Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Headers

I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with the Kerry Hunter headers? If so, do you know how much of a H.P. gain there is if any? Would Super Trapps work well with these? Also I would like to get a reliable 150hp out of my 2.0. Is a big bore kit the way to go, or is there a better solution(Stroking?)? How far can the stock fuel injection go until you have to start looking elswhere for a higher performance fuel injection setup or carbs? Oh yeah before anybody says anything about the carb thing, I am in the originality camp with you and would love my car to have the stock fuel injection, but the P.O. got to it before me and stuck on the Dell'Orto 40s on(ARRRRGGG!!!). They will be gone some day. Oh and one more thing, does anyone know how much H.P. just from bolt on goodies? You know the basic do it yourselfer type stuff. Not the basic machinist do it yourselfer, you know what I mean. Do you know how much H.P. you have collectivly gained from your bolt stuff? Basically what I am trying to find out what works best and what does not. Your help is greatly appreciated and I know I did not just stick to headers, but my mind just love to ramble on about these cars. I just love em!

------------------
Old 10-31-1999, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
Kerry Hunter Headers..
it's 350 for the headers, another 100 or so for the supertrapp. Just installed it on my own '73 2.0L... I can't tell you how much i gained in HP since i've never taken it on a dyno run, and any number i give you will be pretty subjective. Observations though, much better low-end torque, better jump off the line. Much better sound, although some might argue it's too loud. I thought it was too, at first, but you get used to it. spools up/accels faster around 3500. I actually pass people up on the freeway without downshifting now.
worth the money?.. depends on your pocket, but i'd do it over again (and i'm a starving college student with rent, food, utilities, etc..
I'd be interested in finding out how to squeeze more out of a 4 banger too.. time for you o'timers to chime in..

Jeff
Old 10-31-1999, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Hey Oredith, Are you carbed or injected?
Old 10-31-1999, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

everything is basically stock.. including FI.. timing is advanced a bit.. and i've got one of those make-your-car-louder-tubes that the rice boys have.. not that you really notice the difference now with the headers.. and i built my own K&N-like tube from home depot.. (self defense).. the tube does allow the engine to breath easier.. spools a bit faster.. (i had that on before the headers, so i actually noticed then)

Jeff
Old 10-31-1999, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
To answer one of your original questions...bolting on stuff does NOT give you more HP....it is kind of like teaching a pig to sing, a waste of time and annoys the pig....

The only way to get 150 hp out of a Type IV motor is to split the case, replace the P&Cs, get a decent cam and THEN bolt on the carbs....be advised that the 100,000 mile motor is now a 30,000 mile motor....if you are lucky. BTDT, good luck....

Old 10-31-1999, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mikez,

BS, you can indeed "bolt on" more effeciency, but not power. I'd like to show you a little "bolt on" turbo kit from Dinan on my BMW535is. Yes bolt on and MUCH more power.

Again this is effeciency. So look at headers, are you saying that exhaust restriction is a non-issue? BS go tear out ANY cat from ANY car and you'll notice it. Also by bringing down back pressure you will not over work an engine.

So do I believe every little "bolt on" story? NO. Can you blanket statement all "bolt on's", again NO!

Ian

BTW The bimmer has been running ~12lbs of boost for all 253Kmi of it's life. Only one head reuild, and that was due to rocker failure at 247Kmi, about time. . .
Old 11-01-1999, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Don't expect anything above 120 HP with bolt-on stuff. (Extrapolating from a local autoX/time trial class, mostly stock with 0.5 CR increase.) Most of that probably comes from the headers and muffler. You'll probably need to tweak your FI to get the most out of the motor with that setup, as well.

Bolting on forced induction, of course, changes things drastically... But will also be hard on the motor.

If you want to get up to 150 HP, the easiest thing is probably to increase the displacement. Compression alone won't get you there. Compression and a cam might, but it'll be tough to drive at low RPMs, and it'll only eat race gas. But for any of these we're talking about pulling the motor apart...

--DD
Old 11-01-1999, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
OK....I did not mention a turbocharger....but...you can't turbo a Type IV and get 150HP from a stock bottom ended TypeIV AND expect it to last. Most people would not even consider a turbo....I did a 2.0 Rajay turbo back in '79 and it really moved. BUT it ran HOT and the bottom end suffered.

Once the bottom end was rebuilt to withstand the added pressures and the cooling issues were sorted out, it was 150+. However, I would hardly call that "bolt on".

The ORIGINAL question was bolt on...Most newby 914 people expect instant HP gain from the installation of $300 worth of used carbs, fuel pump and a 009 dizzy. We all know that is not so....the stock cam has no overlap, the 009 sucks, and the installation of carbs looks nice, but is usually a sign of a hack job by a lazy mechanic and/or owner.

Headers...real ones...I know of maybe five people that actually have 914 headers. Heck, half the people out there think that headers are the things that bolt onto the heat exchangers...

To close, 150hp is possible from a Type IV. But to do it properly involves a tear down and the right parts, both bottom and top end...of course that is just my opinion...

[This message has been edited by mikez (edited 11-01-1999).]
Old 11-01-1999, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Where can you get these Kerry Hunter headers? Do they have a web site?
Old 11-01-1999, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

kerry hunter enterprises is basically kerry hunter.. "he's got a real job on the side, only does this because he races too" or something like that, so i was told when i asked the same question on this list a couple of months back.. if you don't want to read the other stuff others had to say on it, ignore the search. His numbers are:
order : 888.626.7911 (toll free!)
tech : 505.622.2803
e-mail : khunter@baervan.nmt.edu

you get a little black cup warmer with your headers too!.. (that's where i'm getting the numbers from)

good luck

Jeff
Old 11-01-1999, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: