Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Information and Input on 914 Opportunity

Recently met the long time owner of a metallic brown 1974 2.0 who’s considering selling me the car. I’m interested in information and opinions on what the owner claims is a unique special order original color car with black interior. I can’t say I’ve ever seen this color on a 914.

Last edited by Apexster; 04-05-2019 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: pictures
Old 02-04-2019, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The color code on the "Karmann Plate" on the driver's door jamb would say "98" or "L98" for a special-order paint car. I know of several Sepia Brown 914s, mostly 73 models, which look somewhat like that photo. (Not a good photo, BTW.) I am not aware of any metallic brown 914s; Sepia Brown was a 911 color in that era.

A Certificate of Authenticity should provide more authoritative info about what the original paint color was. (Note that the CoA is not fool-proof, but it's usually pretty good for colors and such.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dave. The color code is L98 but the color in the photo looks much darker than Sepia brown to me. Itís a photo from twenty five years ago in the Sierra snow but otherwise a dry San Diego two owner stock Ď74 2.0 with the appearance group.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's notoriously hard to judge exact tones of color from an on-line photo, especially one that was scanned from a printed image. At this point, it could be just about anything.

A CoA would likely provide some insight into what the original paint was, though as I said they aren't always perfect.

Whatever color it is, the L98 cars are somewhat rare. Might be worth a bit more $$ to the right people, but probably worth less to someone who doesn't like brown cars.

--DD

Old 02-05-2019, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Might be a shade of brown they were spraying on VW bug convertible or K Ghia at that factory, there was a metallic brown that was about that color, or maybe a 911 color as a special order.

Kinky Friedman
Old 02-05-2019, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

We will know soon enough as I ordered the CoA.
Thanks for the insights.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There was a metallic copper that was standard I think in 74
Old 02-25-2019, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
That was in 75. And it was very much not brown.

--DD

Old 02-26-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
That was in 75. And it was very much not brown.

--DD
TomAto / Tomato
Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hey, Alaska Blue Metallic was standard in 1970!

Except it wasn't 1970, and it isn't brown.

--DD

Old 02-26-2019, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If you are colorblind
Old 03-28-2019, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
914 colors bottom of the page

Custom color code. I think I saw an aubergine with that number on the tag, with is really lovely, dark purple, like an eggplant, which makes sense if you speak French. Maybe sepia brown

Kinky Friedman
Old 03-29-2019, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I received the COA for the '74 2.0 as well as found more clues on the car itself. I'm no expert on 70's Porsche colors so I'm looking for input on what the correct original color of this 914 was.

Last edited by Apexster; 04-05-2019 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: correction to details provided
Old 04-01-2019, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Yup, looks a lot like Sepia Brown to me.

But remember, "Paint to Sample" can be just about anything...

--DD

Old 04-02-2019, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Works for me.

Last edited by Apexster; 04-05-2019 at 07:12 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hi All
How did you get a COA? I went to the Porsche web site and read they no longer provide these.??
Old 04-15-2019, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

They changed the title of the document to Porsche Production Specifications.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Looks like they have changed things to a much more detailed (and probably expensive!) service.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/technicalcertificate/

--DD

Old 05-14-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: