Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Headlight and some fuse problems...

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here as I'm a proud new owner of a 1986 911. After driving it from Denver to Northern California without many problems, I am stumbling across quite a lot of home-brew wiring under the dash and in the luggage compartment. To that in a moment. Right away, I need some help replacing just the lens on my Euro headlights. First, a quick story:

You see, my wife was very excited about this car, so the fist full day we owned it, we went to the hills for a scenic drive to and back from dinner. On the way back, at 50mph on a damp 50mph limit road, a dumb deer jumped out from the left of the road. I hit the brakes as best I could, but while cornering in the we and not knowing the car too well yet, I probably didn't brake full efficiency, and ended up barely tagging her hip. This broke my headlight lens and creased my headlight rim and trim piece. /story

So, looking at the headlight, I removed the single small screw that held on the trim ring, exposing a chrome ring with 2 screws in it. I thought these would remove it, but seem to just adjust it, instead. Do I just keep cranking until it comes off? Finally, I ordered P/Ns:

LRA090-INT
911-631-967-00-M260
911-631-933-01-OEM

...did I order the right stuff? To be honest, I'm not SUPER pleased with Pelican's ability to tell me the difference in parts. They have no description, just an indicator if it fits my car or not. I get it, lots of parts "fit" my car. It doesn't say "For Euro headlight", "For Sealed Beam", etc. I notice now that the trim rings have three screws in them, which doesn't seem right to me. I don't know. This Porsche thing is FAR more confusing than the BMWs and Audis I'm used to. Any help would be appreciated.

Finally, my Auto Heat doesn't work. Shocker, right? The blower is busted, but I noticed the fuses are blown, so first step is to replace those. They look very old. Secondly, and this is where the rat's nest under the dash comes in, I noticed the temperature sensor for the cabin is not in the little holder. I found, what looks like an IAT sensor, with both terminals electrical taped in to the leads, under the dash, near the headlight switch. I'm going to follow it back a bit better later, but my hunch is that this was a shoddy attempt at replacing the sensor. I also have some lighting issues that need sorting, and after seeing all the Pep Boys wire splices to the cables under there, I'm sure they have something to do with them.

My questions regarding Auto Heat: Where the system is inop except for when set to Defrost, is it likely that the front temp sensor is the fault in the system? If so, where do I go to find an actual replacement? Typing all sorts of combinations of words into Pelican comes up short. I'd really like to get the system to work, if I can. Does anyone know the general resistance value the Auto Heat system is looking for from that sensor?

Final question, I promise... for now: There is a random ground strap just chillin' in the upper right of my engine bay. I noticed it today making sure all the vacuum lines are hooked up (since my power brakes and cruise control sind kaput) and I haven't got a clue where it goes. It seems too short to grab the engine in any meaningful place. Does it somehow reach to the AC compressor? See photos.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

The 911 headlights are held by the lower screw. You have painted trim rings these are held by a small screw that is screwed in a "hollow" screw.
You can see these screws in this post
Headlight trim ring screw

The headlight assembly ring has two aiming screws and the lower screw .

To disassemble the headlight lens you need to remove some wire clips that hold the lens to the assembly.

The parts you will need :
The lens, the lens gasket, the ring with the adjusting screws, the trim ring and an assembly gasket.

First check who is the manufacturer of your lens, Bosch, Hella, Marelli , AL ? You can see the markings in the other headlight.

I do not see a chrome assembly ring in the Pelican catalog, I only see the p/n you mentioned but it is black not chrome. The black ring you have is the trim ring not the assembly ring.

Search for parts for H4 European headlights. There are original Porsche parts, OEM parts and reproduction parts.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Welcome to the madness.

That ground strap is for the engine lid. Should be tight to one of the 2 bolts on that attach the lid to the hinges.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 06-14-2017, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Here some pictures
You need to remove the wire clips to change the broken lens.
The adjusting screws you can disconnect the metal part from the rubber barrels.
You can see the lens markings, if you want to have the same lens you had before.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just so you know, the original headlights for 1986 would have been sealed beams, often referred to as sugar scoops. Somewhere along the line a PO upgraded to what you have now.
1955 Chevy Apache 3100 Pickup

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
Old 06-15-2017, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hey everyone,

Sorry for no response, the notification emails weren't working for me! Thanks for the help, so far. I haven't had too much time to work on it, but the Bosch lenses were very pricey and so I ordered two Marelli lenses. The problem now is that it seems the shape of the headlight ring (the one with the adjusting screws) is a slightly different shape to the chrome ones I had. I think it'll fit, but it is remarkably tight with the original seal. I tried the chrome ring again, and it popped on just fine. I removed the gasket and the new ring fits, but very tightly. Is there a version that doesn't use this gasket, or should I keep fidgeting with it? I'm worried about getting the hollow screw into the threaded tab at the wrong angle and stripping it if I force the situation. I want to make sure I'm not trying to fit a headlight that isn't made for it! This is surly not Porsche's best design.....

There is a stamped metal nut insert in the hatch arm, I'm sure that's there that piece goes. Why does it need to be grounded? There is no electrical connection in there, is there?

Sorting out the heating system seems fun, too. I replaced the fuses in the engine bay area. Blower still won't turn on. The auto heat servo sounds like it moves at different positions, but there is no blower helping it out. The footwell blowers do not turn on unless the dash-mounted lever is on the 1, 2, or 3. The ONLY real change with replacing the fuses is that the little defrost symbol on the fresh air control panel is no longer illuminated. Previously, it was permanently on while the car was running.

Why is it always electronics???
Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

the side foot well blowers are only controlled by the autoheat control between the seats.

if you hear the servo motor in the autoheat(AH) run for a few seconds then stop and the fuses are good, there are 2, and no fans at all either the motors are locked up or the 12v supply microswitch in the AH is bad.
I did I thread on swapping switches in the AH controls to fix this problem or you can order a new microswitch.

auto heat- foot well blowers part deux.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
the side foot well blowers are only controlled by the autoheat control between the seats.

if you hear the servo motor in the autoheat(AH) run for a few seconds then stop and the fuses are good, there are 2, and no fans at all either the motors are locked up or the 12v supply microswitch in the AH is bad.
I did I thread on swapping switches in the AH controls to fix this problem or you can order a new microswitch.

auto heat- foot well blowers part deux.
Thanks for the info! So... info. I checked all the associated fuses and most connections. I checked fuse 8 under the main panel up front, it had a loose screw and the wire was barely in. A small shake of anything near it disconnected it intermittently. I hope this is why fuse 1 and 2 in the rear blew, but I'm not sure they are connected like that. After that fix and replacing the rear 1 and 2 fuses, the small cabin temperature fan turned on, but is on all the time, regardless of auto heat position, including while auto heat is set to "off".

So I pulled the engine bay relay and checked terminal 12 for power and it has none, even with the fuse 8 up front tightened down and confirmed to be conducting power. Terminal 7 + 8 show 12.11V, same as the battery.

So... Things that happen when I turn the auto heat dial:

-The servo makes noise and sounds like it is operating something mechanical (noise changes throughout the movement range) but always stops at the same position.
-There is some old metal creaking noise in front of the passenger rear wheel, under the car, but in my driveway, I cannot see what it is. My assumption is the heat valve, it does not sound stuck.
-Heat starts to trickle into the cockpit.

Things that still do not occur:

-NO fans are running.
-NO power goes to terminal 12 on the heater relay.

Does this point to a bad switch in the auto heat dial? Does that switch control terminal 12, or is it weird that terminal 12 has 0.05V but the servo is working? This system is very "interesting"...

On the headlight front, I got the new black rim in with the new glass. Is it weird that I kinda like the look of the flat black rim with no trim ring???

Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
auto heat , automatic heat , electrical , ground strap , heater