Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Converting a 1977 cabriolet back to its original Targa

Hi. I'm UK based and looking at buying and shipping to UK a rust free/mechanically solid US California LHD 1977 Carrera which was in the past converted to a Cabriolet from being a Targa. I'd like to understand how difficult/costly (possible?) it would be to reconvert back to its original Targa. The guy selling it has the original Targa glass and roll bar but no roof/seals etc. Are the spares readily available? Many thanks. Much appreciated. Richard
Old 06-12-2018, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Here's someone who did it

Cab back to Targa! Project "BugBug" goes back to where he once belonged
Old 06-12-2018, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Many thanks for this
Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
Targa parts will cost ~5000 with a decent roof.
Seals, screws, bright work, targa bar cover, can be bought new here.
Interior bar cover, ligthts and wiring get used.

Targa hoop. This is the difficult piece,
How are you going to fasten it without a jig or another targa sitting next to it bare to the hoop? Every measurement has to be precise or your $2000 used roof will blow off or not fit.
Think of the fitment: height, angle, front to back, cross body, this is not a task for the faint of heart. I weld a bit but this requires a Pro.
All told this will cost $10000 and if not done exactly correct it will be a frankenstein that will rattle and leak like a sieve.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Think twice..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdr View Post
Hi. I'm UK based and looking at buying and shipping to UK a rust free/mechanically solid US California LHD 1977 Carrera which was in the past converted to a Cabriolet from being a Targa. I'd like to understand how difficult/costly (possible?) it would be to reconvert back to its original Targa. The guy selling it has the original Targa glass and roll bar but no roof/seals etc. Are the spares readily available? Many thanks. Much appreciated. Richard

Richard,

Unless you bought this car very cheap, I would advise you to seriously consider your decision to buy this project car. I always wanted to own a cabriolet and thought about getting my pristine ‘78 Targa converted to cabriolet. So I bought all the needed parts including the cabriolet top frame, canvass top, body panels with the mounting hinges, etc. At the very last minute before starting the conversion, it was brought to my attention that converting a nice and pristine Targa was a bad choice.

I was ready to do the cutting and chopping the chassis for the cabriolet conversion when common wisdom prevailed and aborted the project. In your case, the mounting area for the Targa overhead bar was removed in place of the hinge body panel. And installing the rear Targa glass, bar and top to make a good fitment is not that simple.

Instead of spending $7K~$9K for my cabriolet conversion, I bought a red ‘89 cabriolet in excellent condition for $15K 4 years ago. This is not a typo. If you think you are saving by buying this car, think twice.

Tony
Old 06-12-2018, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47silver View Post
Targa parts will cost ~5000 with a decent roof.
Seals, screws, bright work, targa bar cover, can be bought new here.
Interior bar cover, ligthts and wiring get used.

Targa hoop. This is the difficult piece,
How are you going to fasten it without a jig or another targa sitting next to it bare to the hoop? Every measurement has to be precise or your $2000 used roof will blow off or not fit.
Think of the fitment: height, angle, front to back, cross body, this is not a task for the faint of heart. I weld a bit but this requires a Pro.
All told this will cost $10000 and if not done exactly correct it will be a frankenstein that will rattle and leak like a sieve.
It can be done....
I actually bought the bar for $350(?) with outer cover and inner trim.. The substructure will be there, just cut out the cab mounts. My thread is the one above. Honestly, with all the measurements that the Pelicans gave me, it really wasn't that tough. Id do it again.
I agree that if hacked together it would be a real ****box, but the car was a Targa, and with a top, the bar and the rear glass.. You are in business if you are patient and careful.
Mine is a Targa again, and is sweet
Don't be scared! If you do bugger it up, it can always be a cab again. Nothing you do will make that irreversible.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow..lots of valuable feedback/advice for me to consider. Thank you so much guys. I really do appreciate this. Richard
Old 06-13-2018, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
speed metal

I read that post.

nice job, i stand corrected it can be done.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47silver View Post
I read that post.

nice job, i stand corrected it can be done.
Thanks! I appreciate it
Old 06-13-2018, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: