Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Yes. Make it how you want it. That is indeed the most important individual to please.

Remainig stock when stock CIS just plain sucks (sorry guys, it was always a cheap compromise) never made sense to me. Original for the sake of being original, especially when it’s awful, has never made sense to me unless the car were incredibly rare....
Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Keep the 2.7 ... on a pallet properly lubed and stored....(never say never gonna sell...) and build the 3.0. The 2.7 is a CIS engine and would need p/c's cams, etc all changed to optimize the new intake, and even then running pump gas and single spark plugs you'd be lucky to get a reliable 225 hp.
Twin plug the 2.7 an run 10+:1 cr and you'll get your hp but it'll be a very twitchy motor to drive on the street.
The 3L is a much better platform to work from for a mostly street driven car.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Do it your way. Let the other 75 owners feel that tiny increase in rarity as another hotrod hits the road!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastr View Post
You should thank your friend for talking you into that. It just goes to show the ideal number of Porsches is (current number)+ 1
With friends like that....who need to save for retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshiwota View Post
Thanks again for all input. Fortunately (unfortunately for some) the all steel backdate and bare metal repaint is already done. I kept it narrow body but it's already a bastard body with a 912 hood, dansk longhood latch panel and turn signal housings, 912 rear bumpers. My metal guy is great, didn't cut corners and it's hard to tell its not factory since we used factory parts.

Yes I have a budget and unless I can sell my kids and my dog, the 3.6 with ITBs will have to wait till the kids are old enough to support me. Sorry to the "restore it to original" crowd, this is my 5th 911 and 8th air cooled Porsche project and I'm tired of going stock. I'm finally building the car the way I want it and not for the next guy. If it makes you feel better, I restored my other 7 cars to stock.
Well since it you started.....KICK ASS AND MAKE IT HOW YOU WANT! The good news for you i is backdates do bring good money if you ever sell, and if you don't you can have YOUR 911. I have seen several 3.6 converted cars like mine, once done, sell for very good money. That gives me support for my project, even though I do not have the original parts. It should give you evermore. As others said, look how to store and engine for long term. It can be done so that your engine "doesn't age" and you can get back to it later. I do know someone who did that, and later rebuild their engine and made it into a table.

I do envy you. You are doing yours "all at once." I would like to do that to my '75, but I too have a budget, and my budget does not permit me to do it all at once. I cannot wait to see how this turns out.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 02-14-2018, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshiwota View Post
I need help from the collective wisdom here.
My inclination due to originality bias would be rebuild and modify the 2.7L.

Given expense and lack of originality in your proposed finished product; you should install the easiest and most cost effective method to deliver 200hp.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
My inclination due to originality bias would be rebuild and modify the 2.7L.

Given expense and lack of originality in your proposed finished product; you should install the easiest and most cost effective method to deliver 200hp.
A Subaru conversion? Sweet!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 02-14-2018, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
A Subaru conversion? Sweet!
You ever wire a Subaru swap? Thatís 50 hours that can be better spent...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: