Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

FRAME

I am in desperate need of a spec sheet of frame dimensions. I am at frame-up status and need to replace inner rockers. How would you support the front and rear of the car to replace such important and load bearing section and ensure proper frame alignment??????????????????????????Also, keep in mind that I DO have a budget.
Old 11-12-1999, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Support it any way you can. For measurements, check on the 914 Club's homepage.

http://www.dgi.net/914/914body/914body.html

--DD
Old 11-12-1999, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
How far apart is the car?
If you know of a body shop that has a Cellette dedicated bench for repairing collision damage you could set the car up on dedicated fixtures like the factory.
(Just kidding)
This is my suggestion; Get some 1"X3" light gauge steel tubing from the local steel supply or even the hardware store, You will also need some of those screwlegs they use under work benchs. After safely supporting the car on jack stands(look for a place you can put them so they won't interfere with your work) with the doors and targa in place. Now build a sturdy jackstand device with the screw legs on the top. Place one of these on each out board corner, Now check your door gaps, adjust the screw legs to even out the door gaps. Now climb inside the car.(I'm assuming all the interior is removed) Take the 1"X3" tubing and build and weld in an "X" brace from the inside base of the targa to the cowl. If you do this right you will now be able to remove the doors with no ill effects. LEAVE THE TARGA TOP ON UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED REPLACING ALL THE STRUCTURE! The welding proccess will move the two halfs around. This sounds like alot but I know a couple of guys that tried to repair a 61 chev convertible and couldn't get the doors back on. The car was scrapped.
Good luck

[This message has been edited by rich (edited 11-13-1999).]
Old 11-13-1999, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: