Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
911SC Tinkerer

Radio Delete / Hidden Audio install

Hey Pelicans,

I've been through quite a few audio setups. The original non-working Blaupunkt Tucson, a Blaupunkt Madison that looked right but didnt feel right without a rotary volume knob, and a CDR-220 from a 996.1. Out of all of them the CDR-220 preformed the best but the display was always lackluster and the radio reception is meh at best. Probably shortcomings on my end, but they were present all the time.

Thinking about how I used the radio I realized that 30% of my time in the car I used my phone to listen to music, 20% was listening to radio (usually talk) and the other 50% was the sweet sound of the Flat 6. I set about with a goal of cutting the radio out of the picture without losing the ability to listen to music when I wanted it.

Enter the Kenwood KAC-M3004 amp. Small footprint that fits anywhere with outstanding audio output. This is running a pair of Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers upfront with nothing in back. One day I thought I'd unplug the CDR-220 and just plug my phone directly into the amp via a 3.5mm to 2 channel RCA cable. Sound wasn't bad, but the cable needed to be plugged in to work and because of the lack of shielding had all the digital pops associated with that sort of thing. I searched the internet for a better solution and found a 12v Bluetooth dongle with RCA outs. These could plug directly in to the amp and only required a switched 12v and a ground. I hooked everything up today and I'm happy to say it works great!

After everything was hooked up and running I put the amp in the small cubby space by the footwell warming ducting. Fits snugly and perfectly. Folded the carpet back over and reinstalled the passenger footboard plate. I replaced the now empty radio slot with a 1din pocket for storage but will be replacing it with a panel for a PLX DM-100 when I go EFI in the spring.

Pictures:

Old 01-20-2017, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have been thinking of installing this:

muse sd usb amp in Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living | eBay

I have one in my den and it is awesome.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You know, you really can't 'delete' anything from a car. You really have to 'remove' it.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Nice out of the box thinking. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sure thing. 'deleting' something is sure-fire creativity at work, ain't it?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Pretty nifty!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
911SC Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
You know, you really can't 'delete' anything from a car. You really have to 'remove' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
Sure thing. 'deleting' something is sure-fire creativity at work, ain't it?
Mick _D, did someone piss in your wheaties man? What's the deal here? I was just passing along useful information with commonly used search terms.

Thanks for your input, I guess?

-Steve
Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I've considered the same. Leave the Reno in dash for the eye candy. Source plug & play wiring harness adapter (NO CUTTING!!!). Voila. I'm waiting for a similarly sized amp with native Bluetooth functionality.

But... given my use case. I haven't pulled the trigger.

Glad it worked out as you intended.
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 01-21-2017, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I was looking at this Soundstream amp. I think someone mentioned it here before:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B9KH1S8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1BQGT9A5OMS9N&coliid=I22BONYBZQEMNN

Good luck,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 01-21-2017, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Been here a while

It seems most of the big amp manufacturers have models with Bluetooth. So that's a good fit

All 3 of my vintage cars have modern radios with amps that were installed when the head units were done.

My plan is to install period correct head units in each, wire them up and o the more modern amps and install an auto/audio sensing a/b switch on the preamp side and a simple Bluetooth dongle similar to what was posted above.

To me this is the best fix as I can still listen to the local radio in regions with no cell service and still get audio from the phone like turn by turn directions from my phone/nav.

I'll post some photos as I proceed.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
It seems most of the big amp manufacturers have models with Bluetooth. So that's a good fit

All 3 of my vintage cars have modern radios with amps that were installed when the head units were done.

My plan is to install period correct head units in each, wire them up and o the more modern amps and install an auto/audio sensing a/b switch on the preamp side and a simple Bluetooth dongle similar to what was posted above.

To me this is the best fix as I can still listen to the local radio in regions with no cell service and still get audio from the phone like turn by turn directions from my phone/nav.

I'll post some photos as I proceed.
Have you proceeded? Are there pictures? I'm contemplating a bluetooth or USB amped stealth setup...
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 10-11-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by techweenie View Post
Have you proceeded? Are there pictures? I'm contemplating a bluetooth or USB amped stealth setup...

Lol, I have proceeded, in fact I'm done. Both my '72 and '83 are fitted with period correct head-units that can play AM/FM/Cassette music thru the kenwood amp, but I seldom/never use it.

I'll take some photos this weekend. The kenwood controller fits very nicely in the ash tray....close the ash tray and the system is invisible.

Amp fits cleanly behind the wooden bulkhead at the passenger's feet, and both cars have working AC.....the little amp doesn't get hot....maybe 'warm' so no ill effects on AC performance.

sweet little package.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Looking forward to pics. I'm contemplating an install not using a head unit... just a hidden amp with visible iPhone as the sole user interface.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 10-11-2018, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I did the same thing. Amp, bluetooth with optical output, no head unit. I put the McIntosh power meters in the dash in place of the head unit.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

djsioukas -- beautiful interior -- mcIntosh meters are a fun touch. What do you feed the bluetooth optical out into? also, know if the optical output is bit perfect to the source?

Wasn't sure bluetooth could give a bit-perfect output (load my phone with lossless files and want to preserve integrity) --

Also love to hear more about the rest of your signal chain
Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I've posted my stealth solution here before for my '79 Turbo, where the appearance of originality is important:

1. Blaupunkt/Porsche CR in dash. Stock install, but speaker line-outs go to:

2. JBL GTR 104 (4x100w, with built-in bluetooth, also accepts line-in and speaker-level inputs), mounted under driver's seat, going into:

3. Hertz MPX 6.5 components in the doors (mounted with apexpaddles.com spacers), and:

4. Alpine PWE S8 compact powered subwoofer under the passenger seat.

I can play the radio or cassettes (yay!) from the head unit, but with far superior sound due to the speaker and amp upgrades AND also stream music/podcasts/radio from my phone. The only visible change from stock are the speakers in the doors.

Links:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTR104/JBL-GTR-104.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_301MPK1653/Hertz-MPK-165-3-PRO.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PWES8/Alpine-PWE-S8.html

Porsche 911 Speaker Spacers (one pair) | Apex Paddles
Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

My Stealth Systems consist of.

1. 5 channel JL Audio amp located underneath the passenger seat.
2. JL TWK System Tuning DSP
3. Blue tooth receiver. Similar to a JL Audio MBT-RX 91126

All located underneath the passenger seat.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Been here a while

kenwood install

ah, some photos. The amp is small enough I can fit it under a seat easily or behind the wooden footrest.

I like this kenwood unit, it seems to have the latest bluetooth streaming capabilities and sounds really good. There are others, I'm sure.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

^^ Nice! I mounted my remote (with velcro) to the top of the console--but that ashtray solution is killer! Did you document how you did that, Sonett?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Been here a while

No documentation.

Remove ash tray.

Enlarge hole in the ash tray front to back to match the plastic insert that Kenwood gives you. You need to trim the bottom of their plastic piece a bit.

It’s pretty obvious when you have the pieces in hand.

You need to drill a hole in the back corner of the ash tray for the wire to exit.

Believe me, if I can hack this together, it’s a project anyone on this board can handle.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: