Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SSI Exhaust Questions

All:

I have a 1981 911SC with a 3.0L, and it is a USA car.

I am about to take the plunge and replace my stock exhaust with SSIs and a dual inlet muffler.

Questions:

Is this the right part number: 91.915SSI-M124?

Do I need a thick flange or thin?

Our host says you can't get SSIs with an O2 sensor hole. My car has an O2 sensor. What do I do with it? Should I just remove it? What issues might that cause? If I get a muffler shop to put a fitting for the O2 sensor in, without the catalytic converter, will it cause issues?

The SSIs appear to have the heater hose attachments at the back of the car coming out at an angle. My stock set up has a straight-out connection and a separate right angle attachment. Will I have any fitment issues?

Many thanks for your help and advice.

If there is a thread out there on point, please direct me.

Greg
Old 03-04-2017, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Greg,

I am not an expert but I believe part number: 91.915SSI-M124 is correct for your car.

The SC models 80-83 use the thick flange SSI's with the O2 bung (which allows for you to reuse your O2 sensor). I think you should put your O2 back in if you are running CIS Lambda. An O2 without a cat works fine.

All of your existing heater hoses should work fine with the new system. You will like the new exhaust when installed, better power and sound.

Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You can get a bung welded in.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

but do I really need it? Not sure the downside of going without.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Greg

I have an 82 that came with SSI, no cat, but 02 sensor.

Also has full heat, can I take some pics or something else for you?
'70 TR6
N of Boston
Old 03-04-2017, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Do you really need it? Probably not. It's hard to beat the engineering of stock, but I'm sure it's done regularly.

Do you really want it? Definitely.

The downside of going without is that you could possibly not get over it and want it until you get it, whether you need it or not, only to find out too late that you did not need it, so you better really like it.

If you can get over it, you probably save a boatload of money to be used in other ways on the car.

'69 911E
Old 03-04-2017, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Only have driven this car with SSI I can't tell you if it actually improves performance, but everyone says it's the biggest bolt on performance gain you can get, they say 20hp, and wider torque curve, and the sound at idle with the stainless system gives it a nice bark, and under power it just sounds great without being annoying.
'70 TR6
N of Boston
Old 03-04-2017, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It seems like we get to miss something with SSI gone to Dansk.
It doesn't make sense producing thick flange heat boxes for the US market and omitting the O2 bung when all US cars from 80 to 89 require the sensor use.
I would tend to be highly dissatisfied with the idea of spending that much money and not be able to be stock off the shelf usable when that quantity of Porsche product comes to the US.
Bruce
Old 03-05-2017, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I believe the OP was misinformed. If you look up the part number listed above, the SSIs come with an O2 sensor bung installed "Notes: Thick exhaust flanges, and with oxygen sensor hole."

He wants to know if he needs the sensor.

Greg, I am sure the car will run without it, especially when cold (open loop) but when the car warms up without the O2 sensor and ECU in the loop, the car will run rough. Can you adjust all that to work properly without the O2 sensor? Probably, but why would you want to?
Old 03-05-2017, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
You don't NEED it. Just like you don't need any other thing for your car. If you are fine with 1980 technology then save a bunch of time, money and hassle. HOWEVER, it's a great upgrade IMHO. Yes it's an expensive upgrade but bolt on power upgrades are limited in the Porsche realm. And engine upgrades are much more expensive. I think for 75-83 it's one of the best mods you can do because it looks and sounds amazing and clinically proven by experts to increase hp and torque.

Pelican's own page describes it pretty well and states your car uses 91-915SSI the m-124 I think is the supplier as Pelican sometimes uses multiple suppliers. That one does include the bung for O2 sensor which you want and need. *Do your own research.

You also need the mounting hardware, a mix of copper nuts and the cylinder hex nuts that go up through the SSI pass through holes. You need exhaust gaskets and muffler gaskets and new muffler bolts and nuts. You may also need some spacers or washers that will clear the exhaust studs to make sure the cylinder nuts can be fully tightened without the stud passing through the hex area where the driver engages. When the stud starts to pass through the hex area, the driver will no longer engage and you can't tighten the nut (bottoming out)

Pretty sure you need the oil crossover line too. The cat is eliminated in the SSI setup. So your car may not pass emissions with SSI. A member in Colorado has equipped dual cats off the SSI into a muffler on his car.
Do you have to pass emissions?

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 03-05-2017, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks to all. That was quick.

The question about whether I need it or not pertained to the O2 sensor. I am definitely getting the SSIs. And although I will not have to pass emissions (CT tests only 1992 and younger) I will get the SSIs with the O2 sensor bung, and new oil lines.

Last question: I want a fairly tame (quiet) muffler--2 in one out. recommendations? Anything to be concerned about? Thinking about going with dansk stainless.

ghamilton: many thanks for the offer to take pictures. no pics requested here, but if anyone can describe the new oil lines, that would be useful. Not sure what the differences are vs stock.

Again, many thanks for the help.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Information Junky

I put SSi's and a dansk stainless single out on my 1981. It's not quiet by today's standards, it's not ridiculously loud.

I run mine without the O2 line connected (mixture adjusted to compensate). This seems to give better throttle response, but worse fuel economy.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Taken from PP parts catalog:

"Oil Line Update: If you are installing SSI heat exchangers (or a pre-1974 style exhaust) onto a 1978-89 911SC or 911 Carrera, then you need to replace TWO oil lines. These replacement lines are original parts used on earlier 911 models, but since 1978-89 models adopted a "cross-over" style exhaust system, the lines are different.

The part numbers necessary are the following:

911-107-739-10-M127 - One (1) needed
911-107-729-10-M127 - For cars WITH a Front Oil Cooler
OR
911-107-728-00-M20 - For cars WITHOUT a Front Oil Cooler"

The main difference is how the oil line wraps under the engine to clear the SSI heat exchangers.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hello,
may I use this thread as I have a similar based question.

I have a 79 3.0 SC, already fitted with SSI.
Actually I have the Dansk Sport muffler 2in/1out (type 92.510).
I want to change to a 2in/2out.
Orientation is a M&K 911S Street MKM29ST.
I like the compact build and the position of the 2 outlets.

BUT, I am in Germany, USD 1000 plus shipping plus tax plus customs is way too much for me.
Any Idea of an option for me in Germany/Europe?
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 10-08-2019, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Greg and others, 1981 SC targa here, usa model.

you need thick flange and O2 bung.

When i ordered my SSI's...i got thin flange without O2 bung, yeah, great retailers over here.
But got a bung welded in (cost me 6 beers), and the thin flanges just bolt on no problems. SSI's needed some persuasion to fit on my car. A little grind and bang here and there, nothing dramatic.

I had an SS muffler on there first, i think Dansk sport, 1 outlet, most people would consider this 'sensible'. But TBH it is way too loud if you have any considerations for other people AND yourself. I found it droney and annoying, especially around cruising rpms.
The 911 engine is already plenty loud on itself, you dont need loud exhaust.
I got rid of the dansk and mounted an original steel banana from 1973 or 74 car. It is perfect. It is still a bit louder than the stock SC pipes, but it is musical. The SSI's sounds completely different than the original pipes anyway. They sound old' skool 911, like longhoods.

All these cars need new exhausts anyway, most of the originals are almost rotten. mmm perforated heater boxes and deadly gasses. Get rid of them. SSI is a no brainer. Power gains? naah, you will not really feel it. Maybe tiny bit midrange. But you get used to it after the second drive.

My opninion of course,
good luck,
Jan
Old 10-08-2019, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
most retailers sell the necessary oil lines in a kit. You need them.

buy some new nice flexible heater pipes while you are in there.

Mounting the exhaust and oil lines is not as easy as it sounds. Impossible without a lift i would say, and very easy to get into cursing territory, snapping studs and not getting the oil lines loose. B*tch of a job if you ask me.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

+20 hp improvement is pretty optimistic on a factory engine, IMHO; more realistic with improvements in breathing, rpm and displacement increases. Confirm with a before and after road dyno test session, then let us know.

SSI heat exchangers are an aftermarket SS version of the early 911 heat exchangers which have different ducting pieces to supply heated cabin air. There are various ways of ducting air, but many aim to replicate the early system. There are many threads in the archives that describe/show those variations.

Sherwood
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Evil Genius

Garage
my 82 SC got SSI's, a Monty exhaust that wasn't that much louder than stock, AND the addition of Web 20/21 cams.

Putting the whole package together I had much more pull, better power curve, and it LOVED to breath in the 4-6,000 RPM range.

I dyno'd it about 15 years ago, but forget the numbers, but the data showed noticable gains across the whole range, with greatest gains upper rpm's due to the cams breathing way better than stock.

IMHO

Wag more, bark less.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
o2 sensor , ssi