Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
One side of the engine hotter than the other??? Help...

Hello,

I have been trying to nail down my overheating engine for a while. I finally got one of those laser temp, point and shoot gauges to get accurate temps from the car. What I found is very puzzling...

The top of the head temps on the drivers side when hot (Oil says 240) is 300 degrees. The top of the heads on the passanger side is 355 degrees. I checked air flow and it seems to be fine. I can feel air comming out of the cooler area and somewhat out the back. The passanger side seems to have more air coming out of the back, but if I pull up on the Spark Plug boots on each side I get about the same amount of air comming out on both sides.

I have not Pulled the tin and I am trying to do everything possible before I have to. The cooling flaps are there and every indication tells me they are working. (If I pull back on the flap bar, air stops comming out of the cooler area.)

All I can think of is that possibly the passage for the oil to flow through the cooler is blocked. I never get the oil pressure light to come on except when stating the car. I went out and pulled some fast onramp turns to try and make it come on, hot cold, it never would. Though it used to come on when the car was hot before I tuned it and set the correct timing and idle on the car. I don't have the tuna can or sump plate or a full oil pressure gauge.

I am stumped at how this is happening, Any Ideas?

CAR:
75 914 1.8 stock
stock L-JET FI set to run rich by lossening the air meter spring.
All pugs have identical slighly rich soot on the outside of the plug.
CO meter says I am running 12.25 if 14.7 is normal Air/Fuel ratio.

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0

Last edited by rockaria; 04-10-2003 at 08:08 PM..
Old 04-10-2003, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not sure what to tell you, but your passenger head temp is ok. Id be curious why yor drivers side is lower. A few idea's come to mind"
Valves properly adjusted?
Lower engine tin in place, beneath both heads and cylinders?
Any vacuum leaks?
Any exhaust leaks from the cylinders?
Nothing is in the cooling fans way?
Could be something under the tin (i know you didn't want me to say that...)
Maybe thr passengers side cylinders are more dirty, trapping more heat...???

If your oil cooler is partially blocked, wouldn't that effect all oil, creating head temps that are similar?
Old 04-10-2003, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Possible intake leak on that side. The tin is not to hard to pull, never know what you might find.... dirt saturated oil, leaves, animal fur, or even critters
Old 04-11-2003, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Critters? At 350 degrees those babies would be toasted!

Mike
Old 04-11-2003, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Critters... That is funny and actually the first thing my mechanic said. The thing is that the car runs perfect, pulls hard and drives like a dream. I think maybe I should throw the Temp Gauge out of the window and enjoy!

Wait a sec, The Temp Gauge was made by "Lucas". I have heard that the only thing that company ever made that did not suck was a Vaccum cleaner... Just joking...

Can you tell I need a project 914 BAD?

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0
Old 04-11-2003, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE][i] I think maybe I should throw the Temp Gauge out of the window and enjoy!

Hey Chris, I think that is a good Idea drive & Enjoy

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 04-11-2003, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That type of temp gauge is not very accurate for that application, get a temp probe and a multitester that measures temp and you will be better off.

1972 1.7L resto in progress
1997 blazer
1985 F250 (stump puller)
Old 04-11-2003, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: