Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
We're now just a few days from roadworthy, if all goes well and parts arrive on time. Final hit list of what is being/has been done:

- brakes at all four corners including calipers and some lines
- front wheel bearings
- tires
- fuel tank drained
- fuel pump
- oil change
- trans fluid change
- front ride height adjustment to Euro height (rear has been done)
- a few relays and fuses which had failed while sitting
- TLC from Dave, who is apparently a Porsche whisperer and got it running great while replacing exactly 0 engine parts

Planning for a Saturday pickup. It will have been a few days over 2 months since we retrieved the car, and I can't wait to get it back on the road.

There will be more to do this winter, but for now it'll be great to have it cruising around to really get to know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2018, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Administrator

Can't wait till you get the car back and get to enjoy it!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
https://media.giphy.com/media/MIlx72MOfloYg/giphy.gif

So it's finally back and picked up from ButziGear after Dave broke his back working on it for a few months. Well over budget* and by no means done* but it is driveable and I'll cruise around in it for a bit to determine any additional needs.

I'll post the full hit list of what was done tomorrow, but it needed a lot.

Biggest remaining need is a trans rebuild, unfortunately, but this was not entirely unforeseen. It has all 5 gears and reverse, but every one (except reverse) is difficult to find and there's a significant whine. Once the 993 is sold, hopefully soon, it'll go under the knife again for that and a few other, less major but still necessary repairs.

The change to Euro ride height was MASSIVE aesthetically. After seeing the car the same way for 13 years I can't get over the difference.

But, it looks great and it's been amazing to have this part of my dad back again.

*neither of these are in any way Dave's fault, he did a phenomenal job and bent over backwards on this project. On a limited budget, he did an amazing job fighting age and neglect, the latter of which was far worse than we expected. Sneak peek example: the f@cking master cylinder corroded through and had a pinhole leak.

And now, obligatory photo dump from this afternoon:

^ is the entire frunk on these cars a gas tank? FFS that receipt was a gut punch.

^ most pretentious picture I've ever taken? Very possibly. No regrets.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Is the entire frunk a gas tank...lol yes it is. 20 something gallons. But there good on gas 25-30mpg so you can go far.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Reading through this thread again... wow was I optimistic about what it would need to get back on the road. As promised, the final hit list is (to the best of my memory):

- fuel pump relay
- fuel pump and related ancillaries
- battery
- oil service
- trans fluid change
- new tires all around
- tie rods
- repack wheel bearings
- pads and rotors all around
- replace front calipers
- rebuild rear calipers
- replace a few brake hard lines
- replace master cylinder
- new air filter
- clean MAF
- thorough cleaning inside and out
- a few fuses and relays to restore power to the car
- reset front ride height
- alignment

And that gets us to functional. The ignition module is absurdly expensive so it got put on the back burner, but it is definitely annoying so it's towards the top of the to-do list. Trans linkage rebuild is right up there also.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Part of my hurry to get this car on the road, aside from the welcome distraction, was the Caffeine and Carburetors (our local cars and coffee, run 4x a year) show held today. They always pick random categories or marques to focus each show on, announced way in advance, and this time the feature categories were BMWs and legacy cars with a family history. Naturally given the story behind this car, and the odd coincidence in timing (they've never done legacy cars before as far as I know), I wanted to have this be the Targa's inaugural show in my stewardship. The trans didn't love the traffic getting in, but it made it there and made another air cooled friend. Definitely emotional for me to have it at the show, and it was a great time.

And a few other air cooled cars from the show; there was a huge Porsche corral but I didn't take nearly enough photos.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

That's awesome. You did it. You made it there - and that's saying something. That's a good car if it made it there. A lot of work was done in short time and it seems you are in the game now. Your father would be proud for sure.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Nice.

Now don't make the irreversible mistake of selling that 993 cab
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
That's awesome. You did it. You made it there - and that's saying something. That's a good car if it made it there. A lot of work was done in short time and it seems you are in the game now. Your father would be proud for sure.

Appreciate the kind words! It means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911SauCy View Post
Nice.

Now don't make the irreversible mistake of selling that 993 cab
It's gotta go so the other one can live, unfortunately. I wish I had the money, space, and time to keep both but I don't have any of the three right now.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbe_911 View Post

It's gotta go so the other one can live, unfortunately. I wish I had the money, space, and time to keep both but I don't have any of the three right now.

It's more valuable than the SC...

Coming from someone who was hanging off the edge of the earth (almost sold my SC after having back surgery and losing my job because of it...) you should dig deep and see what you can figure out.

Jus' sayin"

Last edited by 911SauCy; 06-20-2018 at 05:34 AM..
Old 06-20-2018, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911SauCy View Post
It's more valuable than the SC...

Coming from someone who was hanging off the edge of the earth (almost sold my SC after having back surgery and losing my job because of it...) you should dig deep and see what you can figure out.

Jus' sayin"

From a dollars and cents perspective, inarguably. It's a seriously cool car.

I was initially planning on keeping the 993 instead. The Carrera is just worth far more to me, in terms of family history, than it would be to anyone else. I couldn't stomach the idea of selling it. And I definitely do not have space or time for 4 cars, and won't for at least the next several years. 3 is already an expensive pain in the ass.

I'll keep the memories and stories of the slower, less valuable car and hand them, and the car, down to my eventual kids.

I guess I don't ultimately care about the actual value of my cars as long as I like them and they do what they're supposed to. It also reduces insurance, property tax (thanks, CT), and running costs to have a simpler car.

I certainly do appreciate the advice and input, but I'm happy and at peace with my choice. I'll miss the 993, but I won't regret it in the big picture of things.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: