Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Dashboard Configuration 1970T

Could someone please give me some advice as to down which road one should proceed:

This is a pic. of the current dashboard arrangement. Can the switch to the left of the coffin nail lighter be used to activate a set of fog/driving lights connected up to & using existing factory wiring bundled with headlight & horn circuits or should it stay as is? The switch is supposedly for the hazards (I think ?) but the next pic. shows the location of a hazard switch which seems bit odd to me to have 2 switches for the same function.

I ask this as the PO (why do we always blame them for the balls-ups?) has a cheapo toggle switch mounted just the right of the steering column with a real slap-dash wiring system to activate said fogs. My hope is I am able to use the existing dashboard switch. I've tried to resolve the wiring (& to determine to what & where things connect) under the dash using the SL35 schematic but I'm hitting a bit of a wall. I have always tended to perceive electronics to be a 'black art' so I am learning on the fly. Some of the wiring in its present state has been, to put it charitably, severely compromised. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated so Thanks in advance.

Cheers
JB

Geez - I never realized my dash & its controls looked that seedy & tired - guess that's what 47 yrs will do to a car!

Last edited by Hawkeye's-911T; 05-19-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Old 05-19-2017, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Isn't that the switch for the rear window defroster to the right of the lighter?
2013 Cayenne GTS Meteor Grey
2019 Targa GTS Agate Grey
Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Youbet. The one to the right lighter is for a single stage rear window de-fogger.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Of course that switch can be used to activate fog/driving lights if it is not being used for something else. The wiring for the switches located above the radio is accessed through the luggage compartment, not from underneath the dashboard. Open the trunk, remove the carpeting, the fiberboard divider and the ventilation blower. All will then be revealed.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

From the 1970 911 Owner's Manual, the switch to the left of the cigarette light is for the optional Fog lights.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Thanks for the info Guys

I've already removed (about a year back) the necessary bits & pieces for access from the trunk. This was when I first discovered wiring that had been 'modified'. This coupled with sorting out the under-the-dash mess is going to be a bituvabitsch. A few hours & a few beers & all will be right - I hope. Once again, Thanks.

Cheers
JB

Old 05-19-2017, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: