Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
noise in front end after changing Boge Front strut inserts in Boge Struts

Hi,

I changed the strut inserts and now notice that with bumps etc that there is a noise in the front end. Only changed the strut insert from the top and loosened nothing else..
Followed the How To Article.

I did reinstall the rubber stop. Does the position of the rubber stop affect the shock somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

geoff
Old 10-01-2017, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Please add some detail: what year car? Bilstien struts or Boges? Bilstien insterts, or Boges? I ask because Bilstien inserts require and land nut and it is not easy to tighten without a special tool. Even with the tool, I had one loosen one time and it rattled like you describe.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I'd make sure the gland nut is good and tight.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hi,

It is an 1983 SC. The strut is a Boge strut and replacement strut inserts were Boge.
Essentially took out the strut inserts that were on the car when I bought it and replaced them
Old 10-01-2017, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
heir 2 the original owner

Garage
Did you put a little oil in the strut before you put your new insert in? Maybe things are too dry in the strut?

Did you retighten the metal cap on the strut all the way as far as it will go after replacing the insert? (You know the one, that beeyatch of a cap you needed a plumber's wrench to loosen?)

Can you repeat the sound when you're stationary and just pressing down on the car? Is it happening with both wheels or just one? Does it require a bump to hit before it will do it?

I did this job recently on my 89, replaced with Sachs inserts, and didn't have the problem you describe. I replaced all the hardware up top - incl the metal plate that goes below the nut on the top of the strut insert. I also bought those new long rubber stops that fit on the shaft of the insert. I tightened the strut nut down hard, until I couldn't tighten anymore. I 'think' I torqued it to spec, whatever the spec is? Basically followed these directions with good success. Porsche 911 Front Shock – Strut Replacement | RVB Precision

If everything else was done correctly, then it sounds like another suspension piece may be worn. Often times parts especially suspension kind of adapt to each other with age, and if you refresh one then that throws everything else off 'balance' as it were.

These are just my guesses. I'm not a mechanic I just play one on public forums. ;-)
Old 10-01-2017, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for advice.

I cannot get to the car for another week (offsite storage) but I can repeat the noise by pressing on the wing.
I will recheck it all out next weekend.

thankyou

geoff
Old 10-02-2017, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

hi do the Koni inserts have the same gland nut issue ? I have a similar noise.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Tfan View Post
hi do the Koni inserts have the same gland nut issue ? I have a similar noise.
For you and the OP,

There are several parts up front that can cause a knocking sound. The struts are just one. If you're certain you installed them right, I'd start looking at front sway bars specifically all of the rubber mounts, ball joints and torsion bar mounting.

The gland nut isn't necessarily an issue. It's the large nut that holds the strut in the strut tube. It can be an issue if it's not tightened or if something was left in the bottom of the strut tube and the new strut is resting on top of that.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

In some cases the strut insert doesn't bottom into the strut casing and locate correctly.

This is quite common with some of the Koni Inserts and the cartridge can move radially.

The Boge insert normally locates quite well and as long as it is clamped tightly into place it should be OK.

If the nut is not tight any axial movement will generate a noise.

The practice of putting oil into the strut leg was to conduct heat away from the damper and provide some cooling.

Using oil so you don't hear the 'knock' is not the best idea.

Last edited by chris_seven; 10-08-2017 at 12:46 AM..
Old 10-03-2017, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Idiot me.

Returned to the car today and noted three threads either side. Tightened it correctly this time and problem resolved.

Not sure how I missed this last week. Maybe it settled with that second longer drive.

thanks to those who read it and responded.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: