Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 I Bought Last Sunday, Dave

My "new" car is is pretty bad shape in the sill areas. It has botched repairs on both outside sills. Right one has trimmed angle iron added on. Left has some "tin" tacked on with bird crap welds, not even welded along the top or bottom. I can't figure out why they even bothered with it, all it does is cover up damage that already had a cover over it. I haven't pulled the seat and peeled the carpet back, but there's bound to be damage in there too. I've done some metal fabricating on airplanes and this job doesn't look too tough, I believe I can handle it OK. I'll have to buy a suspension mount box and maybe a couple of other items, but the sills don't look like a big deal. They'll be strong and look like they belong when I get done. I've already figured out how to align everything and how to keep them from ever rusting out again. It took me a while to decide to fix it. Too many other things are very good on the car to give it up for dead. Strange, but there is absolutely no rust in the fenders, doors, lids, or any body panels. I don't get it. With all that corrosion in the sills you'd think the body would look like an old Chevy pickup truck. I'm in no hurry to get things done and figure I'll have a great little driver for under four grand when she's finished. I don't like ANY of the new "Big Brother Government Mandated" cars and this way I can have the kind of car I want at a reasonable price.

------------------
Old 11-13-1999, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
One thig nice about the 914 is the availablity of rust repair panels. Makes the repairs go much faster when you don't have to fabricate EVERTHING like some cars.
Old 11-14-1999, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I peeled the carpet out today. I Don't know what that guy used for glue, but it was like skinning a buffalo without a knife. The damage isn't too bad on the inner sills and floorboards. Most corrosion is confined rear of the seat mount-brace. The parts will be easy to fabricate and weld in. The more I saw the easier it looked.

------------------
Old 11-14-1999, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good luck. If it will help, I have instructions and measurements for fabricating new 914 seat brackets in Pelican's tech tips.
Old 11-15-1999, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rich, I'll buy some parts I need , but the sills are so simple I can fabricate them easily. The sills aren't rotted to the top anywhere so I've still got plenty of good metal to work to. The metal looks to be thinner than 18 guage which is easy to work and that's what I plan to use in the sills and floorboard. The only floorboard repair needed is under the left seat and a narrow strip along the edge of the right sill a little over a foot long.

Ascaris, Thanks for the offer. What I need of that I've got figured out.

------------------
Old 11-15-1999, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: