Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Impact bumper assembly order of operations...

Assembled the front end of my 88 carrera without too much drama, but by the end of it I was admittedly over fishing around trying to tighten tiny hardware and stuffing bellows into places they shouldn't fit.

With that in mind...is there a suggested best practice as far as order of assembly for the rear end?

As an aside, although I love the stock look, I'm finding myself pretty upset as I bolt several tens of pounds back onto the car...not to mention the fact that I'd be money ahead had I gone with 'glass bumpers vs. all new small bits!

Old 11-02-2017, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
From memory:
1. Unscrew the license plate lights and disconnect the wires.
2. From the backside, pull each license plate wire out of the bumper and pull back th metal tabs on the impact shocks that hold the wires in place, tuck them out of the way.
3. Unbolt the bumperettes from behind, remove the cosmetic caps on the rubber strip and remove both strips. The side screws have a bolt on the backside so you must hold the back with a wrench.
4. Remove the 4 10mm bolts that hold the bumper extensions to the car. Remove the six 8mm bolts that hold the top of the extensions to the body. The oil tank side is tricky. Use various extensions and universal joints to get at ‘em.
5. Unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the bumper to the impact shocks.

The bumper can come off in one piece with the bellows and extensions together.

Reverse for reassembly (so attach bellows and extensions to bumper before attaching bumper—do not over tighten the bellow nuts-just snug—it’s a self locking nut)

Hope this helps

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads

Last edited by 75 911s; 11-02-2017 at 07:44 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
....With that in mind...is there a suggested best practice as far as order of assembly for the rear end? !
Make sure you thread the wires for the license plate lights into the bumper pads before you button it up. I usually do the threading first so I don't forget.

Also don't tighten everything up until you have the rubber side skirts attached on all the studs. Also leave these loose until the bumper is tightened then return to them.

Visually check the alignment and side-to-side height before final tightening. You can use your knees to tweak/re-align as needed.

Bill K
Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys!

Anyone have a clever way to hold the impact strips down without the bumpers?
Old 11-04-2017, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There are small bolts holding the strips down.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
Thanks guys!

Anyone have a clever way to hold the impact strips down without the bumpers?
They have metal within the rubber....just bend them inward (at the tips) and they will stay that way.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Impact bumper assembly order of operations...

I really like it better without the bumperettes. Time to find a donor bumper to mess with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SoCalSK8r; 11-04-2017 at 05:45 PM..
Old 11-04-2017, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: