Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

OK - Albert, Two more
1 - Do you have a fuel filter? Is it the cheapo 59 clear one or the square gray Bosch one? IF the fuel line in the engine compartment has a fuel filter - where is it located? On the low pressure side [between the frame rail and fuel pump] or on the high pressure side [between the fuel pump and left side carb]? Fuel filters work better and better as time goes on - they continue to filter until they dont even let gas through.

2 - Jump in fix #342 - If there isnt a fuel filter on the low pressure side of fuel pump disconnect fuel line at fuel pump. Get an assistant. Open fuel filler cap on fender and remove fuel cap. Now have your assistant blow hard [all the fuel in the line has to go back to the tank] and you put your ear to the filler neck. Hear bubbles? Fuel line not clogged.

Replace everything and try to start car. If its fixed - hooray. If not - go back to the top of the decision tree. Once you have done that - there is a horde of other things to check - but I have to assured you have a good motor to begin with.

Onward
DOUG
Old 06-18-2012, 11:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

SUCCESS!!!! No more choking!!! :D

Guys,

I installed a Pertronix and it did it!! No more choking!!

Pretty crazy coincidence the points started to give me trouble at the same time I ran out of gas!

The car runs fine now, but it sounds more like a VW..

I mean the sound is not the "round" Porsche rumble but a dryer more combustive/explosive one; and maybe I felt little less horses too.

I believe I have to adjust the timing by rotating the whole distributor now..(left or right)

Anyway, thank you again to all of you for your time and your precious suggestions!

Albert
Old 08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Hi Albert,

Good to read it runs again. Such coincidence can make one crazy. And now the fine tuning. If the car has less power than before, adjust the ignition at 32 degrees advance at 3000 rpm. That might help.

I hope your enthousiasm for the 912 is back. Enjoy it!

Otto
Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Doc Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxman View Post
Guys,

I installed a Pertronix and it did it!! No more choking!!
our time and your precious suggestions!

Albert
Years ago I had trouble with the condenser in a brand new 050. Just like your rig, it started and idled fine but open the throttle and it gagged. I cobbled a used condenser from my travel spares 022 and no more troubles. I have since abandoned those danged things and have run a Pertronix for years now because I tired of messing with points. With the pertronix, Ol' Blue ('67 912) car became trouble-free and lots more fun.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: