Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914-6 what to look for mechanically?

Hey guys -
I was thinking about purchasing a local 914-6. Purchase is contengent on the possible sale of my 75. I have had 2 4's and a 6 would be a new experience for me. Its a stock 2.0 engine with 77K on it. Car has been stored for 2 years with stabilizer in the tank. What kind of things should be looked for in a mechanical inspection of this car? I know the 6s are quite expensive to rebuild ( $8K ? is that right?). I wouldnt want to get involved in a engine rebuild. So, I guess the standard compression and leak down test. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Tod,

Like any model 914, the key thing to look for in a 914/6 is rust.

That said, key things to look for:

- Correct 914/6 rear brake calipers (very $$, does the parking brake work?)
- Turn signal switch working (almost unobtainable)
- Correct trim pieces on dash around steering column
- Wiring harnesses relatively intact
- Marelli or Bosch dizzy (Bosch preferrable)
- Working tach (requires a $ ballast resistor on relay board)
- Windshield washer bottle is different
- Windshield wiper switch is unique
- condition of sheet metal around engine (NOS is $$ and rare)
- condition of carbs, rebuild/rebushing can be incredibly expensive
- like any 911 engine, insist on proper compression and leakdown tests
- 914/6 heat exchangers. Very expensive to replace. Check for rust. If the car has headers, deduct some $$.

Costs on rebuilding a 914/6 engine (1969 911T motor) entirely depends on what you want to do with it, and how long you want it to last. If you want to build it up to a "S-spec" motor, then bring money. If it's reasonably solid now, and you just want to freshen, it's not so bad.

As an option to rebuilding, 2.7/3.0 motors can be picked up relatively cheaply. The Weber carbs that are on the car will support motors up to about 2.7L, and possibly 3.0. (I don't recall exactly.)

hope this helps,
Rusty
Old 04-06-2003, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
What do you want it for....originallity? Follow Rusty's direction....

Bad boy six with the correct VIN? It's better for resale, not much else at least now.....could change in 10 years.

Best to get someone else's conversion of a /4 vinned car and then build from there...UNLESS the price of the /6 is a good deal. Meaning less than 8K.....
Old 04-07-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: