Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Timing using RSR 0012

I'll post here as well...

I have not had issues with setting the timing on this car in the past but for some reason I think I screwed up this time...

The car was running well but I wanted to upgrade the distributor. I just installed a new Bosch/Benton RSR0012 with PerTronix and thought that I had the old distributor set at #1 before I pulled it. Now I idle fine but feels like it is out of timing. Backfire and no git-up-and-go.

For those not aware, the RSR0012 is a high performance, custom built by distributor Benton Performance specifically designed for the 912.

I have done a lot of reading in other postes about similar issues and just want to make sure of the troubleshooting before I start:

1. Rotate crank to determine TDC
a. Pull #1 spark plug, place finger over hole and turn crank by hand to feel the pressure against finger; this is the compression stroke.
b. Place a wooden dowl in spark plug hole and turn crank until dowl does not move up and down; top of stroke. Put spark plug back in.
c. To double check, you can pull valve cover and make sure #1 valves (both) are closed.
2. Make sure that the TDC mark on crank pulley is lined up with the case split mark on the case.
3. Pull dizzy cap
4. Rotor is lined up with the mark or notch on distributor rim.
A. If not, rotate the dizzy so the rotor is pointing at the notch. (this may or may not make a difference?)
5. Place cap back on and make sure #1 wire is inserted where the rotor is pointing and is going to #1 cylinder.
6. Fire it up! Set timing to 30* - 32* at 3000 rpm's.

It should be perfect now, right? Did I miss anything?

As always, thanks for the input,

'68 912 RS Race Car Wanna Be
'73 VW Super Bug 2.0L (sold)
'06 Chevy Avalanche PSV (Porsche Support Vehicle)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are the plug wire positions install correctly at both the plugs and distributor cap?

'68 912 Coupe
'82 SC sunroof
Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I am having a very similar problem with mine. I did a basic tuneup and all hell broke loose.Now it backfires and runs like crap. Tried to put everything back like it was and no luck. Cleaned the carbs changed the points to pertronix. Next is the cap rotor and plug wires. If that don't fix it engines coming out. If cap and rotor and wires fix it I will let you know. Let use know what you find.
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Try putting the original distributor back in and see if your problem is gone. If the problem is gone. Then sent the Distributor back to Benton and have him check it out. If the problem is still there then you still have the distributor out, maybe 180 degrees or the plugs wires wrong. counter-clock-wise 1-4-3-2

Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
+1
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights.
Garage
Hey Guys,

I am considering replacing my old vacuum advance distributor at the same time a swap out my worked up Solex for Webers. I was considering one of the new RSR0012's from Benton. Should I wait since it seems there is an issue going on?

Jerry1, what else did you do on your "tune-up"? I find it strange that a couple of members are now having similar timing issues with the RSR0012.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Bugstrider

Let me start from the beginning to give you a background on my problem and what I was able to work out. Originally I was having trouble with my carburetors seeping fuel out of the accelerator pump housing. So Walt traded me a set of of solex's with the split shaft conversion to solid shaft. At first they seem to be OK but they popped occasionally. Then I left the key on over night an ran down the battery and fried my points. So what a great time to upgrade to a pentronic electronic ignition. Didn't run right so bought a new coil no that didn't help. I was just throwing parts at it not really knowing what was wrong. I did a compression ck to make sure I hadn't have a bad ring or valve problem. I figured the popping was probably carbs. But no matter what I tried they would not tone. So I bought a 02 sensor and gauge I was running so lean I am surprised I didn't fry my engine. The main jet when I started was a 125 I now have a 135 main. Start with a 57 Idle jet I have 60 and could probably go bigger. It should be required to put an 02 sensor and gauge on every engine. The best 200.00 I have ever spent. PLX devices is what I am using here is a link Wideband Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Module - PLX Devices Inc - USA. Now that I am not starving the engine for gas she runs great.

I hope this helps.
Jerry
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Bugstrider,
If your car is running well, I would swap out the dizzy first and make sure things are good. Then do the carb swap. That way you will only be troubleshooting running issues with individual items. FWIW, I swapped from a 009 to the RSR unit had have had no problems.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights.
Garage
Thank you Jerry1 and JT912 for the information.

Jerry,

I checked out the site on the O2 Sensor, so you have a pic of where and how you have yours mounted?

Last edited by bugstrider; 07-02-2012 at 10:58 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Bugstrider

I have this picture I took before I took my car to the painter. It shows the 02 senser on the exhaust.

02 Tundra 4x4
Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: