Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Transmission Replace Help, James???

I need to swap transmissions on our 1974 914 and since I am getting a little old could use some help. I would like to do it this weekend (sat) and if there is anyone in the San Diego area that could help I sure could use some. I have Speed channel in the garage and my wife makes most excellant Mexican food for dinner! If there are some who have never seen this it would be a good experience to see and help with. Saturday would be best if possible??? Call me at 619 544-7513 days or 619-691-8640 eves for any info if you could help??
Old 04-08-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Will any James do?

I would love to visit SD and I love Mexican food - if only I was a little closer...

JWest Engineering
Old 04-08-2003, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You didn't say anything about beer.................
Old 04-08-2003, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I didn't memtion beer as I don't drink, but after the swap is done it can be arranged. If anyone wants to visit from out of town, that is great and you don't even have to bring any tools!!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest I could lend a hand

John;

I think I can steal some time Saturday a.m. Do you have any of that started? As it is, a swap won't take much longer that 2 hours or so, depending on how much screwing around we do (and as long as we don't snap/strip an exhaust stud in the process! Too damned easy to do.)

I'll give you a call.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I plan to have the top stuff disconnected, the car up on stands, muffler off and the cables disconnected. I have been told by several people that the headers do not have to come off for just a swap? I plan to try to get started about 8AM or so?
Old 04-08-2003, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
Yep, I can help out.

We have the technology....we can make it better than it was...better...stronger...faster...

Exhaust comes off but just wire the heat exchangers in place. Pull the starter off and disconnect the CV joints and support the engine with a jack.

Are we doing a quick rebuild or a swap?

James

858-272-4242 hm
619-920-3663 cell
Old 04-08-2003, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey John, Looks like you got a good crew, but I would love to help
I'll give you a call, I live real close to you now!

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 04-08-2003, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses James, Kenny and Herb. I talked to James and he'd like to go through the existing tranny since it seems it is the bearings as it still shifts great so we'll do that. Anyone is more than welcome to drive down from LA or Orange CO or even fly in from TX if you want to see the master do his magic. Milt, Chris or you guys from up there are welcome to join in.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: