Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question how to set carb float level correctly?

Hi Everyone

Well, armed with rebuild kits, new linkage parts, gaskets, a new fuel pump and lots of printouts from searches done on this forum, I am ready to rebuild my Weber 40 IDF's this weekend (to be reinstalled on a '73 2 liter).

One thing I cant find is the correct procedure to set the floats to the right level. How and against what do I take the measurement?

On a related subject, how long is too long to soak the carb bodies in carb cleaner (gumout brand in case it matters). Any better ideas to get them clean?

Thanks as always

Curt
central coast, Ca
Old 03-13-2003, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Using the sideways-view pic below, you want to set the fully opened and full closed measurements, with the gasket in place, letting gravity swing the float in both directions.

It'll be touchy, but you have to use some needle-nosed pliers to "adjust" the tabs for the proper settings. There can't be any binding of the float or pin valve, otherwise you'll be dealing with flooding or starvation problems.

Old 03-13-2003, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

An hour or two should be plenty of time to soak the carbs. Make sure that ALL passages get blown out with air well, watch your eyes. If you autocross or race or drive "spirited" Weber recommends setting the upper limit to 12mm instead of 10 so there will not be as much fuel slop over during cornering. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: