Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Introduction to engine rebuilding class......

To fellow 911 enthusiasts:

Some one has suggested to me to conduct an engine rebuilding class and to my surprise, there are numerous members showing interest. I have received several PM’s expressing their desires to get into this class. One member offered his large garage but he is 300 miles away from home. So getting the engines, equipment, tools, etc. would require some serious logistic undertaking.

I have a two-car garage/carport soon to be a 3-car parking space. If I park my ‘78 and ‘89 at my son’s residence which is only 7 miles away, there would be ample room to accommodate a small group (5 or less) for engine tear down or engine assembly class.

Take a look what a novice engine rebuilder could do:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LGSdRdyNVgc&feature=youtu.be

Watching the first 4 mins. of the video was not interesting until James Wirth (owner of the engine that I rebuilt to his specification) started passing every car on sight. Every time I watch this video, I could not believe I built this motor. It has about 280 Hp on the dyno.

I had no experience in engine rebuilding until I decided to work on my ‘78 SC more than 25 years ago because I could not afford to pay the shop. My only reference manual was Haynes. No internet, digital camera, and Pelican Parts forum did not exist then.

How about doing the first group/class for introduction to engine rebuilding in April 2018? Maybe before or after the Hershey Swap Meet? I will be away traveling in May 2018. The next available months would be June and July. August 2018 is another travel month.

Let me know what you guys want do about this idea. No more than 5 participants per class so there would more hands on experience for everyone. Reading and watching videos are good but there is no substitute to actually doing the job. BTW, I am not an authorized or trained Porsche mechanic nor an expert engine rebuilder. Just another DIY’er like most guys in this forum. Thanks.

Tony
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

How much were you thinking of charging?
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm no where near Philly, so won't be able to attend, but how cool to take an engine building class!

911E Coupe -70

Carrera 3,2 -84 Sold
Old 01-04-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Never thought about it.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elombard View Post
How much were you thinking of charging?

Erik,

That’s a good question. It never occurred to me about the preparation and expenses. I will be getting additional Stomski tools for the classes and have some printed reading materials for the procedures. I will be spending 2 full days or more with the group plus the the cost of the engine to be used as a “cadaver”. A typical good Porsche shop charges about $100+ per hour. How about if I charge $100 per day/session (8 hours)? And for the whole course $199. Would this be acceptable? Thanks.

Tony
Old 01-04-2018, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tony your class fee sounds very reasonable and affordable.

Perhaps one day you can get PCA sponsorship.

I would be interested in attending. April is hard but maybe a future one.

Good luck. What a great opportunity
Old 01-04-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tony, posting here as well I am local and am in for the April timeframe.
Joe

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would be really interested - even though I'm in Minneapolis MN.
I'm guessing there are hotels within reasonable distance from you?

School vacations and depending on the day of the week / weekend you are thinking of.

I'll PM you with my contact details to be kept in the loop on this one.
Thanks
Old 01-04-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I would love to come to this but im out in CA. Please please pretty please live stream this for those of us no where near you. Setup a twitch or youtube account to stream it
Old 01-04-2018, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Introduction to engine rebuilding class schedules........

Plan is to conduct a 2~3 days engine rebuilding classes:
a). April 2018 (dates to be determine).
b). June or July 2018 (no dates yet).

Like to have no more than 5 participants in each session. If you have a specific date in mind please let me know. I will try to accommodate everyone if possible. PM me if you have preference dates to attend and we will work around it. Thanks.

Tony

Last edited by boyt911sc; 01-09-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Sam

Garage
Tony,

As per other thread, I am interested and flexible on timing.

Thanks.

Sam
Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I would be very interested in this.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

interested. I could help out with a stand, and er, uhum.. a 3.6 rebuild to finish.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Tony, I’m interested work schedule permitting. Generally should be able to make a weekend work.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hi Tony. Please count me in. April works better for me, but I can likely come in June/July also. Thanks.

Steve
Old 01-04-2018, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Beautiful idea.
Thanks for sharing your know how.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
Tony, we've spoken in the past and I've been procrastinating my top end for two years now. Your class sounds like a fantastic idea, not only from the knowledge transfer standpoint but simply from getting a group of like minded guys together.

I'm in Lancaster so we're practically neighbors in the grand scheme of things. Sign me up. I'd be completely flexible with whatever dates you choose and the $199 sounds like a bargain given the experience.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Great idea. Just sent you a pm. Thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
Erik,

That’s a good question. It never occurred to me about the preparation and expenses. I will be getting additional Stomski tools for the classes and have some printed reading materials for the procedures. I will be spending 2 full days or more with the group plus the the cost of the engine to be used as a “cadaver”. A typical good Porsche shop charges about $100+ per hour. How about if I charge $100 per day/session (8 hours)? And for the whole course $199. Would this be acceptable? Thanks.

Tony
Tony that's awesome. $199 is a deal. Bet this is going to fill up and be a long term thing.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Coram Deo

Garage
Tony, I expect to be in the US for the latter third of June (and maybe early July) and would definitely be interested. Weekday/weekend won't make a difference for me.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Ahhh, you will be needing a larger space, as we all wanna join! I am from California
and interested too! I can bring wine to keep us all warm.

Serge
Old 01-05-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: