Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Gas Huffer

Garage
729/1 Marine Engine Block

Im new to the site but just found that my engine block is coded with 729/1 which means it was for a marine application. I can find much information on this at all on here, but wondered if these blocks are desirable?

Also I may be reading it wrong but I have no VIN under the generator, only some numbers right below the fan shroud on the two halves on the block. the right side has digits 729/1.

Also I noticed I have no hole / port on the passenger side head for my oil breather. does this also indicate it could be a marine engine? or just new/ old heads?

Any info would be very helpful.

TIA
m.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hello Mike

That is a great question and sorry it took so long to reply back to yeah. I knew I had some photos of a marine engine (616 type) somewhere on my computer. I had it stashed in a file called industrial engine.

I took these pictures over a year ago up in Seattle at Denny Akers Bull Session. I could be wrong but I think I was taken there by djdsc ;-)

Well if not him then it was a great friend of mine with a sweet 68 912.

That was a great day.

Mike, can you take a few photos of the engine and post? Is it currently being used in a car? The passenger side vent hole on the head is standard for the car engines. To save money, they only vented to one side closest to the oil fill.

Gregg

Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Gas Huffer

Garage
Thanks itsofishel! I am new to the Porsche world as I just got the car a few weeks ago. I am waiting on a manual from a fellow PParts member. I know a bit about the engine and such because I once owned a 60's fiberglass Buggy (VW). Now its a just a learnin experience. As far as the go goes, I got it shipped from CA to IL. I was told it was bought back in Jan or so from Las Vegas where it had been sitting for 15 years or more. Before that the guy bought it at an auction i think?

Anyways heres a few pics of the engine bay.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: