Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dc914guy
Engine Pics / Project Progress

Hello All~
I got a ton done on the car this weekend. I cleaned and painted the engine / trans, finished the hose install, stripped the rust off the exhaust / painted, and cleaned the tranny.. I am pretty sure that we are ready to pull everything back into the car. Anyway I am throwing some pictures out there and looking for some comments (good or bad) about my work, and anything else I might want to do before doing the big re-install..

Thanks,
~Eric

What I had to start off with:

What it turned into:

Tranny Clean:

Exhaust:
Old 04-07-2003, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

All I can say is WOW Eric! Very impressive! Thanks for posting those pics.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Very nice!

BTW, do you need to have the 75-76 exhaust for smog purposes? If not, backdating to a 73-74 2.0 exhaust (muffler, muffler hanger, heat exchangers, heater parts) can get you some power.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-07-2003, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Dave~
I would love to backdate my exhaust, in fact I was planning on doing so. I got my hands on a used Bursch exhaust system the weekend after I got the car, the problem is the exhaust does not match up with the heat exchangers that I have on my car. Is there an adapter plate I can buy? The person who I got the exhaust system from told me it was from a 75 2.0 (just like mine). Or am I in the market for a new exhaust system? And if so what would you recommend?

Thanks,
~Eric

Here is the Bursch that I have:
Old 04-07-2003, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Eric,

Provided that you don't have a smog issue, you can just find a set of '73-'74 heat exchangers in order to backdate the exhaust system. I think they should bolt right up.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Sweet!! I'll start looking around for some!

Thanks,
~Eric
Old 04-07-2003, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice work on the engine. What a difference!

As Dave stated you will also need a 73-74 style muffler hanger bracket to go with the 73-74 heat exchangers and Bursch exhaust. Or perhaps you could modify the 75-76 bracket.

By the way, I recently bought the same tranny jack that you have from Harbour Freight. Mine is red though, to match my car! I would have liked to get an ATV lift, but for the limited use it will see I thought the tranny jack would work for fewer $$.

Mike

Last edited by maf 914; 04-07-2003 at 09:00 AM..
Old 04-07-2003, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Eric,

Very nice job! Looks like you have the right facilities for that type of work.

Mike,
What is the weight capacity of the tranny lift?

Enough to handle the engine/tranny combo?

I have the ATV lift you spoke of. The only drawback to it is that the front casters are fixed, and don't swivel. This means you have to place the lift in at an angle, and extract the engine at an angle. This gets tough with little room to rotate the lift and keep the engine from bumping into things.

Regards,

Gerard
Old 04-07-2003, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Eric -

Fantastic! You've got to feel really proud what your work has come to.

What did you use to get the heat-caked grime off the transmission? I'm having a particularly difficult time getting
mine cleaned up.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Bob,

FWIW - I had very good luck with heavy duty "Easy Off" oven cleaner.

Enjoy!
Old 04-07-2003, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The best thing I found to clean the tranny was Castrol Super Clean, you can find it on the web or at just about any auto parts store. I used about a gallon on the tranny, and used a power washer to clean it, you can get inside all of the small cracks with a tooth brush, that seemed to work well.

As for the rest of the engine, it took a lot of brake clean, some sand paper, about a pack of rubber gloves and some time :-)

If you happen to be in the VA/DC area, I would be happy to help.

~Eric
Old 04-07-2003, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Anyone have any luck with Gunk whn it comes to cleaning the Tranny and Engine? I was thinking about doing that when I replace my clutch. Wow, that doesn't even look like the same engine. Very nice job (cringes with envy)

2000 VW Jetta VR6
1989 BMW 325i with premium broken speaker package
1973 Porsche 914 1.7 SOLD
Old 04-08-2003, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

3D914,

The transmission jack is rated at 450 lbs so it should handle the combined weight of the engine/tranny. I currently have my engine sitting on it. All four casters swivel so you can move it in any direction, assuming the floor is smooth.

I cleaned my tranny with Simple Green. Not as agressive as Castrol Super Cleaner, but a little more user friendly. Lots of elbow grease, brushes and a small scraper. Now it's clean with a nice dull mottled gray oxidized magnesium finish! I quit using Gunk degreaser long ago because I didn't like the smell in my car. Simple Green and Castrol are not as funky smelling in my opinion.

Mike
Old 04-08-2003, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Mike
were can I pick up one of those jacks?
Old 04-12-2003, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The tranny jack was from Harbour Freight. They have mail order and a few retail stores. For some reason they opened one in Savannah, a relatively small market I would think. I got lucky and got mine for $40. Normal price was $59 or $69 but the store was having some sort of sale and when I checked out I was only charged $40. I had some other stuff and didn't realize the price until I studied the receipt afterwards.

The jack, like so many other things these days, is made in China and may be available from other tool sellers. I have seen the same ATV lifts and floor jacks sold in Harbour Freight and other discount retailers.

Mike
Old 04-12-2003, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
Very nice!

BTW, do you need to have the 75-76 exhaust for smog purposes? If not, backdating to a 73-74 2.0 exhaust (muffler, muffler hanger, heat exchangers, heater parts) can get you some power.

--DD
DD:

By backdating and ditching some of the smog gear, how do you deal with the smog components still hooked up to the ECU (ie decel valve and the sensor located in the muffler? THeres nothing left of my stock smog style setup since its all rusted and want to go with thedual pipes and more free flowing muffler. WDYT?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The FI doesn't control any of the smog stuff. The sensor in the tailpipe has something to do with the catalytic converter, and I think turns on a dash light when the Cat goes over temp. But it doesn't tie into the FI.

The decel valve is just a normal part of the FI. The EGR, if fitted, is vacuum controlled and not electrical. Cap off the vacuum lines going to it and you're done.

Note that you need all the smog equipment in CA, as they still do check the 75-76 cars.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-18-2003, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: