Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

start up engine

What is the best way to start up a motor that has been sitting for over three years? Oil was drained but MFI pump left with oil. Motor was running fine when pulled, thanks

Old 01-28-2017, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Spumato
What year and engine size? That will help determine complexity of staring process.
Has the old fuel been drained?

Prior to starting, you will need to consider things like fuel varnish, old oil, essential librication of engine parts, etc.

If old gas sat in the tank, it needs to be pulled and drained. The take it to a radiator shop and have it flushed and sealed. Clean the fuel lines out. If it has CIS, send the unit out for service. Have the injectors ultrasonically cleaned. Replace the fuel lines in the engine bay with new lines, add new plugs, put fresh oil in there and turn it over by hand several times to move some oil around.

Chances are it should work, but you may encounter issues like WURs that die from not being used, etc. I know it's tough to stomach, but letting them sit is the kiss of death!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
is there any risk trying to just start it ? Plugs don't fade. If any issues I would guess it would be on the fuelling side. Drain and replace
Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Speed Dog's Chauffeur

Garage
Feel Lucky?

Gas has been crap for the past 5 years + so be careful with your MFI. Is it worth a few hundred $$$ to get the MFI pump checked out or toast a cylinder or motor. I have a 20 year storage time capsule motor on the stand and I am playing it safe. I can turn a cherry $18,000 low mileage MFI motor into a pile of spare parts very quickly.

I swear by MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) soaks to free up rings & lube the bore for out of storage motors. Do not go HYDRAULIC!! Soak, lube & push it out(no plugs). A MFI is a $15-$20K motor(E & T) so I suggest tread carefully. Best of Luck.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: