Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Front camber help

on my eight year project the only thing left is the aliment got the rear set (good enought to get to a shop) went to the front and can not get any camber (0 deg.) wheel is straight up and down and that is the most I can get all ball joints, rod ends, berrings, shocks everything but the strut and the a arm is new
I would like 1.5 or more deg. when done. Had no trouble with toe in got it set at 5/32 just cant met any camber, the strut top is all the way to the inside of the car

any help would be great
thank you
Dale
Old 03-18-2003, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Is the car waaaaaay up in the air? Raising the car gives you more positive camber, lowering it gives you more negative camber.

If your car is at a fairly normal ride height and you still can't get better than 0 camber, something is wrong. Most likely something is bent--maybe the strut, maybe the chassis... I don't think a bent A-arm would do that.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-18-2003, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is it posible to straighten (bend) the strut. After further inspection last night it looks like the best place to add positive camber would be at the spindel. I have a little over 3/4" between the wheel and the strut at the top
the car is fairly low
the chassie is not perfetcly straight but I dont think it is that far off or that it would be off uniformly(both sides the same)
thank you
Dale
Old 03-19-2003, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had a similar problem.
I could get only -.25 deg at the front.

One option is to cut the inside of the strut mount and oblong the adjusting & clearance holes. I figured I would need to cut & trim about .400 to get where I wanted to go (-2 deg). There is an added problem of the "dust cover" of the strut contacting the inside of the fender well.

Another option is something like this. ......

These are made by Tarett Engineering. There's a monoball in there in place of the rubber goodie. They have offset adjustment holes and are narrower than the stock items.
I also lowered the car. With 22.5 inch dia tires, I went to 4.5 inches.. doughnuts to the ground. I can go lower, but one needs to keep the A arms below horizontal (lower at the ball joint end).
Then I needed rack spacers......it never ends, eh?

Bending the strut is a bad idea. One could lenghten the A arm.
I looked at that. An extra .5 inch would do wonders. Getting there would be a b!tch and one would have to be very careful not to weaken the part....I passed.

The Tarret mounts fall into the "not cheep" catagory, tho.
The dust covers went into the round file.
All this got me right at -2 deg.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

And cost +2, so you are even.

(looks both ways, crosses, gets creamed)

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 03-19-2003, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

JP thank you for the reply thought bending the strut was a bad idea but wanted to check
how do I get a hold of tarett engineering
thank you for the pic. that helped a lot and saying to trash the dust cover because that was my next question
Thanks Dale
Old 03-20-2003, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
JP's car is a racer. Racers get inspected a lot more often and more thoroughly than street cars. On a street car, it might be a good idea to use some kind of dust cover. I've seen plastic or rubber accordion-like things used on other cars; that may be a worthwhile option to keep the dirt and rocks out.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-20-2003, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

great minds think alike bought the rubber accordin thngs this morning
this is not going to be a daily driver it is street leagel but used just for fun and autox (I inspect frequently)
Old 03-20-2003, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Dale:

Ok, we'll swap. tarett.com for the strut mounts.....now, where didja get the rubber bellows dust cover thingys? I've been semi-lookin' for some.

Hay, mine's still street legal, kinda...mostly
Old 03-20-2003, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

They used to sell some really spiffy rubber accordian type covers at motorcycle shops for covering the front fork tubes on MX bikes. They came in all kinds of colors, not sure of that sort of thing is still in fashion. last time I bought some they were around $10 each, prolly 4 or 5 times that now.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Summit Racing sells Skyjacker shock boots (the accordian thingies) in eight colors. They are under the truck catagory, $2.50 each.
http://www.summitracing.com

Phil
Old 03-20-2003, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Got my THINGYS at local 4x4 shop plenty of those in kansas

thanks for help
Dale
Old 03-21-2003, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: