Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I've looked thru my Bentley and I can't seem to find any mention of a crank position sensor. I am dealing with a 3.0 sc engine and not a 3.2.

Are you guys sure that there are crank sensors on the 3.0L engine?, and if so, where are they located?
Thanks
hughc
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLJett View Post
You might want to jump to the end of that thread I provided above. His issue ended up being 1 or both crank sensors going bad once heat soaked. I believe there was a procedure where you could check the resistance cold and then hot to see it the sensors are failing once hot. Seems easy enough to try before sending your CDI anywhere.
There are no crank position sensors on a 3.0. Itís CIS, not Motronic EFI.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you Tim. It's unfortunate that there are dullards out there that feel they should respond to every posts even when their suggestions are way off base. As much as we like to learn it's a huge waste of time following up on recommendations that will get us absolutely nowhere. Rant over.
hughc
Old 10-12-2017, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughc View Post
Thank you Tim. It's unfortunate that there are dullards out there that feel they should respond to every posts even when their suggestions are way off base. As much as we like to learn it's a huge waste of time following up on recommendations that will get us absolutely nowhere. Rant over.
hughc
Lighten up Francis. He's trying to help you. Most of us don't fix porsches for a living so we rely on the community for helpful suggestions. Each suggestion has to be taken
With a grain of salt.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Quote:
hughc
I feel your pain but Iím not going to throw stones. Iíve been wrong before when I had good intentions.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Would be nice if this forum had a Like/Thank feature which would allow people to see the "Knows-His-*****" factor of any poster.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
All right guys, I'll admit I was a bit harsh in my last post, and my apologies to anyone that may have been offended.
As you all know, it sometimes gets to be more than just a little frustrating when chasing a problem; and being sent on a wild goose chase doesn't make it any more pleasurable.

BTW who's Francis?

hughc
Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

No prob. Frustrating can be putting it mildly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs
Old 10-13-2017, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
I knew I shouldn't have asked.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Very, very, very frustrating. Things just seem to be going from bad to worst.

I removed the alternator from the vehicle and had both it and the VR checked by a professional shop and they both checked out OK, although I was told the brushes on the VR were wearing quite badly. The alternator was replaced app 20K mi ago, according to work records but I was also told the slip rings were noticeably worn.
So with the alternator and VR checking out OK that system can probably be eliminated as the cause to the fluctuating tach, but I do have a new VR on the way and will install it as I receive it.

What's even more frustrating now is that the engine is shutting of as I drive it. I went for a drive today and the engine quit at least 8 times. In every case I just had to turn the key off and restart the engine, no problem. Twice I pulled over and came to a stop, did not touch the key, just left everything as is, then with a voltmeter I verified that there was 12v to the FP relay and that was good. What I neglected to notice was whether or not the fuel pump was running (before I removed the relay). As it turned out I replaced the relay and the car started immediately.

So there appears to be an occasional electrical glitch that is causing the engine to quit, but where to look.
As mentioned earlier in my post the CDI unit was recently rebuilt by Bob Aschroft so I don't suspect that unit but I suppose any related wiring might at fault.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Thx
hugh
The problem you describe is typical of a CDI component failure as the CDI heats-up causing the
main CDI internal switching device to 'latch-up' (doesn't turn-off), requiring the ignition switch
to be cycled (turned off then on). The problem will continue until the CDI fully cools down.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Thx Dave. Other posters are of the same opinion and I may eventually send the CDI unit out to be checked but I have a few checks that I'd like to do before hand. I was out with the car today to run a few errands and it ran flawlessly ie no quitting.
I'll drive it some more until it quits then I'll be able to verify (confirm) there is voltage at the FP relay.

I suppose there is a remote possibility the ignition switch is at fault and by confirming there is voltage at fuse 16 would eliminate the switch.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: