Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

To Rat- I had my car down almost 3 years primarily due to the person handling body/paint. It was with him 2 years. I foolishly believed his promises of “ready next month”. My bad (and his asshat way of treating people). The absence of the car and sour feelings actually made me resent the car a little. I got it back finally and my mechanic was great. Finally getting behind the wheel reminded me why I enjoy the car. There’s still some lingering resentment but ultimately what can be taken apart can be put back together.

Sounds like you have a great project. Writing down progress and “to do’s” will keep down the sense of being in too deep at bay. The car will be great in the end and it will be yours and you work.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
The point of me mentioning this is that I still find myself thinking of other things to do on this car while it's down for the count. I have to keep telling myself that the only things i'm allowed to do are limited to the engine bay forward to the torsion bar housing. Anything else is off limits until I get the engine back together.

It's just too darn easy to start tearing into all the other things you want to do and then the next thing you know, you've got a massive list of things to do in order to get it back together again. You're better off tackling things a few small projects at a time.
Kevin...completely agree with you! My original intention was to rebuild my engine, clean up the engine bay and trans tunnel area as clean as I could get it, and then be done.

As part of this.. my intention was to remove the A/C components completely off the car since it wasn't working and I'd need to replace all of it... which I'll do at a MUCH later time.

Once I got the front end lifted up... that's when this became a MUCH BIGGER project than I thought as I began to cut off rusty bolts and found rust patch hidden under parts I was taking off.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
… the thing about having gotten older for myself is I can now recognize more fully what a project entails and the shear mass of tools & crap one needs in general to make a task go easier and more successfully …
LOL!!! That is EXACTLY the biggest issue I have... spending money on some obscure tool to reach some obscure bolt... but of course running to the local store gets you a 5-piece set when all you need is just ONE 1/4" 10MM LONG NOSED DOUBLE SWIVEL INSIDE GRIP WIDE MOUTHED SOCKET...

Right now... my biggest problem is buying something that has a 6" extension on it hoping it works, and finding out it doesn't and I'll need to change my tactic. $11 USD wasted.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
'73 911 T Targa

Garage
You guys are my heros!

I don't have the talent or perseverance for this, but greatly appreciate the skills and outcomes from those of you who do.

I never cease to be amazed.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Another slippery slope/rabbit hole is if you want to have some hardware plated. Then you start looking at what else you feel needs to be plated since you might as well get as much done as you can with the plater. I've had that internal (losing) argument with myself too.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Not yet with the Porsche, but with the '53 MGTD that was red when I bought it, decided to restore it to the original color, discovering in the process that most of the wooden body frame was rotten requiring replacement, and had to dismantle the whole thing... very definitely. Was pleased with the end result, although the dollars flowed like water.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I am in the planning stages on this little bundle of joy and already have a bit of, "what have I gotten myself into".

I'll get over it...I can quit anytime.

Kitchen clean.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post

I'll get over it...I can quit anytime.

Oh yeah, that's what all cigarette addicts say...
Old 05-02-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakrat View Post
well... what started off as a complete engine rebuild... (which has been 9 weeks and Ollie's Engineering STILL has all my engine parts at their facility)

1.) has then turned into a complete cleaning up of the engine bay
2.) to cleaning and replacing the rear suspension
3.) to replacing the fuel lines
4.) to the removal of the AC,
5.) to the removal of the front bumper,
6.) to a removal of the front fenders
7.) to a complete front end suspension refresh/restore
8.) to a removal of the door panels and doors
9.) to repairing the rust
10.) which will most likely end up with a complete glass-out repaint

oh well.. in about 5 years I hope to have it back on the road HA!
You are smart. To replacing the fuel lines, to removing the rust, you are smart.

Be patient with Ollies. Who else you going to send the stuff to? I am sure you have a lot more things to work on while waiting.

Get it done.

My first serious restoration was a '64 Land Rover 109 Wagon I still have. I thought it would take me a summer. It took me seven straight months of doing nothing but that car to finish it. And that was without paint. It was stripped to frame and sandblasted, etc. Will I do that with the 911? No. Getting it safe like you, fuel lines, etc and driving it.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: