Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

While I am there...

Continuing with the steering and front brake rebuild. I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered a new 19mm master cylinder. It is amazing how easy it was to install with the the left front brakes and tie-rod out. The calipers are easy to rebuild... One note... while I was blowing out the first piston with some compressed air from a bike pump... the piston was "stuck." Keep pumping... then I went to stick my finger in there just in time to feel it come unstuck and blow out, whacking my fingers... ouch!..

Now another upgrade bug is biting me... I am looking at the strut and thinking, "While I have this all apart. Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade to the Bilsteins or something now?" hmmm... another $300 whew! I am not sure what I am asking for here... comments, moral support, or someone to hit me with a heavy wrench on the head and say, enough already... any thoughts, and recommendations on the shock upgrade?...

Thanks, Dave
Old 10-07-1999, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

_____ _____
/ \ / \
/____ \_________/ ____\
| |
____| _________ |____
\ / \ /
\_____/ \_____/

Ok, now come over here
Old 10-07-1999, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, that was a wrench... looks like it got the worse end. I live in MI, so during the winter I typically have the engine pulled and car torn apart every year. So I hold project off tell then if I can. Just my thoughts (and poorly drawen wrench)
Old 10-07-1999, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Personally I can't recommend upgrading to stiffer shocks. I've been
on the Bilsteins that came with the car, and I haven't been able to
keep my fillings in place ever since - it's so stiff it'll give you headaches.
I really enjoy the great handling, but my wife ocasionally refuses to
ride in the car because it's such a hard ride. Save the cash and
enjoy passengers!

Paul
Old 10-07-1999, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hmmn. Somebody on Rennlist just bought new Boge shocks for his 914 and said that they were too soft for his liking. My car has KYB's on the rear so I figured that I'd just go ahead and put some on the front as well. Does anybody else have KYB's on their 914 and can comment on the ride and handling? My car is still in the rustoration phase,

Thanks,
Alpine
Old 10-07-1999, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
KYBs are supposed to be VERY stiff. Konis less so, Bilstiens less than them. Then Boges, then on down the line.

This is a very broad generalization, BTW--most of those companies have several different 914 shocks. I know Koni does, at least.

Konis are supposed to be just a little better for handling than Bilstiens, and KYBs a bit less so. Boges bring up the rear on this list.

My 914 has had Konis on it since I bought it. Orange "regular" ones at first, now Gas Sport (yellow) ones.

--DD
Old 10-07-1999, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Let's really stir up the plot on this thread... let's suppose I have $300 to spend.. and I can spend it on upgrading the front shocks from whatever (and they seem to be at least functional) to Bilsteins or I can spend it on the Weltmesiter Front Sway Bar, (Based on Pelican Prices... this is about the same amount of money spent)... which upgrade will improve my handling the most?.... in either case, what is the trade-off on the 19mm vs the 22mm sway bar?

Thanks ahead of time for the education.

- Dave
Old 10-07-1999, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The 19mm sway bar is for a street/sometimes racer. The 22mm would be more appropriate for a dedicated racer....
Old 10-08-1999, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
How about adjustable Koni's?
Old 10-08-1999, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Why are the Koni's so expensive? What is the adjustment range?, (e.g. normal street OEM ride to hard as as rock race setting in 4 steps). How simple is the adjustment procedure once installed?
Old 10-08-1999, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The range of adjustment on the yellow Koni Gas Sport shocks goes from HARD to ROCK HARD. You turn a "tab" up at the top of the shock; usually by putting a knob (that Koni supplies with the shock) onto the tab. It's about 2 or 3 full turns from soft to hard.

There are other Koni shocks that you have to fully compress and then turn the shaft when you want to adjust them. There is another type with a button you press somewhere on the body of the shock, but I forget the details. (It was a friend's 911 that had those.)

The Konis that aren't the yellow ones are softer, of course. But the handling at the limit isn't quite as good.

--DD
Old 10-08-1999, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: