would say the engine tin goes between the seals.

After installing the engine but before fighting the engine & trans mount bolts I uses a screwdriver to slide around the tin and pull out the bottom seal.

(Looks right)

No way to do this with my old crusty seal...

But the engines in and running.

And way Cooler, Thanks for the advice to everyone who chimed in.

Drank the Koolaid in 82
Old 01-01-2017, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I can confirm the rubber seals splits between the tin top and bottom and the front seal near the engine fan is a single piece

Mine was sitting on top of the tin, just had it fixed to fit in between.

I hoping that it might resolve the tinny clatter on load but can’t imagine it would as the tin sits comfortably away from the chassis

Last edited by Reuben911; 08-09-2019 at 04:45 AM..
Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm just at this point in my re-install, so this was helpful! There was no 'cut' in the seals I ordered, so maybe there are two versions.

-----------------------------------------
"A man must consider what a rich realm he abdicates when he becomes a conformist." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~ (thanks to Pat Keefe)
Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Put a cord between the seal lips and raise the engine up but not quite all the way - then pull the cord down to set the bottom lip below the tin. Then raise the engine into place- way easier than the screwdriver method

Old 08-10-2019, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: