Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which Red Line Fluid?

Wanna chg my tranny fluid in the 88. Which one is recommended?

TIA
Kenny
Old 01-24-2003, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I used Redline 75w90 gear oil on my '87 with Quiafe differential. I don't recommend Swepco on G-50 while it's great on 915 tranny. Do you have LSD? My mechanic once mention you have to mix with other weight of gear oil for LSD equipped tranny. Other experts please weight in.
Andy
'87 Carrera
-'07 GT3 RS -'07 Top Kart KPV-4
Old 01-24-2003, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On a g50 mobil 1 is suppose to be the ticket
Old 01-24-2003, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cool

Redline in a G-50 is a mix.. it's the same as my 915 with a 1/2 qt of their other gear oil..it's not straight 75w90.. it has a letter after it.. to cold to find out now/don't matter.. the rep from Redline explained it here or on rennlist.. I suggest a call to Redline because I didn't take notes on it.. maybe a search will bring it up.. sorry .................Ron
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-24-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have used Redline in my tranny, and while it works great, I have one problem. I put a little leftover gear oil in a clear, clean glass jar, and it sat on my shelf for about a year sealed up. Now, the oil has become foggy and pale colored, and get this, there's a layer of thick goo on the bottom. Personally, I don't want that in my gearbox...
Old 01-24-2003, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Ron,

Which one do you mean? 75w90NS, MTL, or MT90?

Yep. Redline will probably recommend a combo of some of the above. For example, in a G50 they recommended a blend of one quart of the Lightweight Gear Oil and the remainder 75W90NS (trans. w/out LSD).

Also said that the Porsche LSDs are less prone to chatter and there's not much difference between the NS (for use w/out LSD) and the regular 75w90. This is the Redline guy talking, not me. Although I do know he has/had a 993. Must be somewhat knowledgeable because he recommended 2:1 MTL and MT90 for the trans. and transfer case of my AWD Mitsu. thing?

I have been happy with Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 in my G50 (no limited slip unfortunately).

You probably can't go wrong with any of the synthetic brands. G50 is supposed to like synthetic better than regular gear oil. Just a matter of how much $ you want to pay.

Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Silkolene, BG Syncroshift, ................ take your pick. There's all sorts out there from which to choose!
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 01-24-2003, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by KTL
Ron,

Which one do you mean? 75w90NS, MTL, or MT90?

Yep. Redline will probably recommend a combo of some of the above. For example, in a G50 they recommended a blend of one quart of the Lightweight Gear Oil and the remainder 75W90NS (trans. w/out LSD).

Kevin.. I use the 75w90NS in a 915.. and don't have info on what other Redline gear oil to cut it with for the G-50

Toman... if you take brand new engine oil and do the clear glass act for a year you'll find "thick goo" on the bottom.. so maybe give your results a little more thought
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-25-2003, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
hmm. Interesting. I don't normaly put various oils in jars. Is there any particular reason for the goo? Does it get mixed back in when it's circulated or something? It makes me wonder about cars that sit without being drivin for a while because that is certainly not something I want running through my motor...
Old 01-25-2003, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cool

Originally posted by toman

[B]Is there any particular reason for the goo?[B]
---not an expert.. but it must be the additives

[B] Does it get mixed back in when it's circulated?[B]
---don't know. I usually dump it if it's a year old from purchase.. or a shake if over 6 months

It makes me wonder about cars that sit without being drivin for a while because that is certainly not something I want running through my motor...
--- it must get mixed with the engine running.. I dump it after a year because a shake still leaves a layer of additives on the bottom of the container.. and I've never heard or read of a problem with cars that sit around for awhile..

so, IMO, the issue is if you can get all the additives out of an old container.. and I don't know if this is an issue with every style and brand of oil.. this is only what I have seen..........Ron
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-25-2003, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: