Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Rust Converter Paint

What is the general view of primer paint that bills itself as a rust converter? Many manufacturers say that they bond with the rust to encapsulate it, etc. blah blah blah

I have some relatively minor surface rust on the floor of the cockpit. I don't really want to have to strip down the car to sandblast it......or get the grinder out.......or anything else that is gunna make dust and rust spew everywhere. It is tempting to get in there with a can of this spraypaint and just hit it with that (after a good wire brushin of cours).

I'm dreaming, aren't I??? Any other suggestions?
Old 03-14-2003, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Try Phospho or one of the liquid rust converters first. Then go ahead and use your rust converter paint. The POR 15 system works real well. I think it's all pretty much the same deal except the actual POR 15 paint. Now that suff gets hard. I used Hammerite Smooth at no small expense through out my interior and the rust is already starting where I didn't put the POR 15.

Edit: Ospho. That's right. I was trying to say phosphoric acid and Ospho all at once. Hah!

Last edited by Zeke; 03-14-2003 at 07:51 PM..
Old 03-14-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Zeke....I was glad you did not tell me that I am out of my mind. And if POR 15 is that much better than Hammerite, it must be AMAZING. I coated the snowplow on my truck with Hammerite...right over all the rust. This past winter didn't affect it one bit, even with all the plowing and salt. So POR 15 must be the elixer of the Gods!

I have looked for it at a couple of my FLAPS but have not seen it. Is it only available from the company direct? Any suggestions of where I might get it? (am hoping to hit it TOMORROW)
Old 03-14-2003, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

POR15store.com is where I get mine. Reasonably priced too.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Potter,
why not just use the hammerite if it has proven itself? I wasnt to know too, as I will likely be using Ospho.
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 03-14-2003, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've got some of the Hammerite. Will that work on lightly rusted metal in lieu of the Por 15? What liquid rust converter should be used, or is it not necessary with the Hammerite?
Old 03-15-2003, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Never left, but not right

Steve, I would try to eradicate any rust before using any paint. Just go to the house paint store and get the stuff painters use on gutters and handrails and the like. Phosphoric acid. I think $5-6 for a spray quart bottle. BTW, where did you get your Hammerite?
Old 03-15-2003, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Frazee on Willow. I'll look for the phospho. Can you believe this rain? I actually am bbq/smoking some chicken (bonehead!) and trying to keep the rain from out of my patio doors. It's coming in from pounding so hard on the concrete. What a day. Nothing is going quite right...

Edit: Ospho like you edited.

Last edited by woodman; 03-15-2003 at 03:06 PM..
Old 03-15-2003, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I don't know how it is out there, but here in Ohio Hammerite is hard to come by. People can't look at a $7 can of Hammerite paint sitting next to a $1.99 can of generic paint and reach for the expensive one. Oh if they only knew. I have a large squirrel feeder stuffed with corn that I painted with it. Those little bas&#rds are on the thing day and night...sometimes six at a time.........and it looks as good today as it did a year ago. And remember, we get snow, hail, ice, rain, baking sun, and papermill pollution constantly.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I think I failed to make my core point there......which was:

Nobody will buy the Hammerite, so the stores don't stock it. Thus, it is hard to find.

I ramble.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

a product called "Mar-hyde" has worked great for me, turns the rusted area black. auto body/paint stores in my area stock it. paints on with those cheap foam brushes or for those hard to reach spots you can put it in a little plastic spray bottle. when spraying i have shot the stuff through a 3M green pad to keep it from running. with Mar-hyde you do not have to sand the whole area prior to application, degrease and remove loose suface scale then apply. after it cures you can then sand and put on your finnish.

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 03-16-2003 at 04:56 AM..
Old 03-16-2003, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

"Picklex 20" is also very good stuff from what the Autobody Forums say. Especially if your doing rust repair, you can strike an arc & weld over it with no problem. Plus it makes Powder Coating a 1 step proccess for preping. I Just order some to try out.

Ralph

74 2.0
Old 03-16-2003, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

$7?

Hammerite 38/gal. not too bad. I did pick up some Jasco Phosphoric acid at Home Defect for 6.99/quart. they had two left so i took em.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
hammerite's always in stock around here and I think its more like $5 here for a spray can.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 03-16-2003, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

You can get hammerite at Home depot in my hood. Im not sure of the price, but Im sure it is around $5-6. I gotta do somthing with my center tunnel, so I will be doing some field research on this soon.
-74 BMW R90
Old 03-16-2003, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Help me out here guys, I'm new to this rust thing. Can you use this Hammerite and others for say.... the area below the battery tray? Does it arrest the rust and strengthen the area up? Or should the rust be removed and then apply this stuff?
'78 928 w/ 13K miles (5 speed)
'75 914 2.0
Old 03-18-2003, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Remove the rust. Hammerite and POR-15 will not stop rust, they will prevent it from getting started. A "rust converter" like Ospho, POR's "metal ready", Naval Jelly, or other similar product (those all contain phosphoric acid as an active ingredient) should be used to actually stop the rust before painting. And before that, you'll need to get the scale and the worst of the nastiness removed--usually with a wire brush.

Then you paint with POR-15 or Corroless or Hammerite or some other tough epoxy paint.

And then you throw your battery into the trash and buy yourself an Optima, so you never have to worrry about more acid getting onto your suspension console again! And every time you catch a glimpse of the bill for the optima, you shudder and repeat "It's good for the car--it's good for the car. It's cheaper than rust repair."

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-18-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

For what its worth, I used Waxoyll which is popular in England on classic cars, it basically covers what ever it touches in wax and also claims also sorts of anti rust properties, its more expensive here than other products though you can also get underseal which is a damn site easier to apply with wayoyll already added
Old 03-19-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
What you really want to buy is Hammerite Smooth finish It is made by rustoulem any store that sell rustouelm paint can get it. In So Cal I use Oak Dist. in Fontana Call them and ask for the Store closest to ypu that they deliver to then ring the store up and order.
You can make Waxoll
at Home Just take bars of canning wax and dissolve them in Acetone. Steve

Last edited by SteveStromberg; 03-19-2003 at 07:20 PM..
Old 03-19-2003, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Steve, you don't happen to lead a militia do you?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: