Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1968 912 seat-back tilting mechanism

I am new to vintage Porsches, so itís a steep learning curve.

My 1968 912 failed it's British MOT (roadworthy) test because one of the seat's back-tilting mechanisms is missing. The passenger side is fine and tilts and locks but the drivers side doesn't have the locking bar and levers. So I swapped the seats over and removed the passenger seat to get it certified but it then dawned on me that maybe it never had the tilt/lock mechanisms on both seats when manufactured in 68. Does anyone know if that's the case?

If when manufactured, both seats did have the tilt/locking mechanism, then I need to source the parts asap from somewhere. Can anyone please help with that? I'd probably like to do this anyway to make the car as safe as possible whilst retaining it's period look.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, They both reclined.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for clarifying. Aaaarrrggghh, now I've got to source the mechanism somewhere. Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Oranjie
Keep an eye on The Samba. If you know exactly which parts you need, there are a few sources there. Not cheap and then there are the shipping charges. Occasionally there are guys from GB who post their parts.
Good luck.
Bill
TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds
Old 02-20-2017, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If worst comes to worst, you can always replace the seats.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Somewhere there is a thread about the locking portion of the seat. I think I recall there being a time one side did not have the locking mechanism. They both had the tilt though.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

1964-1967 seats had a lock mechanism on the passenger side only.
They maybe figured since you were in the driver's seat with your feet mashing the brake pedal and arms locked in a panic stop position it would hold you in place.
Somewhere along the line they transitioned to having both seats lock, maybe around the same time the rubber backed knobs and two piece dashboards came out due to the safety concerns / mandates of the Feds.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Peter
You're right. After reading JT's post I started to remember the driver's side not having the locking function. Here's an old post by Jim Breazeale (who definitely knows his stuff) from a 356 board on the subject:
"A bit of history...................
Porsche provided seat back locks on both seats when they started producing T6s in late 61 (1962 year model cars).
At the same time, they installed a spring loaded "breakaway" inside rear view mirror. Those 2 safety improvements were touted by Porsche in their advertising for the 62 year model cars. For some reason, known only to Porsche, they deleted both of those features early in 1963. Those 2 features reappeared in 1968."
Bill
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The US spec cars had a locking drivers seat from mid 65. Until 12/31/67 when they change to the later 68 spec cars seats. From mid 65 until 12/31/67 the RHD cars did not have a drivers locking seat.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Jaems:
Is your info from Johnson's book? The earlier (pre-68) owner's manual includes instructions on how to release the passenger seat backrest from the locked position. This refers specifically to the passenger seat (with photo) and makes no mention of the driver's seat. I'd have to believe that if both seatbacks locked, Porsche would have merely referred to the front seats as a pair.
Bill
Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Current thread on the ESR.
Who Can Identify the Year of These Seats?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My original 66 912 drivers manual has the same as the 68 drivers manual. On how to release the back seat part of the seat to tilt forward. Yes, even the 66 912 had the seat back locking for the drivers seat. It was a DOT safety thing back in the mid 60's. Nader back then was pushing for all kinds of safety equipment. For those of us that live and drove back then.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
912 , locking mechanism , seat , tilt