Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/)
-   -   Letís start tracking 914-6 conversion values. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/1018162-let-s-start-tracking-914-6-conversion-values.html)

Matt Monson 01-15-2019 06:26 AM

Letís start tracking 914-6 conversion values.

Hereís one ending today. Think it will break $30k?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-23/

stevesc_us 01-15-2019 08:57 AM

I have my doubts it will break $30k. Not because it's a bad car necessarily, but more because there are no undercarriage shots or full shots of the engine bay. Without more detailed photos to substantiate its condition, I think its hard to generate stronger bidding. BAT is a bit of a wild card, however, so you just never know how it might run up at the last minutes of bidding.

nathanbs 01-15-2019 09:07 AM

The only custom porsches that are currently bringing good money are RS wannabes. 914s can be picked up for $5-10k drop a $10-12k motor off of pelican and where does that get you? I would value a bone stock all original 2.0L 4 cyl over this one. Its only a 914/6 if its an original 914/6 in my eyes. What I would like to see is how much would a balls to the walls quality 914/6 GT build bring? Even then I think it will struggle in the same way custom short hoods still haven't reached any high numbers.

nathanbs 01-15-2019 09:08 AM

why was this thread moved?

Matt Monson 01-15-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanbs (Post 10317552)
why was this thread moved?

Iím not sure whatís going on to be honest. I accidentally put it in cars for sale. I asked it be moved to Marketplace. Now itís here...

Matt Monson 01-15-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanbs (Post 10317549)
The only custom porsches that are currently bringing good money are RS wannabes. 914s can be picked up for $5-10k drop a $10-12k motor off of pelican and where does that get you? I would value a bone stock all original 2.0L 4 cyl over this one. Its only a 914/6 if its an original 914/6 in my eyes. What I would like to see is how much would a balls to the walls quality 914/6 GT build bring? Even then I think it will struggle in the same way custom short hoods still haven't reached any high numbers.

I agree with your analysis of it. Nice original 73-74 2.0s are mostly worth more than many /6 conversions. However, it really is a case by case thing. Some were done a long time ago to a low standard. Others are being done now to the same sort of standard as Flyin Hawaiian's 911 stuff. Look at what PMB and Patrick are building for examples.

It's mostly a curiousity thing for me. I've decided to make a /6 out of my bumble bee. I'm probably devaluing it in the short term. I don't really care because I've always wanted a /6 and real ones are now out of my reach financially. I'm not buying any $50k+ car in the near future.

Jim2 01-15-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanbs (Post 10317549)

Perhaps some oversight thinking this is a simple conversion.
Custom front engine mount
Custom oil lines, thermostat placement, and a big one, the oil tank. Lines to front cooler etc
Some varient of 914-6 exhaust is needed
and probably a host of other stuff I'm overlooking. These conversion parts are not readily available at economic prices like those needed to do a 912 to 911 conversion.

This particular BAT car was good for the buyer.

Coloradocurt 01-15-2019 12:50 PM

All sorts of variables. A couple of years ago one of the guys on 914World built an out-of-this-world, show-quality '74 914-6 conversion, and did it the right way. The built was chronicled in (IIRC) 18 issues of Excellence Magazine. Stripped it down to the bare chassis, addressed the rust and chassis reinforcement issues, and then when from there. He ended up with a 3.6L engine and custom-built his 915 tranny. His out-of-pocket cost (net of the 911SC donor car) was on the order of $50K, and he ended up giving it away for $60K due to health issues! I would have easily paid that.

roblav 01-15-2019 12:54 PM

Concur that buyer got the car at probably a good price. I built a conversion car with a 993 engine in it. $10K for that low mileage 993 engine with ECU seemed outrageous at the time, but a good price today. It would have cost that to build up a 930 or .7R case anyway. I did a bare metal rotisserie thing on it and Tig'd all kinds of steel on it in the usual weak points. Epoxy prime and PPG paint were not cheap. Bottom line is getting money back on a 914/6 conversion is not easy. It has to be a labor of love. I sold that car before completing it and wish I had it back.
Conversions are not as easy as you think. And another problem with a conversion is that you find all sorts of additional stuff you want to do. Takes more time and additional money. It's very easy to end up under water.

stevesc_us 01-15-2019 02:40 PM

Here's one now that a potential owner is considering selling. He is just asking for input on potential value at this point, but this particular car is IMHO done to a very high standard.

914World.com - The largest online 914 community!

mepstein 01-15-2019 05:56 PM

914-6 conversions don't bring nearly the money of a hot rodded 911 but they are fun and any 914 on the road is uncommon enough to turn heads. It does require quite a few custom parts that are not sold often or cheap and a good amount of 911 parts if you want to do it right.

Bulldozer27 01-15-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesc_us (Post 10317956)
Here's one now that a potential owner is considering selling. He is just asking for input on potential value at this point, but this particular car is IMHO done to a very high standard.

[url=http:/![/www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335596]914World.com - The largest online 914 community/url]

In fairness to the seller of this car, it was originally a genuine 914/6 that was subsequently upgraded with a '95 993 3.6 engine. This one probably isn't releavnt to the topic of 914/4 to 6 conversions, which I'm guessing this topic is about.

dwelle 01-15-2019 09:16 PM

i wish this hadn't been moved. i, too, am curious about the market for the /6 conversions as i have no clue what mine is worth as there are no comps for it.

GT look with a 3.6 and all the goodies. i currently have no desire to sell it, but i am about to drop the motor for a reseal and tidy up a few things while i'm there. how slippery the slope i'm willing to endure is realistically driven by the value of the car as i'm not likely to own this one forever.

this should be in marketplace. matt, maybe start another thread there?...

racer 01-16-2019 07:20 AM

Some ramblings:

911 fan base has always been very vocal, especially with their wallets.
914 fan base has always been very vocal, but NOT with their wallets.

Building an RS clone allows someone to feel like they have a $250-500K car for a fraction of the money.

Building a stock -6 clone, does not bring the same cache.

Very few folks build a true 6 clone.. cause we all know a 110hp 914 still isn't very exciting.

The -6 conversion crowd was built up because at the time, it was cheaper than simply buying a 911. That same dynamic still holds. a -6 clone.. built 6.. modded 4.. will always be less than a 911. And now that values have skyrocketed for 914s, there is still a general heirarchy.

original stock 6 at the top. Rusted out 1.7 at the bottom.

A -6 conversion is valued in its execution. Color, Motor choice and Suspension, Brakes. Then trans. Engine cooling. Clutch/Trans upgrade. Interior. The conversion market is the more emotional market.

"I've always wanted a 2.7-3.0l 914".. or "I want a 3.6 even though they melt 901 clutches". I don't know that the market still appreciates a 2.2 or 2.4 conversion given the relatively modest HP boost. Again, condition, color etc can mix it up.

A -6 conversion designed to mimic a GT is like a 911 made into an RS clone. At least it has a "real" counterpart one might compare to. Everything else? well, comes down to buyer and seller.

Coondog 01-16-2019 08:27 AM

Let me know when a 6 conversion brings six figures because that’s what I have in my flared PMS 914.

GregAmy 01-16-2019 09:46 AM

That yellow car on BAT was a killer buy. I know the car (it's currently at Tangerine), I bid on it, but got stuck in meetings when it ended and got pipped. Guy paid $21,164 (+5% and shipping) for a solid car with a clean 2.4 CIS conversion (looks factory). 914-6 oil tank, proper 5-bolt conversion, Ferrari 308 rear brakes, very sano build.

It's pretty much how I'd do it, narrow body, 2.4L, 5-bolt conversion. About the only thing "wrong" on it is there's a bit of a hack where they clearanced the rear firewall (toward the trunk) to clear the CIS distributor (easily repaired), and it needs paint. Interior is standard "blah" but in good shape.

I'm quite disappointed that I missed out on it.

I think my mostly-restored street '74 2L is worth around $15k, so there's ZERO way I could replicate the yellow car for that price (hell, just buying the engine...) Even if my street car were bought for $10k I couldn't do it.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...sigh...

larrym 01-19-2019 12:10 PM

914-6 conversion values

a dedicated thread to this is a good idea; did you also start one on World?

it also would help the wannabees who are dreamin' about that $500 shell in the uncle's backyard who are planning a credit-card build

agree with racer - CSOB's still rule in our 914 scene

- i've been tracking 'em for some yrs & could probably post a bunch of links, etc - (on some cold rainy week when i'm stuck inside & bored....)

fwiw i've often suggested that the value of a conversion = the eBay(or similar) used value of the parts separately - labor is irrelevant & mostly not valued -

- have not yet seen many sales yet to change this opinion given the run-up in 911 used engines & parts values - that $21K sale is about there

- 'cuz the 911 resurrection & modding guys will still pay more for an item than will a 914 guy

- we can still get a decent driver project 911 for the money it takes to get a 914-6 conversion on the road

- just sayin ;)

mb911 02-01-2019 03:45 PM

I can tell you that there is a changing market. Take for example that when I sold my 914-6 conversion 18 years ago I sold it for 11k .. The car recently sold on BAT for 29k with very little changed since I owned it. The other thing to note is that the aftermarket part for these conversions is growing. Since I have started making heat exchangers for the 914-6 we have delivered about 100 sets and the same with engine sheetmetal.. These parts are not cheap but rather more expensive then similar parts in the 911 world..

I personally think the former 911 ownership has migrated to 914s because of the cost of entry and still maintaining that 911 sound but even better handling.

I think we have 4-5 years before 914s in general almost are priced out of the average owners grasp. I also note that every single week I ship 914-6 parts out mostly for conversions and finally we can look at these cars as investments..

Jack Stands 03-18-2019 01:01 PM

I’d say that a properly done conversion is probably the most fun/$ you can have. You really have to be able to do the work yourself to make it a financially viable for most. I just sold mine for the parts cost, with all my years of labor given gratis. Still, I’ll always remember the joy that car gave me.

Jim2 03-18-2019 01:31 PM

I don't think this one got captured here

$37K
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-914-6-4/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1552944626.jpg