Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Adjustable illumination for console gauges?

I recently installed a center console in my car and discovered that the lights for the console gauges are not affected by the dimmer function of the headlight switch. I assume this was the stock setup for the console gauges. Has anyone tried pulling power for the gauge lights from the wire going to the illuminated heat/defrost indicator which is adjustable from the headlight switch?
Old 11-11-1999, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My center console lights dim. I have a '73 and I beleive that it is stock. I can take a good look at my car later to tell you what needs to be done exactly. I do however think that the gauges are hooked to the wrong power line. Perhaps the headlight power line instead of the power line for the dash. This would cause a const voltage to run regardless of the dimmer. Look to see what line runs to the gauges that dim, splice into it and then run a line for the center console to that. you should see that they now dim. I you solder that together and shrink wrap it, you have yourself a fix.
Old 11-12-1999, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My stock 74 center console lights do not dim.

But I have a similar question...My main gauge lights seem very dim to me even when fully turned up. Is this a common condition with 914's? I can barely see my gauges sometimes...let me know your experiences
Old 11-12-1999, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check the voltage at the bulbs. Our 1974 had several poor connectors and a couple of bad sockets and after replacement of the parts and bulbs with new ones the lights are much brighter. Should have 12 volts or so I think. Might want to check the ground connectors as some gauges use the body as a ground and some have ground wires connecting all together. Finally check the fuses and connectors on the fuse block to make sure all connections are good. Good luck.
Old 11-12-1999, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
My experience with three different 914's is that the dash gauge illumination is pretty low even at full "brightness". John's suggestion is a good one, but don't expect miracles!
Old 11-13-1999, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: