Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Reviving a stored 914

I am picking up a 914 this weekend that has been in storage for the past seven years. When the car was stored the owner fogged it (not sure what that is), overfilled the engine with new oil, and drained the gas. By reading past post I have determined that I need to at least change the oil and gas prior to starting it up. Is there anything else that I should do? I want to try and minimize any problems that may come up from the long storage.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Another battery is a good idea, as well as a set of points and plugs.

Also, replace the enigine's fuel lines soon after you get it home.

Sometimes critters will build a nest on top of the motor under the sheetmetal. Kind of hard to tell w/o taking the motor out.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Well, if its a FI model you will need to change the fuel lines cuz they will leak and could cause a fire. Use only the Porsche FI hose for high pressure FI not the crap you get at the FLAPS.
Bleed the brakes before driving it.
Change the spark plugs
Change the fuel filter
New battery
Change the oil and filter
With the plugs out crank the motor until you have oil pressure and any oil in the combustion chamber is forced out.
Add plugs and start
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I would recommend changing the brake fluid, not just bleeding it.

You can try a small squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil or your favorite penetrating oil into the spark plug holes, then hand-crank the motor a few times to spread it around. It'll smoke when you finally start it, but hopefully that will keep the cylinder walls happy.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-06-2003, 06:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Potter
All I can say is, I wish I had your problems.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!! No doubt your blood pumper is going to get a workout this weekend! Be sure to share the story with us.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've done this recently myself. Definitely replace the fuel hose. I had some geysers spraying out of my engine compartment due to cracked hose. I also pulled the injectors and cleaned them with some carb cleaner. I'd also squirt some WD-40 down the throttle while doing a few quick cranks to lube things up a bit.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-07-2003, 09:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

My 914 had sat for 12 years, I could not get it to run so I had it towed to a shop that worked on my GTI (I had not established a Porsche shop yet). They filled up the cylinders with some substance and it sat over night, I guess the valves can stick so this was to eleviate that. Car started but the Webers were clogged so it ran very poorly. Webers were rebuilt and new cap,points and plugs were installed. It started and the rest is history. Much time and money later I am still driving daily and absolutley love this car. My dad bought it new in 76 and since my dad has passed it's kind of a bridge to his spirit. I wish you luck.
Neal
Old 03-07-2003, 09:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If he drained the fuel I would take a good look inside the tank for a build up of rust..... While draining the fuel pervents varnishing
in the fuel system it also breeds rust in the tank. If you have lots of rust this will give you driveability problems, you may have to pull the tank and have it resealed.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ride the Wild Surf

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
You will have rust in the tank,remove the tank and clean it out. Replace the fuel lines and I always put a magnet on the outside of the tank down at the bottom. This catches all the loose rust that will come off as you start driving the car. Speaking of fuel lines, it would be prutent idea to replace them all.
Steve
Old 03-07-2003, 05:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice but I ended up walking away from the car. It was not the rust free car that I was told it was. After driving five hours the first thing I looked at was the battery area and there were a couple big holes staring at me. The seller claimed he didn't know there was rust there. This is the second time I have driven fairly long distances for a 914 that was "rust free" and both times there was significant rust in plain view. I understand that there is no such thing as a rust free 914 but why can't these sellers be honest?
Old 03-08-2003, 02:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: